Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: AVR, Blue posts, MMO Report

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrllsbear
    You can bet your life that most of the players who are saying it's an awesome mod would be bashing their faces on the keyboard in anger if Blizzard had released it. "How dare you make this game easier!!!"
    Sad, but true.

I do question this mod.... the big thing for me has always been whether an addon would give you access to information you wouldn't otherwise have, or allowed you to do things you could not do without the addon. Most addons I use change the accessibility of the information or the way you input commands.... this does seem to be a bit more. Knowing that the boss is using an attack is one thing (you can get that with cast bars or the in-game warning), but having a graphical representation of exactly where that attack is going to end is quite another.

My other big concern is that everyone in the raid needs to be using the addon for it to work properly as a raid warning style system. Some raid groups like to require DBM, but DBM doesn't give you that much more than the default does, and it's pretty low memory usage anyways. AVR is neither of these things.... how long before self-important pug leaders begin requiring people to have this addon to join the group?

Your tears, they are delicious. I have been using AVR since alpha and I love it! For my guild, it has become an essential addon for positioning on boss-encounters. A huge timesaver instead of having spend hours (trust me, when my GM explains something, it delays the raid by an hour) to explain "skull here, diamond here, etc".

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zyndrome
    Your tears, they are delicious. I have been using AVR since alpha and I love it! For my guild, it has become an essential addon for positioning on boss-encounters. A huge timesaver instead of having spend hours (trust me, when my GM explains something, it delays the raid by an hour) to explain "skull here, diamond here, etc".
    Get a better guild probably...

Another good use for this AddOn is to mark the places to stand with the ice blocks on Sindragosa hardmode.

dude, we don't need this lame ass addon. Real raiders play with combat text disabled and Alt+z. :P

Only dirty casual and scrubs use addons like these cuz they can't get pass marrowgar, lawl.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by lurchi

and in b4 "I am pro and play with standard UI"
    I am pro and play using no screen at all.

Deleted

Wild Growth cooldown change in Cataclysm
    This kind of thing comes up a lot, where players see us messing with cooldowns and assume it's a nerf instead of our trying to give them room to actually cast more spells.

Raising the cooldown on spells like Wild Growth and Circle of Healing are good things for healers. It's one of the few* things that will buy you GCDs to actually cast other spells. With a 6 sec cooldown, you really only get to cast maybe 3-5 other spells before you need to hit that magic button again.

Let me put it another way... if there was no cooldown on Wild Growth would you ever hit another button? The frequency with which druids use it today suggests the answer is: not often.
    I like

Pretty interesting concept. I can see how the addon could be useful especially when you bring in a new trial raider or someone that may not necessarily know how the guild does a certain fight and where the group will stand for abilities.

10+ Year Old Account

a wide spread of cc created in lk?

right.......oh yeh hunters got the ranged freezing trap right

Quote Originally Posted by Robbykig
    I am pro and play using no screen at all.
    I am pro and play with no mouse and keyboard. I use my telepathic powers to control my character.

The force is very strong with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

blizz should ban this addon asap people should learn to move for them self not have some addon telling them where to go

10+ Year Old Account

AVR-E for teh lulz.
    AVR is good tho.

Cool addon.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the mod. Blizz just needs to stop making boss encounters so predictable.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin
    Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the mod. Blizz just needs to stop making boss encounters so predictable.
    yes, bring back faction champs

AVREnc is training wheels. People who know how the fight goes don't need them. People who don't know have 2 options - training wheels or old school. Anybody who learned how to ride a bike with no training wheels remembers the skinned shins and knees, the bruises and bumps. But eventually you don't need training wheels, so you can go without.

Besides, if this can get just one of the idiots in my raid to not stand in fire, it's a good thing. The main problem is they're not an idiot every time. I need the equivalent of those dog training shock collars.

Depending on the addon is a bad thing. Using it to get a feel for distances and such, and how far things travel, is a good thing, especially if a tool like this lets you wipe fewer times while getting an encounter on farm. Eventually, you won't need it.

It also amazes me how many people hate this addon. It's not like the failbots are in your raid, is it? Because if they are, you'd WANT them to have this, so that you could beat the encounter. If they're not in your raid, why the hell do you care?

That addon takes away the fun
    even now with DXE or DBM u must be a complete retard to fail on things besides defile cause defile is a short notice ... so on defile to fail u just have slow reflexes... and DXE , DBM doesen't take away the fun cause it just shows cooldowns and on who the abilities are
    Anw.... showing exactly where to stand makes things just too easy....
    If u wanna have a naxx experience again then gogo get it ....

Cheers
    Zoulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

This is a great addon, which may finally allow my guild to reach LK. If Blizzard does decide to disable it, just as well. It's nice, but it /is/ sort of cheating.

And we now turn to Lucifra to hear his opinion on the addon

Thank you john, what a nice addon it is indeed! I've just been testing it out and I have to tell you, it only has three major flaws:

1: Memory usage, 6 mb addon memory is not quite little
    2: It moves up and down as you move up and down, but as most fights are on a pretty level terain that won't bother you as long as you keep your profiles properly maintained to not see every fight in the raid all the time.
    3: Biggest flaw, it cannot account for your camera being forcefully moved closer by objects, therefore if you have max camera distance (which you should! with the macro! get it!) you might see your drawings become smaller than intended because your camera distance got forcefully pushed down.

The author knows all of this, and it's not fixable, so the addon isn't going to get any sweeter than it is now.

As for the question "Is this cheating?", Personally I think that at least AVR is nót cheating, it's simply a better and more efficient and insighfull way of doing things we could already do by jumping around with a mark above our head, telling people where to stand. And ofcourse the blizzard implemented method of smoke flares does pretty much the same but it's not as good.

AVREnc however is a slighly different story, I still do not concider this cheating personally, it's no different than any radius monitor already built in to most boss timer addons. We'll see what blizzard has to say however.

All in all, I like this idea, I've thought of a simmilar idea about three years ago but I don't know how to make addons, especially not as good as this one. I think that, if this stays, it will become as "mandatory" as bosstimers and decursive are now, and here's the sunny part of that: blizzard knows that we all use those addons, and since we do they can make fights a lot harder. For example, if wow didn't have interface addons then dispelling would be a lot less needed on most fights, the same can be said about all the other things you can do with those addons, and in the future maybe even for AVR (imagine for example grobbulus casting his infection twice as much, just because blizzard knows we all use AVR).

The addon is brilliant, I've done some testing with the placement of drawings, and they don't move a single inch if you place them right and don't encounter flaw 2 or 3.

Back to you, john.
    I just got what Falric is talking about in HoR.
    Men, women and children... None were spared the master's wrath.
    Despair... so delicious...
    Fear... so exhilarating...
    Clearly, he was referring to the cataclysm class previews.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifra
    1: Memory usage, 6 mb addon memory is not quite little
    How much memory do you have then, if you consider 6mb alot?