Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post

Too much tech-death. Must break with progressive, jazz-infused sludge.
    Really liked this. I need to venture back into some new music. I like being able to browse through and hear all these new bands, well, new to me at least.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Yeah, Blackgaze is definitely not a user-friendly genre. Even though it's easy to listen to in the sense that there isn't much in the way of dissonance and overall heavy atmosphere, the shoegaze elements and focus on repetition (especially with the post-rock influence on some songs) is an acquired taste rather than something people can get into after one song. I've found there's usually a litmus test -- if you find that you enjoy Agalloch, generally speaking you can enjoy Alcest.

As far as Tech Death goes, I just haven't heard anything that warrants all the technicality so far. It's weird because as far as playing goes, I'm one of those guys that plays almost nothing but classical guitar because of how much more difficult it is than any of the lightning fast, reverb'd out electric guitar leads out there. I just don't really like it in Death Metal. I rather enjoy it if it's done well in Metalcore, but not Death Metal.
    Agalloch bores me to tears, too. As for technicality, to me, pretty much any song warrants technicality...provided the musicians can pull it off in a song without turning the song into nothing but wankery. Not every song will be technical, but if the players have the capability to both be technical AND fit it into the song without ruining the song itself(which many do not, unfortunately, which is my problem with a lot of prog metal), I see no reason not to do so.

And despite years of trying, I can't get into anything Devin Townsend has done. It ranges from "okay" to "unlistenable" for me, nothing I've heard from him comes close to anything I actually enjoy.

And now, since this thread hasn't had any classic traditional power/speed metal in awhile, it's time for some.

Classic US power/speed metal from '88. Mark Reale is a pretty damn good guitarist as well, and devoted too, since he's kept this band going since the 70's. And Bobby Jarzombek's drumming is already plenty well known:

And now a song from their new album, featuring a reunion of the above song's lineup:

One more song of theirs, with a different lineup. It's not as speedy as the above 2, but it's one of my favorite "traditional metal" songs of all time. Love the leads, love the main riff, love the vocals, everything:

And last of all, Axel Rudi Pell covering them. One of my favorite metal cover songs, Axel tears it up here and Johnny Gioelli's vocals just fit the song so perfectly. If I wasn't a lazy bastard I'd make a prot warrior PvP vid using this song;-P

Oh sweet nectar of the ears, let me count the groups that make me eargasm
    Memphis May Fire
    A Plea For Purging
    Whitechapel
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Falling in Reverse
    Enter Shikari
    We Came As Romans
    Attack Attack
    Suicide Silence
    Heaven Shall Burn
    Pantera
    Metallica
    Sonic Syndicate
    System of a Down
    Asking Alexandria
    iwrestledabearonce
    Motionless in White
    A Skylit Drive

And the big one,
    THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

Deleted
    iwrestledabearonce

what the fuck

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye, their music does suit the name though. It's kinda hilarious in a way. Not something I'd listen to for any length of time though.

I wrestled a bear once? really? O_o

10+ Year Old Account
    That was actually better than I expected. Didn't really have great expectations after reading various reviews.

Amon Amarth, specifically Destroyer of the Universe is amazing.
    Viking Metal all the way!
    Would post a youtube link if this forum would actually let me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think it's needed. Amon Amarth's been posted a couple dozen times so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakvatten View Post
    Amon Amarth, specifically Destroyer of the Universe is amazing.
    Viking Metal all the way!
    Would post a youtube link if this forum would actually let me!
    We've had this debate ad nauseum all ready, but AA isn't Viking Metal, they're Melodeath with Viking themed lyrics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ran across this the other day while searching the youtube. Pretty good melo death, Enjoy.

More non deathy stuff. More power metal with...actual power, not the happy keyboard laden stuff so typically associated with the genre. Sure, it's not brutal stuff, but it still has punch.

Deleted

Haven't seen much Marduk posted here. Great album that one.

Oh, and finally got around buying Kreator's Endless Pain cd, so have to post this as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewhale View Post
    Oh, and finally got around buying Kreator's Endless Pain cd, so have to post this as well:

This reminds of brutal awesomeness, time to post some more

Also, just because it's epic and stuff

They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Marduk are fucking awesome. Definitely one of my fave bands. Nightwing is my fave Legion album. But to be honest, I think the most recent line-up is by far the strongest. Wormwood is an absolute stomper of an album.

Cormorant makes me happy in my pants. Dwellings is definitely one of my favorite metal releases of the year, and Junta is probably my favorite single song in 2011 Metal. Fuck, 2011 was an amazing year for music.

Speaking of progressive metal fusion genres, here's Cloudkicker. I've got mad respect for this guy not only for putting out his music, but also that it's all free to download, a hobby rather than a profession and the production is fantastic considering it's a "backyard project".

Blends energy and atmosphere perfectly.