Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Two Handed use and Shaman tanking - Official thread

<3 levva for making this thread....

i remember back in the day i use to get on "tanking" duties if one of the OT's fall in zg and aq20...
    it was so much fun, and i even had a green set that gave me enough def to be capped :P

15+ Year Old Account

Pure old school nostalgia baby,
    Getting out either HoR, or the C'thun disoriento axe, dressing in my 2.5 and doing AV.

Back when Rockbiter gave like 720 AP at level 60 and Stormstrike was a triggered WF effect.
    Good times.
    Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Tealge
    <3 levva for making this thread....

i remember back in the day i use to get on "tanking" duties if one of the OT's fall in zg and aq20...
    it was so much fun, and i even had a green set that gave me enough def to be capped :P
    I too used to have the task of OT the first add in Magtheridon's Lair whilst the other tanks dealt with the other ones on the platform. That was more of just equipping a shield until that mob was dead. Never bothered getting defence gear though, just swapped 1h for shield and healers spammed me.

I once had my own personal shaman tank build. Have tanked BRD in Vanilla Also Ragnaros in BGs was win

Good thread and interested in other comments

I tank ony/koloron just fine. Theres videos for those fights on my youtube site. It's not actually as difficult as you'd think, i do voa 10 with 2 healers, though i generally bring 3 to do ony. Shaman tanking doesn't really get ugly till you hit the 25mans or the hard modes. Koloron is pretty easy to offtank, since he only hits for magic damage (which is not mitigatable by armor.) A warlock can offtank it just fine.

also casting a heal while tanking is not a good idea since you won't be able to avoid any damage.
    My heals are instant cast. Sometimes in 5mans you'll see me pop a heal before maelstrom procs to full, but thats just 5mans.

Fights must be really slow since not many DPS (and no enrage timer) And for 5 man heroics marking and CCing is so BC, WotLK is all about chain pulling and blasting through heroics in 10-15 mins.
    My shaman blasts through heroics just as quickly as my other tanks. When i do heroics i bring my wifes rogue, and shes like a food processor, doing 4-6k dps in heroics. In order to pull aggro off my shaman in 5mans, you have to outthreat me AND my crazy tricks glyphed wife.
    A rogue does outstanding threat generation for 5mans, though a LITTLE bit of caution should be exercised by the dps in 10mans, it's very bouncy threat. 8k tps for 10seconds then 2-3k tps for 20seconds.

links to my other tanks
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...us&n=Afarceius
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...us&n=Goremisha

2h dps it might get viable in next patch. i allready tryed a build with the new fire nova thingy on ptr but with only 1h wep since i dont have a 2h yet... and it worked great... a bit hard with mana but with a replenishment it wont be a problem. fire nova talented and glyphed its sick for enh dps in next patch so.... with a full haste gear we might get the same dps as dual or at least close to it.

I'll be setting 2H Enhancement as my offspec. I want to go back to the good old 2 handed windfury crits, and the dps won't be that horrible with the upcoming free tier 9.

In my guild, it's enough to come out standing with 5k dps, and that won't be a problem I think.

I play it for funs, not to absolutely maximize my dps. I'll do that with my main Ele spec.

The hard part will be getting a decent 2H agi weapon that shamans can use. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Necronium
    I'll be setting 2H Enhancement as my offspec. I want to go back to the good old 2 handed windfury crits, and the dps won't be that horrible with the upcoming free tier 9.

In my guild, it's enough to come out standing with 5k dps, and that won't be a problem I think.

I play it for funs, not to absolutely maximize my dps. I'll do that with my main Ele spec.

The hard part will be getting a decent 2H agi weapon that shamans can use. :P
    There is gonna be a two hand mace with agility so hopefully the druids i raid with wont want it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshocklate
    There is gonna be a two hand mace with agility so hopefully the druids i raid with wont want it :P
    But, shouldn't a High Agi staff work?

I mean, after raiding a while, It's easy to ask the guild if anyone wants the staff for the like... 5th time it drops.
    People won't mind in the end.
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

I was so excited to see this post as i am from vanilla. I however never made it to lvl 60 before BC released, i did however do a lot of research into being a viable tank for end content.

I thought you guys would enjoy some of the links i still have saved. These discuss vanilla tanking as shaman :
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...12021519&sid=1

This one is about Enh
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...11982593&sid=1

Just remembered this old 70 pvp video when I saw the thread.
    Its a marksman hunter/enhanc shammy with both PoV.
    Its pretty sick to watch the healthbars on the alliance when the shaman crits with 2h WF, if you remember TBC damage.

enjoy \/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPbeeJX8Gvk

Ive checked up Agi staffs as a 2H wepons for shammys and... well... they are a little fast.

