Ancestral Awakening and Anub 25 heroic

Hey all!

My guild is about to begin 25 Anub hardmode. Though I won't likely be resto for the fight we do have 2 resto shaman (though I rarely am asked to go resto, so it is possible).

I have seen arguments and spoken with many people about Ancestral Awakening in the fight. It seems there is a disconnect between whether it is essential, useless or counterproductive for the fight. My own thoughts are that it is somewhere between useless and counterproductive.

What are others thoughts/experiences?

Re: Ancestral Awakening and Anub 25 heroic

It's mostly gonna be counter productive from my experience of Anub, we're not even using healingstream totems because they heal too much and people that don't need it most of the time.
    edit: Didn't meen randomly, but people without needing heals

We use it, its not going to break the encounter and since it heals the lowest health target its not a big deal and probably helps more than it hurts. The baseline for heroic anub is he heals for 8mil which works out to everyone at 1500 health if you use the entire enrage timer. We've done it with as much as 14mil healed to 6mil healed.

The least amount of damage leech does is 250 no matter how little health you have. A decent healing stream totem and that group wont ever die to leaching swarm.

Thanks for the replies . We are going to use an ele shaman with the HST glyph for one group and myself (enhance) with a spriest for another. Was mostly concerned about overhealing, I guess it depends on our dps. If were fighting the enrage timer then maybe I can bring it up and see if it helps.

Deleted

I would say drop it for anub. Healing needs to be very mimiumal. With HS, JoL, etc sorted in groups you will not need it healing any of those people. It will be counter productive for what you want to achieve.

We use LoTP, Divine Storm, HST, AA, Shadow Priests.... your better off using it then someone dying, its not counter productive, think about how much it heals for and how much the tick is going to be you will laugh and say if we wipe because of it, we will wipe anyways.

Currently, I 've not had a compelling reason to spec out of AA specifically for Anub25 HM. While it is true that AA contributes "excess" healing in phase3, (assuming that everyone is held at approximately 1k health through other means like healing stream, JoL, LotP, downranked hots, etc.), the dps needed to overcome the healing is almost inconsequential. Based on a rough reading of WoL for last night's kill, in phase 3 AA contributed 13.5% of my healing, for a total of ~180k. Based on the total healing for Leeching Swarm (~9.3M), my AA procs directly contributed less than 2% of the total healing Anub received.

As to healing stream, a glyphed and specced resto shaman will assure that a group can sustain itself through phase3 with no other supplemental healing. Mine ticks for around 570/2sec, making it just over the 250/second needed to cover minimum leeching swarm damage. (By way of contrast, our enhancement shaman's healing stream ticks for ~260/2sec; our elemental shaman's ticks for ~280/2sec.)

So we didn't get to phase 3 on our first night of attempts anyway. Only did 6 or 7, just to get a feel for the fight.

Anyway, from what I gather from everything then is: Yes it contributes to "excess" heals. However, as long as you are prepared enough group-wise healing, it shouldn't be an issue unless you are really going over enrage (in which case you have other bigger problems).

My healing stream was ticking for 260ish and our ele's 295ish (unglyphed). The two resto's were only ticking for 440 or so, so I guess they can glyph theirs and we can use a spriest with our ele. We have imp LotP and JoL so my healing stream probably won't be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kudzupo
    Hey all!

My guild is about to begin 25 Anub hardmode. Though I won't likely be resto for the fight we do have 2 resto shaman (though I rarely am asked to go resto, so it is possible).

I have seen arguments and spoken with many people about Ancestral Awakening in the fight. It seems there is a disconnect between whether it is essential, useless or counterproductive for the fight. My own thoughts are that it is somewhere between useless and counterproductive.

What are others thoughts/experiences?
    is it counterproductive? yes.

can it cause a wipe? yes.

is it likely or really worth speccing out of? no.

the last really good attempt before we killed him he dropped down to 11k ticked up to like .4% enraged and 1 tick of swarm wiped us. had i not had AW it would have been a kill.

also a ele shaman can drop thunderstorm and take imp healing totems+glyph to cover a group if you lack enough resto shamans/shadowpriests to cover all your ranged