Thread: Mage PvE FAQ

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Not to sure why, but the talent links aren't working, i think they may have to be re-done. Excellent job on the guide btw.

15+ Year Old Account
    it's because the only calc you can easily link to has been changed to beta talents. curse you boub!!!! /shake fist
    BfA Beta Time

thanks swizzle for the quick response.

Deleted
    I don't want to bitch about the Best in Slot List, I've just got a question about it. (Fire)

With that List I am 33 hit rating over cap. (Horde)

Wouldn't it be better to swap the chest with the T10 and the neck with the one from the Gunship?
    The rating would be 5 under cap but that's not really tragic.

With that change I would loose 87 crit rating, but I would gain 130 haste rating.

Just want your thoughts about this.
    Last edited by mmoc8ffbcb390c; 2010-08-31 at 02:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the BiS list does include Robe of the Waking Nightmare, however, it's not the same as the one on the first page. The BiS list has 1 hit rating under cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    No, the BiS list does include Robe of the Waking Nightmare, however, it's not the same as the one on the first page. The BiS list has 1 hit rating under cap.
    So, that's not the current list?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahwiel View Post
    So, that's not the current list?
    Correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    BiS is different according to race and profession (assuming all available raid buffs). There's no point making a list--just learn to use Rawr.

Honestly, it's not hard to pick out what's going to be a good item. (Hint: crit/haste items are always a good choice)

well its about the details..like 30-50dps higher

Qoute by swizzle
    nce haste=1.2 spellpower for you.

What is meant by that? is that when AB takes 1.2 secs to cast or what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Unpala View Post
    Qoute by swizzle
    nce haste=1.2 spellpower for you.

What is meant by that? is that when AB takes 1.2 secs to cast or what is it?
    This means when your relative stat value of haste reaches 1.2 (relative to your spell power). I.e. if 1 spell power gives you a boost of 1 dps then this value is reached when 1 haste rating gives you 1.2 dps. Or in simple words when your damage increase per 1 point of haste rating is 1.2 times higher than per 1 point of spell power.

Edit: The post below correctly adjusts the last part of my post.
    Last edited by Anubisblack; 2010-09-05 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Anubisblack View Post
    The basic idea is that a Reckless Ametrine provides 20 haste rating and a Runed Cardinal Ruby provides 23 spell power. So if 1 haste >= 1.2 spell power then 20 x 1.2 = 24 > 23
    Close, except Reckless Ametrines are +12SP +10Haste; 10 * 1.2 + 12 = 24

Quick King's Ambers have a higher mana cost over time than Reckless Ametrines, which means you waste time recovering mana when you could be DPSing instead. Also, it lowers the value of haste relative to spellpower, so you would have to socket more Runed Cardinal Rubies to compensate to keep the ratio at 1:1.2.

Seriously... do not gem pure haste.
    Last edited by Cryssa; 2010-09-06 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Relative Stats

Hello dear mages .I returned this week on my old blood elf mage...i stoped raiding with him from early totc (a bit before anub arak was released) . I managed to get into some icc 10 pugs,doing the first 4th bosses and so on.I played arcane,but i got a huge problem at saurfang junior ... i got out of mana ,somewhere around 30% of his healt,and had to wait a lot of time until my mana gem/arcane torrent were ready,so i could go back to dps...i feeled ashamed ,that would never happend to me in ulduar

I changed to fire,just like on old times...no more mana problems (well,mages still are the only class that haves to watch mana during the fight...)more fun than arcane...but im lacking hit severly. I got some pieces of gear myself in this week,but it would be awesome if anyone could take a look at my character,and give me any piece of advice...

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ldt&cn=Medvith

I got almost 2200 spellpower,and i feel it's so damn low...crit is close to 40% selfbuffed,and haste 651
    .Could you tell me,what do i need more,considering my stats? Crit or Haste ?

Could you give me any ideeas,any suggestions (like:you should get x item,it will help you a while) from where to get some gear from.. Im curently planing for Maghia's Misguided Quill ,but still about 15 days until i get the emblems...

I would appreciate any good "with lot of hit" items that you can sugest me,and worth replacing ..im thinking about Shard of the Crystal Heart ,but not sure if it's good for a fire mage(20 sec haste/2 min cd for...fire?),with no cooldowns to prop...the effect may be much more of value as arcane,but the hit is mostly useless for any arcane mage

Also,please help me replace Ring of Fated ...it's such a old item,aand i get negative reaction because of it...i could easily replace it with Band of the Invoker but i think it's worst ...

Thanks for anyone that will help me take the dust of my old mage

So, leafing through pages on this thread, can't seem to find my answer.

Fire mage, trinkets. Is heroic DFO or regular Halion trink better? Obviously Phylactery is epic. But I'm trying to decide if I'm going to roll on Heroic DFO next time it drops or bide my time for regular Halion trinket.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Heroic DFO, for sure. Normal Halion trinket is only slightly better than Spyglass even. It's not that great at all.

Names is rofl, i have some questions for you pro's out there lol
    My main was a arcane mage but is now fire
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Theoutcaster
    For some god awful reason i don't think im doing enough damage, we run a demo lock with improved shadow bolt and a S-priesty, im usualy rocking 55-60% crit in raids myself.
    I also have other weps in my bag heroic. 10 man morrowgar sword, the OH from heroic Lady DW, Shadow silk spindal, all these are heroic Kelthuzads blade off LK is not but i DO have it.
    I have researched and looked up everything i can find. Is my crit not high enough or my haste? any thoughts on this please let me know i really do appreciate it! and if im missing something else let me know, ALSO my dps is around 13-14k in 25 man Heroic icc 11/12
    Last edited by rofl_totems; 2010-09-10 at 07:19 AM. Reason: misspelled

your haste n crit seem fine for your gear, maybe its your group's fault..if u have like only 5ppl above 10k then yeah they are holding you back by just making the fight longer
    if not, maybe its u keeping higher downtime than normal..unnecessary movement,slow re-targeting etc etc
    small tip: change skinning to something more useful like jc or engin, wont give u your lost dps back but its a boost never the less
    cheers :>

EDIT: u should also drop some hit, u alliance need like 340something?
    Last edited by kinky31; 2010-09-10 at 09:28 AM.

yeah XD i should change skinning lol had it since forever >.>. I don't move that much in boss fights, keeping it as little movement as i can. forgot also i use magenuggets it does let me know when im hit capped this is true sometimes lol.
    Last edited by rofl_totems; 2010-09-10 at 04:27 PM.

This is my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...her&cn=Melange

I usually know what to go for and use Rawr to back me up, but I'm a bit in a doubt now. You see my current necklace and HIT-ring, as well as my bracers which has a hit/sp-gem in it so that I'm hitcapped with boomkin/spriest in the raid. However, Rawr recommends me to replace the necklace with Amulet of Silent Eulogy and Ring of Rapid Ascent (the two items from gunship hc), and to replace the hit/sp-gem in the bracers with a crit/sp-gem.

However, this only gives me more haste and a bit less crit. As far as I've always known, you only need a decent base of haste (I put myself at minimum 1k haste) and as much SP/Crit as possible. With my current gear Rawr gives me 14248 dps, with replacing it's 14271. Is Rawr correct in this and will this truly up my dps a little or is my current gear correct and Rawr wrong?

15+ Year Old Account
    If it's telling you to replace BQCC with AoSE, then I wouldn't listen to it.
    BfA Beta Time