Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: The Lower Karazhan (Karazhan Crypt) Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ppaladin123
    I just wanted to point out that "the upside-down sinners," is a reference to and a recreation of a locale in John Carpenter's, "Big Trouble in Little China." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090728/

If you haven't already seen this movie you should immediately. It also inspired the Mortal Kombat series and is referenced in the in-game item, "the six demon bag" (wind, fire...that sort of thing).

In the movie they reference several "Chinese Hells."

# The Hell of Being Cut to Pieces
    # The Hell of Boiling Oil
    # The Hell of the Upside Down Sinners
    # The Hell Where People are Skinned Alive
    # The Hell of the Oily Dragon

The only one that actually shows up is the Hell of the Upside-down Sinners. It is just as shown in lower Karazhan and quite scary.

If there are any other oldtimers reading this post they'll back me up.
    Damn, wish I had read this yesterday, my friend and I saw this movie was on last night, he said it was good, but I didn't have a clue really what it was, so we didn't watch it. =/

I don't know, sounds interesting... scary/creepy... would maybe still watch it.

Having read The Last Guardian (which I might say, WAS AN EXCEPTIONAL BOOK) I really do want to see this place put into the game as a raid, if it was, I'd come back to the game in a heart-beat. One of my favorite spots in the whole lore-wise story of WoW.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_jesus
    perhpas you assist Medan
    No. Med'an is a terrible character, and, if we're lucky, he will die without ever setting foot in WoW.
    In fact, having read some information about the current WoW comic, I suspect we'll be getting very lucky.
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

The Slough of Dispair might have been a place where Medivh learned of his inner demons(Sargeras) and realized that his power came from those demons. Hence the despair of seperation.
    "The reign of a nation is infinite, where as the leader is finite."
    -The Commander

Absolutely mysterious! Thanks for sharing that.

Hard to argue that Blizzard doesn't have plans for it. The Upside-Down Sinners thing is very chilling.
    Rule# 1: Do not turn a creature of lesser intelligence into a creature of higher intelligence - Cerebral brain function rarely translates in a polymorph... But sometimes it does. Voracious creatures such as serpents and wolves need not have their predatory instincts honed with a human mind. We feel obligated to quote Small Claims Disaster Case 12651-B, Labeled, "Bartholomew: The Bear who Bears Arms."
    -Polymorphic Rules and Regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc
    Damn, wish I had read this yesterday, my friend and I saw this movie was on last night, he said it was good, but I didn't have a clue really what it was, so we didn't watch it. =/

I don't know, sounds interesting... scary/creepy... would maybe still watch it.

Having read The Last Guardian (which I might say, WAS AN EXCEPTIONAL BOOK) I really do want to see this place put into the game as a raid, if it was, I'd come back to the game in a heart-beat. One of my favorite spots in the whole lore-wise story of WoW.

The movie is actually rather campy and funny (see for example the six demon bag) with a few creepy creatures/locals mixed in. It's definitely not a horror movie...more like kung-fu comedy with with demons.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamOfTheRood
    No. Med'an is a terrible character, and, if we're lucky, he will die without ever setting foot in WoW.
    In fact, having read some information about the current WoW comic, I suspect we'll be getting very lucky.
    I agree and disagree with this. Med'an is a character that was sorta pushed into Lore. But new Lore is allways nice.

An interesting thing about the Slough of DISPAIR is the way its spelled

"Your country is like an old maid servant; accustomed to being raped by everyone." - Napoleon

My favorite part of the pit of upside down sinners is that it implies that the possible instance would be heavily influenced by Big Trouble in Little China.

I never drive faster than my eyes can see, and besides like I told my ex-wife, it's all in the reflexes.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Daxter
    I gotta admit, you did your research.

I believe the lower crypt was meant to be an encounter during vanilla WoW, since it was also open during that time. (It even featured an instance portal back then)

However, i believe only time will tell, and who knows it could be a possible addition in Cataclysm.

After all Karazhan was home to Medivh....and who is Medivh's son and upcoming Guardian of the Tirisfal?

