Thread: [Music] Metal

Black Metal Sucks - Lich King
    The lyrics....ahahahahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSmoHZMS_os

Way ahead of their time.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxy View Post
    What's the point of having categories if you're just going to let people apply them to whatever they want? May as well just not have any at all if there's not going to be any precision or discretion used in their application.
    Because the classifications themselves are arbitrary, largely only differentiated by insignificant things like lyrical content and vocal styling.

This is compounded by the fact that there are always a legion of sniveling assholes who obsess over every minor detail, and are just waiting to pounce on somebody who classifies some band in the wrong sub-subgenre of metal (i.e. "That's not death metal, you idiot! That's post-progressive melodic black metal!"), and the subsequent arguments that arise from the like.

Now if we're just talking about good ol' fashioned metal elitism, then I'm with you on that.
    This is mostly what it boils down to. The various sub-genres compartmentalize the metal genre so much, it creates an environment where every single situation where metal music is being discussed eventually devolves into a 2-3 guys bickering back and forth about what is/isn't metal, or ragging on people who might be new to the genre and simply don't know any better.

Most people don't just up and love metal (especially the more extreme variations) without some progression. It's an acquired taste, and when a community immediately shuns everybody who is still on training wheels, it gets a little tiresome to see.

Granted its the internet, and everybody's either a pretentious jackass or ignorant dick, so perhaps my efforts are better spent on just about anything else... but I hate going to a topic on a message board about metal hoping to get some exposure to some good-but-obscure stuff, but instead being inundated with some self-proclaimed "metal elitist" telling everybody they are wrong all the time.

/rant off

Joey Jordison
    It's funny, until recently I never saw the guy's name come up. Now he's all over the place. I guess being voted the "best metal drummer" in the last 25 years by people who are clearly retarded might have something to do with it.

What do you like?
    I'm all over the place, I'll listen to anything heavy. Here's a short list (Note: I'm aware not all of these are considered "metal", so save it)

As I Lay Dying
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Meshuggah
    Brain Drill
    Nile
    Pig Destroyer
    Mastodon
    Job for a Cowboy
    See You Next Tuesday
    Despised Icon
    Whitechapel (mostly for the lulz)
    Botch
    Between the Buried And Me
    All That Remains
    Shadows Fall
    Poison the Well
    Isis
    Gojira
    Agoraphobic Nosebleed
    Cephalic Carnage
    Genghis Tron

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Foetus - Benighted

Probably the best place to start if you don't know them. I'm assuming you already know Behemoth and Belphegor as they're relatively well known.

That's about all I got for you right this second. I'll come up with a better list later, but I don't listen to death metal much anymore and don't listen to any purely core stuff whatsoever.
    The way you put the song title first made me think J G Thirwell was gonna have to sue somebody. You put the band name first when linking songs like that.

Like so:

Skeletonwitch - Sacrifice for the Slaughtergod

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg View Post
    You're lucky there are mods on the prowl for me, because if this was any other forum, I'd probably rip you apart piece by piece for calling those bands "metal". They're not even worthy of being called metalcore either.

Metalcore is stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utT0lLC6d5Q
    Those bands you linked are pop rock bands attempting to be hardcore and metal.
    I'm not saying A7X is super metal now, but back in the day when I first started listening to them...Check the 1:50 mark. Can't even hang with Waking the Fallen.

Also, Machine Head is tight work. Trivium is beast mode (if you haven't heard their song Shogun you suck). Amon Amarth (Twilight of the Thunder God is one of the greatest songs ever).

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

The Morningside are pretty awesome

amon amarth best band ever
    in mourning good bad
    inflames, arch enemy, lamb of god, as i lay dying, ash&elm, before the dawn, children of bodom, dark tranquility. hte list can go up to 200 bands + but cba to type them
    Last edited by drittkjepp; 2010-10-20 at 09:43 AM.

Haters gonna hate..

Atleast give them a min before you judge
    Last edited by kliffharry; 2010-10-20 at 11:55 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trivium blows. They try so hard to be metal but fall short. I've given them a chance to fix themselves with every new album but they just can't seem to get it together. The only thing they seem to have fixed was Heafy's voice (or the complete lack thereof on their first few albums) and they had to get him a vocal coach to pull that off.

In addition to not liking them, though, I used to run the chimairaworld.com website, which was the official forums of that band. And we had too many Trivium debates to be healthy... one of which even included Paulo coming to our forum to defend himself like a hurt little child. While you're youtubing them, search for Trivium sucks and look at the bands who say they hate touring with the pretentious pricks. Yeah, my hatred for Trivium runs pretty deep. They're #1 on my won't-willingly-see-them-live list, followed very closely by Norma Jean, Dillinger Suck-ass-live Plan and Dragonfarce.

I'm going to completely ignore the insults thrown about by the hypocrites (not naming names) and get to the point?

some of my favs are Arch Enemy, Otep, Soil work and In Flames.

PS. yes I realize I failed at ignoring.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krynis View Post
    Arch Enemy
    Angela Gossow is pure win. 'nuff said.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LQDMTL View Post
    Angela Gossow is pure win. 'nuff said.
    Oh god yes.....thats all I can say....