Slowest one's are around 2.8
    Fastest around 2.0

Otherwise, perfect stats and such. I'd love to check up some actual numbers on this. With Speed procs and haste, they should hit devilishly fast, and crit quite okay.
    Gotta get my ass to 80 with my shaman.

its cool to see a topic like this

My first toon was a Shammy, I was healer for the most of the raids (MC,BWL,ZG,AQ20&40 and some of naxx40) but I used to fool around and try dual some instances with a fellow warlock from my guild, so I used to tank some of the 5 man content while healing, and he would do dps and sometimes when necessary have his pet tank. That was very tense and fun

I really miss the 2H shamies, I remember when I first got my TuF, the damage we could do with those 2 handers were really fun, the hit was slow and you sometimes were like praying for a WF proc, kiting your oponent with frost shocks and having searing totem on them... those were fun times imo

I used to run a 49 shaman twink with Kang the decapitator. I two shot a 70 hunter that was ganking me. Good times.

I tried to recreate the same thing, but it isn't possible anymore. Although it was pretty op for lowbie pvp, and pve for that matter, it still took a lot of time getting all the right gear/enchants/ect.. I worked for it, that shaman went ele and then back to enh, after they changed around the spec, I couldn't figure what to do with him. Now he's sitting back on my old server at 60 doing nothing. My question is this. Why do we have to wait until 40 to DW? I mean, I went and rolled another one and I could not decide what heirloom weps to get him so I just got him the reaper, and two mass of mcgowans. We shouldn't have to completely change our weapons style half way to 80. All the other classes can do so if they wish, but by choice. We're stuck with 2 handers and 1h/shield until 40 and it's pretty much bull. give us DW earlier or give us something that has some use for 2h play. Or give us back imp shield. IDC. Just something to spice up the first 40 levels. Not saying it's difficult leveling a shaman without these things, it's just bland.

*edit.
    Ok so I just looked at what I typed and noticed why they can't DW until 40 and /facepalmed. But I still stand by my yearning for 2h and/or shield talents. That's not such a huge request is it? IT doesn't have to be something people use in end game to be a useful talent.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Ive checked up Agi staffs as a 2H wepons for shammys and... well... they are a little fast.

Fastest around 2.0

Otherwise, perfect stats and such. I'd love to check up some actual numbers on this. With Speed procs and haste, they should hit devilishly fast, and crit quite okay.
    But the effect of twohanders is to maximize your windfury.

WindfuryDamage = (<Avg Weapon damage>+(AP+WF increased AP)/14*<Base Weapon Speed>)*110% *140%

Average weapon damage = Minimal damage+Maximal damage / 2
    Increased windfury AP = determined by spellrank/level
    14 ap = 1 damage per second (so a 3,0 weapon speed gains 3 damage per 14 ap)
    The last " 110% " is http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=29086 which every selfrepecting Enh shaman has
    The last " 140% " is http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=29080 which i assume every Enhancement Shaman has

So a 75 dps 2.8 speed weapon can easily knock a 100 dps 1.4 speed weapon off of it's throne.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Gday folksI just tanked 25 voa, offtanking kolaron and main tanking emalon. It was a friendly wednesday pug. I've tanked 25mans before but they were generally limited to naxx 25/OS. The video along with many others can be found at http://www.youtube.com/user/sharicasmi

Fastest around 2.0

If I remember correctly there is a 2H mace which you can get from the Quel'Delar quest chain which has Agility on it . I'm currently levelling a Shaman with the intent of getting to 80 and ripping it up with some two-handed madness
    This user has been banned.

Quote Originally Posted by AhpuchRawr
    If I remember correctly there is a 2H mace which you can get from the Quel'Delar quest chain which has Agility on it . I'm currently levelling a Shaman with the intent of getting to 80 and ripping it up with some two-handed madness
    This might violate the terms of this thread, but I wouldn't waste your QD turn in on that, at least not until you have given honest effort into both 2h and dw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

10+ Year Old Account

You could really tell that there aren't many people from the Vanilla days of this game when you view threads like this.

But as far as the history of shaman tanking in Vanilla, it's much like this:

-Horde had Shaman, Alliance had Paladins. The shaman design being that they are more caster like and offense oriented (yet end game itemization was all heal), and the paladin being melee and defense oriented.
    -Paladins were capable of tanking dungeons, though not as effective as warriors. Shaman were given the tools to do so in being able to wield shields and earth shock was high threat. And if I'm not mistaken there was chain mail gear with defense, dodge, and parry too. This was mainly to help balance the factions out in regards to available tanks. During my brief time as Horde (as most of my friends went alliance, so I switched) almost all my dungeon runs were tanked by shaman wearing leather and cloth and all were successful. Oddly enough, all my runs that featured warrior tanks failed hard.
    -Around the time when many guilds were running BWL, it was apparent that paladins were OP compared to shaman when it came to PVE situations, mainly due to Blessing of Salvation, among other things. Eventually shamans started getting more like paladins to balance the factions out. This leads to...
    The Burning Crusade
    -Both factions gained access to both classes. Shamans get everything stripped away from them that were paladin like abilities which included the ability to "tank properly", and were further driven in their own direction. Paladins became stronger defensively and were finally made a completely viable tank. Shaman lore took a shit kicking for the sake of the game, and here we are today.

Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something or got something wrong.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw
    This might violate the terms of this thread, but I wouldn't waste your QD turn in on that, at least not until you have given honest effort into both 2h and dw.
    http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50191/nighttime/
    http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50315/s...ingered-claws/

you can easily turn in QD for the 2H mace with these alternatives (if you want to, that is).