Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Are WoW Cataclysm Graphics Good?

I made a video compiling the current environments of WoW so I could compare them with the old games. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9qBtWYKog
    http://www.youtube.com/wowcrendor

Sometimes I'm funny, but not really

Is that full ultra settings? That water looks nice.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

It looks like it is almost of max settings.
    But WoW dose look really quite stunning in places with Max on all with DX11 running.
    The only problem is that WoW is a mix of new high res textures and old low res textures

I was waiting for a Sarcasm-induced video.
    I am disappoint.

But those are great environment, and i very very much like the highest rated comment on that video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

New instances look "alright", especially ones like ZG. But overall the graphics are poor compared to newer games like rift.

I checked the video again and the comment about "You shouldnt compare realistic games graphics with fantasy style graphics" that had like, 60 likes just vanished o.O
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

I'm sort of a graphics junkie and I still think that WoW looks good for the type of game it is, an MMO.

Edit: I wouldn't compare the graphics yo other MMOs, it's a completely different style. Rift's graphics aren't amazing, and I played that with the setting turned up all the way. I wasn't wowed like I have been with other games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some of the images had nothing to do with Cataclysm Been like that.. forever!

Still, the game looks nice. Even though it's old as hell now :P

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolWow916 View Post
    New instances look "alright", especially ones like ZG. But overall the graphics are poor compared to newer games like rift.
    granted, however it can be argued that WoW still looks better than most despite its weaker graphics.

come to think of it, what part of this is worse?
    that WoW the most popular MMO has a extremely poor graphics or that despite their higher graphics engines newer MMOs can and do look worse then their older counterparts?

10+ Year Old Account
    That vid just makes me sad that all those amazing landscapes are for the most part unused these days. I'm an old school gamer and graphics aren't the most important thing to me, but I actually think WoW has good graphics. They are a bit cartoony, but I much prefer that for a game dealing with fantastical subject matter. I tried Rift trial and I really do prefer WoW's older graphics.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    granted, however it can be argued that WoW still looks better than most despite its weaker graphics.

come to think of it, what part of this is worse?
    that WoW the most popular MMO has a extremely poor graphics or that despite their higher graphics engines newer MMOs can and do look worse then their older counterparts?
    That's because wow graphics are "acceptable" enough to still be a popular game. I actually think graphics are by far the least of blizzards problems right now. I rather them 100% focus on revamping their entire pve system (get rid of JP and VP entirely) and come out with new heroics only 5 mans and heroic only raids.

Most of the environments look awesome, but it's the actual character models that don't look very good. And I'm not just talking about player models, I'm talking mobs, animals, etc. as well.

The environments please the eyes, yes... it's a lot of the models that remain from the early days that need improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow's graphics are wows graphics. They aren't amazing, they aren't terrible. They are unique and perfect for the game.
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

WoW's graphics only work if you don't look too closely. They deliberately went with a stylised, cartoony design that masks the low polygon and textures because if it looks cute people are more forgiving. If you start to analyse them, or even play after you've been playing a game with crisper graphics you notice the ugly pointiness of the models and the smudgey low res textures.

Rifts graphics crap all over WoW's, you can't possibly say otherwise, unless you think Loony Tunes has better special effects than the Matrix?
    PvP is for those of lower intellect. Only someone with a low IQ would look at class imbalances, gear issues, racials, RNG, level advantages and number advantages and then claim that it was their skill was the main deciding factor in a battle. That's if they win. If they lose, the above will all of a sudden become relevant to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkle View Post
    WoW's graphics only work if you don't look too closely. They deliberately went with a stylised, cartoony design that masks the low polygon and textures because if it looks cute people are more forgiving. If you start to analyse them, or even play after you've been playing a game with crisper graphics you notice the ugly pointiness of the models and the smudgey low res textures.

Rifts graphics crap all over WoW's, you can't possibly say otherwise, unless you think Loony Tunes has better special effects than the Matrix?
    You can't compare loony tunes' special effects with the matrix's. Try again :P
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by -Aendos View Post
    Is that full ultra settings? That water looks nice.
    Indeed it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/wowcrendor

Sometimes I'm funny, but not really

Hey Crendor, keep up the good work, especially the Billy episodes . OT: The graphic have changed depending on the zone we're in, example in Un'goro theres no new textures and such stuff so the graphics didn't change there, but let's say Silverpine, a total overhaul .

That's because wow graphics are "acceptable" enough to still be a popular game. I actually think graphics are by far the least of blizzards problems right now. I rather them 100% focus on revamping their entire pve system (get rid of JP and VP entirely) and come out with new heroics only 5 mans and heroic only raids.
    your first sentance i can almost agree with in that WoW graphics are acceptable, mostly due to the strong artistic style present though out the game.

your second... i have to disagree.
    the point of the points is to artificially expand the loot pools of bosses to prevent the "that drop" situation with gear the boss drops, hell there are still people complaining of not seeing drops even after farming bosses for almost 5 months.
    this comes even further into play with raids such as sunwell and firelands, where a smaller line up of bosses in which they have to fit around 50-70+ items over them.
    thus the need of an additional "points" system, in sunwell this was done with sunmotes... i forgot that the firelands ones were called.
    but you see the point of the points right? other wise we end up with either bosses with 10+ item pools or more lootreavers, bosses made mere to hold loot.

ugh

can't believe you're still spamming that everywhere, please ... give it a rest.

OnT: I love the cartoonish theme that WoW has, i presonlly prefer that over the gloomy theme most mmo's go for

i would say the graphics are good, Great at some aspects and quite shitty on other's.