My ONLY complaint about Arch Enemy that it causes my scoliosis to flare up. \m/

angela gossow is terrible, arch enemy were better with johan liiva!

Barren Earth - The Ritual Of Dawn, if you're into amorphis/agalloch/swallow the sun you'll probably dig.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2h5eBZBMwg
    Last edited by hoonboof; 2010-10-20 at 01:25 PM.

They're #1 on my won't-willingly-see-them-live list, followed very closely by Norma Jean, Dillinger Suck-ass-live Plan and Dragonfarce.
    Really? Granted, I've only seen them once... but it was a pretty intense show.

angela gossow is terrible, arch enemy were better with johan liiva!
    Quoted for the fucking truth, no offense my opinion bla bla etc.etc.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flargen View Post
    Really? Granted, I've only seen them once... but it was a pretty intense show.
    I saw Norma Jean at SOTU quite a few years ago. They were horrible. At SOTU, the other bands often line the edge of the stage and watch each other play. When Norma Jean went on, they all left shaking their heads. Some of the fans went apeshit, yes. But those were the punks who showed up already wearing Norma Jean gear and talking about how great the band was. They were easily the worst act at the show. The rest of the lineup? DevilDriver, Lamb of God, Chimaira, Gwar, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, Throwdown, Madball... to name a few. Their vocals were unintelligable white noise screaming (swear to god he was mouthing the mic and screaming 'rah rah rah' and that's it). The bassist was so intent on jumping around that he could only muster beating the shit out of his strings and making random noises, and the guitarists seem to struggle to play anything similar to one another. The only competent one of the bunch was, from all I could gather, the drummer.

---------- Post added 2010-10-20 at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Quoted for the fucking truth, no offense my opinion bla bla etc.etc.
    No offense taken... however, her style of singing is rather hard to master. It usually destroys the throat, and vocal chords, if done improperly. And it's even harder to do with any power as a female. She has it down pat and makes most men who attempt that singing style look like little punks with no talent. You may not like the style but she, herself, is rather friggin bad ass at it. And she completely shows up their original singer (who was mediocre at best).

It usually destroys the throat, and vocal chords, if done improperly. And it's even harder to do with any power as a female. She has it down pat and makes most men who attempt that singing style look like little punks with no talent. You may not like the style but she, herself, is rather friggin bad ass at it. And she completely shows up their original singer (who was mediocre at best).
    Sure it takes skill to do, and destroys the throat etc. But you cant seriously mean that she is better than your average male growler? And my point wasn't that she is bad, it was that Stigmata and Burning Bridges is vastly superior to everything else Arch Enemy has done.
    Holyfury armory

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how many of these singers I've seen live, seen live video of and heard live recordings of, yes. She is absolutely better than most of them. Many singers who aren't even growlers (Mark from Chimaira, for example... who's site I used to run) quite appreciate her talents.

Note: Many singers can pull things off on an album that they can never do live. She's not one of them (with the exception of the vox effects used on some songs, which she doesn't use, or need, when live).

I saw Norma Jean at SOTU quite a few years ago. They were horrible.
    Huh. That's too bad. I saw them on their own tour that came through town probably 5 years ago or so, and while far from the best show I've ever seen, it was still good. I had pretty much the opposite experience you did... they all seemed to be right on point, except the vocals were hard to decipher (as you mentioned... but not THAT bad), but that could be the nature of their music. The stuff on Bless the Martyr and O God, the Aftermath is pretty muddy in the vocal area anyway.

Maybe you saw them on an off day, or I saw them when they were in a groove or something. Who knows.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very similar to seeing Dillinger Escape Plan up in Detroit for the first Gigantour. As soon as they kicked into their first song the stadium vacated as everyone left to go get beer & food. Several people around me were comparing their horrible live sound to that of Norma Jean's. I think you saw them on a night when the stars aligned "just so".

Some of the bands I've seen live (not all of them, and these mostly at festivals or big shows where you don't always choose who you see) just so you can see some of my point of reference:

3 Inches of Blood, All That Remains, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Black Label Society, Black Sabbath (yes, with ozzie), Children of Bodom, Chimaira, Clutch, Corrosion of Conformity, Danzig, DevilDriver, Dillinger Escape Plan, Dragonforce, Dream Theatre, Drowning Pool, Eye Hate God, Fear Factory, Five Finger Death Punch, Goatwhore, Gwar, Hatebreed, In This Moment, Kataklysm, Killswitch Engage, Korn, Lacuna Coil, Lamb of God, Madball, Megadeth, Metallica (90's), Nevermore, Norma Jean, Opeth, Pantera, Poison the Well, Prong, Rob Zombie, Sepultura (original line-up), Sevendust, Shadows Fall, Silent Civilian, Strapping Young Lad, The Red Chord, Throwdown, Unearth, White Zombie, Winds of Plague

Some are borderline metal. Some are rather heavy. Some kicked major ass. Some blew ass. Some you'll never, ever have a chance to see again. Some you'd never WANT to see again.