Yeah, this was a great read - thank you for that alone. Will post again with my thoughts.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    I agree and disagree with this. Med'an is a character that was sorta pushed into Lore. But new Lore is allways nice.
    Yes, but there's only so far you can go. All powerful character, he's a priest (or paladin), shaman and mage all in one package. The Guardian idea was interesting - immortal watchers, all that shit - but seriously, this has all the makings of a vengeful god. Hopefully Cho'thun eats him or something.
    Originally Posted by Fargo (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    The primordial soup that creates heroes never tastes of rainbows -- it’s a lumpy gumbo of suffering and evil.

I am also interested in the cryp and i have an interesting theroy. Do you know the game Vagrant Story? The karazhan crypt looks a lot like some VS areas, not to mention that each room of the game receives a name and some are pretty similar to the ones in Karazhan crypt and some wow areas. I wouldnt be surprised if its a big reference because its really similar and remids me a lot to VS. It feels so familiar that i wouldnt be surprised if its a copy of an area or several unconected rooms from it.

Some areas from VS:

Notice peddler´s way, wich is similar to pauper´s walk, and the punishement of sinners theme, with many areas named after torment aplied to sinners.

01. He Screams for Mercy
    07. Sin and Punishment
    05. Where the Shoul Rots
    M. FORGOTTEN PATHWAY
    01. Stair to the Sinners
    02. Slaughter of the Innocent
    03. The Oracle Sins no More
    04. The Fallen Knight
    05. Awaiting Retribution
    R. UNDERCITY WEST
    01. The Bread Peddler's Way
    02. Way of the Mother Lode
    03. Sewer of Ravenous Rats
    04. Beggars of the Mouthharp
    05. Corner of the Wretched
    06. Crossroads of Rest
    07. Path to the greengrocer
    08. Path of the Children
    09. Underdark Fishmarket
    10. The Sunless Way
    11. Remembering Days of Yore
    12. Larder for a Lean Winter
    13. Where the Hunter Climbed
    14. Hall of Poverty
    15. Where Flood Waters Ran
    16. The Crumbling Market
    17. Tears from Empty Sockets
    18. The Washing-Woman's Way
    19. Nameless Dark Oblivion
    20. Sinner's Corner
    21. The Children's Hideout
    22. Fear of the Fall
    23. Corner of Prayers
    24. Hope Obstructed
    25. Salvation for the Mother
    26. The Body Fragile Yields
    27. Bite the Master's Wounds
    K. GREAT CATHEDRAL L3
    01. The Heretics' Story
    02. Despair of the Fallen
    03. The Wine-Lecher's Fall
    04. Hopes of the idealist
    05. Where the Shoul Rots

Looks very wow classic in design, even has some Naxx look & feel to it. It would be cool to see some of these areas come back to life though! great vid

I just went down and had a look. nice area. i hope they use it for something. upside-down room was by far the most interesting little area. the Pauper's Walk reminded me of running around Rome a little

took me about 5 attempts to get the standing position when using the stuck command but well worth the tour

I read that blizz didnt implement this becuase it would have boosted the rating to M

Humm.. I was thinking and, this is just a theory, IF its the Up-Side-Down of Karazhan that can mean one thing: Emerald Dream. Since most of the things inside the Emerald Dream are the up-side-down of reality. It might be that... But we don't know if it will be accessible in Cataclysm. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by acidragoon
    I read that blizz didnt implement this becuase it would have boosted the rating to M
    Nah, there's already a warning that the rating may change during online play, and since it's always online, they ought to add in racist caricatures and see how far they go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

I would love if they opened it up as a raid! I actually miss doing Kara after doing it weekly for so long lol. I think Im one of the few that never got sick of that place.

I always considered the actual Lower Karazhan and Karazhan Crypts (speculatively, of course). Lower Karazhan being the place where Medivh was killed by Lothar, Khadgar and Garona, where Medivh's private quarters are. I wouldn't be surprised if Medivh actually is still on Azeroth and alive, living in Lower Karazhan now.

Supposedly the dangers in Lower Karazhan are far greater than in Upper Karazhan, similar to the castle in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Its a good possibility that whoever the new Lich King becomes might make Karazhan his new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground
    Its a good possibility that whoever the new Lich King becomes might make Karazhan his new home.
    why the hell is that a good possibility ;D
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering