Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    Actually The Human Abstract had 3 albums! Unless you're just saying 2 because the 2nd of the 3 wasn't that good?
    Those of us who like TA's music like to pretend their original frontman's project-called-a-TA-album doesn't count.

Because let's get real here, Midhheaven was fucking god fucking awfully atrocious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Those of us who like TA's music like to pretend their original frontman's project-called-a-TA-album doesn't count.

Because let's get real here, Midhheaven was fucking god fucking awfully atrocious.
    Exactly, Midheaven didn't have A. J. Minette, whose ideas and guitar playing was the main thing that made me like THA and instead was totally managed by that mediocre-at-best vocalist. The result was an awful and pretentious (even more so than the actual good albums, that are also quite pretentious but I can look away from that) album that despite having the THA tag I just like to pretend it does not exist.

Btw Badpaladin, unrelated but do you know Celeste?

10+ Year Old Account
    [Flotsam and Jetsam]

Had that album on a tape. Took me ages to find out who it was.

Haha yes! Midheaven is the one that I consider inferior as well, good to see we're all on the same page about that

As for the guy speaking about Arch Enemy, I gotta completely disagree. The vocalist before Angela made Arch Enemy sound like some kind of joke band to me. I can't take their old work seriously with those vocals.

I think their best work has been "Rise Of The Tyrant" by far and easily.

+George Fisher was better pre CC comment? Cmon, no way...
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-07-25 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    George Fisher was so much better here than in CC

<snip>

And to the poster who said he had been getting into Arch Enemy. Imo the Gossow era Arch Enemy is "just another" mediocre at best Melodeath band, if even that, but their 2 first albums are musically much better, and has better vocals

<snip>

Also, underrated classic

<snip>
    I agree on all points. Then again, I've never been a CC fan, aside from The Bleeding, which was a pretty decent album, but as far as Arch Enemy goes I really only got into the first two albums. Everything after that was kinda meh, and Angela isn't really up to my standards of female metal vocalists.

Deleted
    I personally love Angela's vocals. Feel free to recommend other bands that have female vocalist who does growling/screaming stuff. I would gladly check them out

I'm still on my Iced Earth spree!! I figured I'd boot up my Pandora account and give em' a listen. Usually when you do an Artist search it will play Songs/Artists similar to the search. Generally when I listen to other bands I'll hit a string of 10+ songs from similar Artists before it returns to the originating group. Even with Pandora's extensive library, only every 3rd song is an Iced Earth song. I firmly believe that it's a testament to the unique sound that Iced Earth has that creates the miniscule gap.

The other "few" bands that Pandora also plays are, Blind Guardian, Primal Fear, Symphony-X. (With a few misc. bands here and there.)

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
    I personally love Angela's vocals. Feel free to recommend other bands that have female vocalist who does growling/screaming stuff. I would gladly check them out
    Here's a few:

Runhild gammelsæter

Featuring Katherine Katz:

Marloes from Dutch thrashers Izegrim (probably the closest to Arch Enemy stylistically of these)

Dr. Mikannibal from Sigh (I'm having a hard time figuring out which bits she sings, it's more apparent on Hangman's Hym, but I prefer this album)

And probably the single most extreme female vocalist evah: Diamanda Galas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    snip
    Thank you very much. I will be checking them out!

Edit: That song by Sigh was DELICIOUS. Its like a combination of power metal and prog with some weird BM vocals BUT I like it! The last one was just beyond me.
    Last edited by mmoc614b31b9c1; 2012-07-26 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
    Well.... I don't really like this band but.....

Cerebral Bore has a female vocalist

It's about twice as heavy as Arch Enemy, and the woman is about half as hot as Angela

Unlike Angela Gossow, I really can't tell what this other woman is saying for the most part...

Musically I think they are pretty enjoyable, but this woman sounds the same throughout the whole song basically, she needs more range. Kind of diminishes the song imo.

Also apparently Iwrestledabearonce has a female who screams

Don't really like them either, but worth mentioning I guess
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-07-26 at 09:48 AM.

Deleted
    Hey guys, it's been some time.

Completely blown away by this band!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, another female vocalist that does grunts/growls:

Really wacky OSDM

Last edited by Kreyzor; 2012-07-26 at 03:41 PM.

Deleted

Anyone run into any good new (2012) sludge btw?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this count? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Does this count? :P
    Holy fuck, mind = blown. Where do you go to discover bands like these?

Some 2012 sludge

Btw I'm interested if anyone knows Hail Spirit Noir here, they play some really weird black/avant garde with 60's/70's influences. Their first release was this year.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2012-07-26 at 06:16 PM.

Deleted

I see people haven't changed alot.

Dragged Into Sunlight sounds really nice.

Deleted

I guess that needs to be posted as well.

Btw metal-archives forums are pretty decent for finding lots of good suggestions just because of the sheer amount of people spamming stuff there. Although I still constantly get the feeling I'm missing out on a lot of good music just because there's always too much to listen to.. Already listening to about 8 hours+ of music every day.
    Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2012-07-26 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Holy fuck, mind = blown. Where do you go to discover bands like these?
    Reading a couple metal zines, one of which has been pretty shoddy for ages and the other is rapidly getting worse. Reading an online zine a friend of mine writes for. Being fairly actively involved in general, seeing how I used to have a zine of my own and thus knowing a decent number of people. And quite a few times other people discover stuff for me - Dragged Into Sunlight played Roadburn, for example.

Oh, more loudness:

Last edited by Duilliath; 2012-07-26 at 06:55 PM.