Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I posted Demilich ages ago at least. Looking forward to seeing them at NDF. Don't really recall seeing the others posted.

need some new tunes, anyone have any good stoner/doom/psychodelic stuff they would suggest? I already listen to Sleep, Electric wizard, Primordial, and Elder.
    Last edited by Sky High; 2015-08-13 at 04:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    need some new tunes, anyone have any good stoner/doom/psychodelic stuff they would suggest? I already listen to Sleep, Electric wizard, Primordial, and Elder.

Ufomammut

Acrimony

Cathedral

YOB

Spirit Caravan

Om

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats

Also, take a look at these charts:

http://i.imgur.com/6HlM37S.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/13xVzLN.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, this flew completely under the radar for me last year.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-08-13 at 06:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardisbad View Post
    Anyone like some Nevermore? One of my favs.
    I'm a big fan though I must say their newer albums are a tad boring. The old stuff is excellent, and so is Sanctuary.

I also really dig old school Fates Warning, the John Arch era and especially Awaken the Guardian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if already linked but check this awesome song from Septicflesh

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    <snip>
    Give this band a listen.
    I only got to listen to one song off of that album last night, but from what I heard (and remember) you might like it
    sweet thanks.

Deleted
    I had a long break from the genre, but I´m slowly returning back to metal..
    I rarely listen to whole albums, I just pick and choose whatever I like and create a playlist.

No idea what to call this sub-genre, but its great imo!

[EDIT]: I get bored easily, maybe thats why I love when music change alot mid-song :P

10+ Year Old Account
    This album is gonna be fucking insane! Super stoked for tomorrow!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Soilwork found a way to make cheesy melodeath work really well lately. Those choruses mang...

I feel this needs attention by y'all. Extremely high quality post/atmosludge/blackgaze.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-08-13 at 05:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    edit: I gave that Archivist record a listen the last time you posted it since it had already been on my HDD for a while back then, but honestly, it seemed pretty unremarkable to me.
    Bummer, I think it's a strong top 10 contender so far. The songwriting really sent me packing, very emotionally potent.

10+ Year Old Account
    HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT ON A MOTHERFUCKING STICK! The new Bullet For My Valentine album is fucking sick!!
    Album of the decade! Absolutely flawless.
    Last edited by Feali; 2015-08-13 at 11:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take yer word for it.

--

Got to see these guys tonight. Been 20 years in the making or so... *smirk*

I'm still searching for my perfect metal band. I've yet to find it, though to be fair I haven't been looking all that closely for the past few years as my interest in music has waned a bit until recently.

Tool is my favorite band and they've been my favorite since Undertow came out in 1994. I generally love all the projects Maynard works on. I'm not even sure Tool could be classified as Metal at all, maybe progressive metal but even that feels like a bit of a stretch because they don't have terribly technical guitar work and that seems to be a common theme in prog metal.

I really dislike a lot of the Cannibal Corpse style grunting and screaming I hear with so many metal bands. I can take it in small doses, I don't mind the occassional screaming in tone that's used to emphasize lyrics or sequences in the song but it seems all the new metal bands I listen to have the obsession with the whole grunting and screaming that I don't like. I don't mind Phil Anselmo's style with Pantera for example.

I really do like a band like Slipknot, not everything they put out but I think Corey Taylor voice gives them a very unique edge that isn't common among metal singers. I also like the Deftones, their style has changed quite a bit over the years, and in my opinion for the better. The perfect band is one that has vocals like Maynard and the technical proficiency and creativity of a Marty Friedman or John Petrucci guitar work. Not too focused on the overly technical though! A nice balance between technical prowess and the creativity of an Adam Jones. I've yet to find that band, if anyone knows who it is, let me know!

10+ Year Old Account
    Try Nevermore, possibly. There was a video linked a litle bit ago.

Thing is that 'vocals like Maynard' is pigeon holing my thinking too much atm and he's only really done work with Tool n Puscifier, the latter of which won't particularly scratch that Friedman itch.

Here's something that might also work for you. Unfortunately, it's one album only with Chuck's untimely demise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodletters View Post
    I'm still searching for my perfect metal band. I've yet to find it, though to be fair I haven't been looking all that closely for the past few years as my interest in music has waned a bit until recently.

Tool is my favorite band and they've been my favorite since Undertow came out in 1994. I generally love all the projects Maynard works on. I'm not even sure Tool could be classified as Metal at all, maybe progressive metal but even that feels like a bit of a stretch because they don't have terribly technical guitar work and that seems to be a common theme in prog metal.

I really dislike a lot of the Cannibal Corpse style grunting and screaming I hear with so many metal bands. I can take it in small doses, I don't mind the occassional screaming in tone that's used to emphasize lyrics or sequences in the song but it seems all the new metal bands I listen to have the obsession with the whole grunting and screaming that I don't like. I don't mind Phil Anselmo's style with Pantera for example.

I really do like a band like Slipknot, not everything they put out but I think Corey Taylor voice gives them a very unique edge that isn't common among metal singers. I also like the Deftones, their style has changed quite a bit over the years, and in my opinion for the better. The perfect band is one that has vocals like Maynard and the technical proficiency and creativity of a Marty Friedman or John Petrucci guitar work. Not too focused on the overly technical though! A nice balance between technical prowess and the creativity of an Adam Jones. I've yet to find that band, if anyone knows who it is, let me know!
    Easy, there is only one immaculate and perfect metal record:

Not something for mere mortals to understand though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Easy, there is only one immaculate and perfect metal record:
    I disagree it's the only perfect album. Si Monvmentvm... most assuredly ranks up there as well. (Among a few rare others.)

10+ Year Old Account
    *A* favourite album? No. Though if I had to pick just one, it'd be Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice.

Some others that come to mind:

Amebix - Sonic Mass
    Obtained Enslavement - Soulblight
    Gorguts - Coloured Sands
    Behemoth - Thelema.6
    Dodheimsgard - 666 International
    Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
    Krallice - S/T (debut album, iirc)
    Lux Occulta - The Mother and the Enemy
    Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane
    Mastodon - Leviathan
    Morbus Chron - Sweven
    Mgla - With Hearts Towards None
    Primordial - Spirit The Earth Aflame
    Marduk - Wormwood
    Today is the Day - Sadness Will Prevail

Ask me again tomorrow and that list will likely be different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, was looking at my list and was positively surprised so many of them are (fairly) recent releases.

Speaking of which - here's a Ned Flander's inspired metal band with their demo "Okilly Dokilly". The world's only Nedal band:

That said, I think the idea is better than the actual music, but oh well.

Another new Trivium song out!

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    Nothing comes to mind, atleast not off the top of my head, but reading your post it sounds like metal isn't actually what you're looking for.
    What would give you that impression? It'd be more of a progressive metal but it'd still be metal. I really like heavy riffs, syncopated rhythms, polyrhythms, I liked yelling, screaming that is generally in tune and controlled but also melodies and even harmonies at times. I think all of those things can exist and to some extent have in metal, just generally not all at once.

Duilliath: Control Denied seems pretty good, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for.