Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Account hacking issue

Hey my wow account keeps getting hacked repeatedly by a gold seller. They arent taking any of my gear or gold on my main but they just keep getting my account suspended for 3 hours. I found it wierd that they onlny hack me on certain days, namely sunday. I have scanned my cpu over and over, i updated my antivirus to the 2010 version and scanned again and it didnt find anything, but my account gets infiltrated again. Im using trend micro and its suppposed to find keyloggers even though it cant seem to find this one. Im starting to think its not a virus and its attached to my email. Does anyone know what could have happened or what could be wrong please, im starting to get extremely frustrated.

Re: Account hacking issue

Invest $7 in a Blizzard authenticator before you get perma banned or before the hacker steals your gear/gold.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

yea my mom thinks i should at least resolve the current issue on my computer before i use a alternative solution. Also it takes a week to ship.

a couple of things I'd suggest. Lots of anti-virus are good, but I'd run things like anti-malware and spybot. They seem to be able to check for other things that anti-virus software seems to miss.

I'd also make a new email address that is a WoW only from a free gmail or whatever site. If you do this step and your account is still infiltrated, you'll know they are on your computer.

I'd change your password too using a word processor program too. Type in tons of words, hell make a story about it, then copy/paste your new password from somewhere on that page. Then every time you want to start WoW, copy/paste your password into it. That way you never type it.

Chances are, whoever is looking at your account, is trying to find out if it's worth it for them to hack into your system. And at this point it isn't worth their time.

Outside of that, get an authenticator, it's like $7 US money, so it's pretty damn cheap and should also protect your system.

outside of all of that, if problems persist, id consider doing a full wipe on your hard drive and starting over. This will ensure that any keylogger is off your system. It'll take some time to reload stuff and download stuff, but typically 99% of everything your computer is recoverable via the internet. Typically the only stuff you need to keep are document types, word files, spreadsheets, old tax returns, etc... and those can fit on a USB storage device.

The other benefit of a clean install is that you'll be amazed at how fast your computer actually runs agains.

Deleted

Follow my guide completely. Also: Do not run more then 1 antivirus/firewall at a time, this will conflict and decrease your security. A virusscanner generally doesn't even detect modern keyloggers, you need other programs for that. So follow my guide completely and post a Combofix log here. (How to post a combofix log? ) <-- AFTER following the guide.

I'd change your password too using a word processor program too. Type in tons of words, hell make a story about it, then copy/paste your new password from somewhere on that page. Then every time you want to start WoW, copy/paste your password into it. That way you never type it.
    This doesn't work. WoW sends the password un-encrypted over the network. So the keylogger can simply pick up what's sent and they know the password. It doesn't even have to litterly log the keys anymore.

I think i got it, i downloaded malwarebyte and it found something called hijaker.startup, which sure sounds like a keylogger, so i think im good for now. But i the near future i think im gonna get a authenticator for future protection.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Barrano247
    I think i got it, i downloaded malwarebyte and it found something called hijaker.startup, which sure sounds like a keylogger, so i think im good for now. But i the near future i think im gonna get a authenticator for future protection.
    Follow the complete guide. Finding one little thing certeinly doesn't mean everything is gone.

Yea i got hacked again : / i think im gonna follow the whole guide now thxs

15+ Year Old Account

Full format your HDD and USB Sticks etc, clear your e-mails, then reinstall windows, and wow ofc, then you should be save

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by H3ll
    Full format your HDD and USB Sticks etc, clear your e-mails, then reinstall windows, and wow ofc, then you should be save
    At this point, a full format and reinstall isn't a bad idea. And if you've had that many issues with being hacked, I'd highly suggest an authenticator. Though I do suggest authenticators to everyone. Extra security is never a bad thing.

Also, remember that keyloggers don't magically appear on your system. I usually suggest FireFox with the AdBlock Pro and NoScript plugins. Also, a good anti-virus (Avira is free and pretty good, though the ads can be annoying) and anti-malware solution (MalwareBytes). With that setup, if used properly, you can browse to your heart's content and hardly fear a keylogger.

yea my mom thinks i should at least resolve the current issue on my computer before i use a alternative solution. Also it takes a week to ship.
    Takes a week to ship? Try again. My friend and I ordered a pair of authenticators from blizz early December and didn't get them till late January.

Quote Originally Posted by Baaadum
    Takes a week to ship? Try again. My friend and I ordered a pair of authenticators from blizz early December and didn't get them till late January.

Damn where do you live? I ordered mine in Jan and got it within a week.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    At this point, a full format and reinstall isn't a bad idea. And if you've had that many issues with being hacked, I'd highly suggest an authenticator. Though I do suggest authenticators to everyone. Extra security is never a bad thing.

Also, remember that keyloggers don't magically appear on your system. I usually suggest FireFox with the AdBlock Pro and NoScript plugins. Also, a good anti-virus (Avira is free and pretty good, though the ads can be annoying) and anti-malware solution (MalwareBytes). With that setup, if used properly, you can browse to your heart's content and hardly fear a keylogger.
    How about Trend Micro and malwarebyte combo, do u think that would be as effective? I use firefox btw and before someone says that its my fault for surfing dumb, i have no idea how i got this i dont surf the internet that much and usually when i do its on fimiliar sites, and i dont open suspicious email, the only way i think this could have happened is if i got a popup from a inappropriate site.

Quote Originally Posted by Baaadum
    Well that would be because of the holidat season, happens with anything you order around that time.

Dont start a side argument about how long it takes authenticators to ship please
    Ive followed ur whole guide and everything that i installed didnt find any problems, but i still am getting hacked. Im worried its connected to my email or it knows all about my CPU, so i changed my email and ALL of the passwords on my CPU. So is there any suggestion as to what is happening?

Dont start a side argument about how long it takes authenticators to ship please
    Ive followed ur whole guide and everything that i installed didnt find any problems, but i still am getting hacked. Im worried its connected to my email or it knows all about my CPU, so i changed my email and ALL of the passwords on my CPU. So is there any suggestion as to what is happening?
    antiviruses/removal tools are not 100% sometimes you just need to blow the whole thing out and reinstall the OS.

Deleted

If you followed the guide completely, then where are the logfiles I asked you to post? :O

Also, in meanwhile, change your passwords from your mail/wow/change wow account email to some other mail/every password that WoW/mail is associated with FROM A SAFE/CLEAN PC <--- Very important.

Ok, i admit i hadnt gotten to the hijackthis phase, but i am at that part now and im really stuck. My first problem is i cant run the program as an administrator. In the program it says to right click the file and it will say run as administrator in vista, but when i do that for some reason the run as administrator button doesnt show up. My second problem is i cant make a log because it always says "theres no file named ...hijackthis/startuplist.log, would you like to create a new one?" which basically it will not let me make a log. Ive reinstalled the program already.

Deleted

What button do you click after opening Hijackthis?

To check if you are an administrator, open the Control Panel. Click "User Accounts and Family Safety", then "User Accounts".

Look to the right of your user icon. If it says "Administrator" below your username, you have administrator privileges on your account and you won't need to "Run as administrator".