Deleted

What OS for WoW?

Hello guys,
    simple question for you computer buffs.

What OS would you suggest for running WoW on with Intel Core2 Duo Processor E7200 (2.53 GHz). I have some issues running 25man raids - have very low fps and that's strange since everything else in WoW runs on 60 fps.
    btw I'm using XP atm (or should I say since 2001 ) and my graphics card is GeForce GTS 250 (Gainward) if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

Re: What OS for WoW?

First check through the stickies on these forums regarding low FPS, most important bit is making sure there isn't any unnecessary crap running on the background and display drivers are updated.

Changing windows version will not make the game run faster except in very rare cases (you have latest possible hardware and running xp). Most likely the problem is slow/old CPU. It makes huge difference especially in 25-man raiding.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account

I'd suggest either XP SP3 or Win7. I've heard that Vista has taken big strides with service packs, but frankly, there's no reason to get Vista now that 7's out.

As for your framerate loss in 25-man raids, that's most likely due to your CPU. When someone's system runs fine in Dalaran, 5-mans, and even 10-mans, but then drops in 25-man, it's usually because the CPU just can't keep up with everything being thrown at it (positioning for 25 PCs and the NPCs, spells being cast, damage being done, timers, counters, etc).

My system is similar to yours (just replace GTS250 with a 8800GTS - 20% less performance~).
    The best FPS I get with Linux (Ubuntu) and then Windows 7/XP. I couldn't notice a big difference between 7 and XP.
    Under MacOS I had less FPS, because I could only get one core working.

Go Win7. Youll find it better than XP.

10+ Year Old Account

just replace GTS250 with a 8800GTS - 20% less performance
    Did you perhaps get this order backwards and meant to say "replace 8800GTS with GTS250" or do you just not know what you're talking about?
    post some numbers if you got 'em please.

And, OP, he's either trolling you or completely ignorant about video cards.
    The other guys are correct, however. (except for the guy who said you have the latest possible hardware for XP) o.0
    god, I wonder sometimes...

Anywho, your OS has very little, if anything to do with your performance based on the way you described it. A 64bit OS could increase your performance, but not as much as replacing your CPU would, and paying attention to what else is running on your system while trying to do 25 mans.

Find out what your motherboard can handle and look into upgrading your CPU, that's what's causing your slowdowns in 25s.

In the mean-time turn down your spell details and do your research elsewhere it sounds like.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Erik765
    Did you perhaps get this order backwards and meant to say "replace 8800GTS with GTS250" or do you just not know what you're talking about?
    post some numbers if you got 'em please.
    Read the whole sentence:

My system is similar to yours (just replace GTS250 with a 8800GTS - 20% less performance~).
    He's saying that his system is similar, but he has an 8800GTS instead of the GTS250, so he sees 20% less performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik765
    The other guys are correct, however. (except for the guy who said you have the latest possible hardware for XP) o.0
    god, I wonder sometimes...
    I heard reading comprehension is good for you. Added emphasis for this exercise.

Changing windows version will not make the game run faster except in very rare cases (you have latest possible hardware and running xp)
    To avoid any more misunderstandings, here's a rewrite.

In a rare case user has new hardware and for some weird reason still using Windows XP, upgrading to Vista or Win7 will usually give FPS boost. If you have old hardware, WinXP will be always best option. OP asked if upgrading OS would help, and that's pretty straight answer.

The best FPS I get with Linux (Ubuntu) and then Windows 7/XP.
    I'm very sceptical about this one. FPS increase here comes probably from using OpenGL instead of DirectX which is the default renderer for Windows, and it comes at the cost of losing some graphics tricks here and there. You can also force WoW to use OpenGL renderer in Windows, but ATI drivers for it are pretty bad. NVidia cards should see pretty much the same speed increase if there is any.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    I'm very sceptical about this one. FPS increase here comes probably from using OpenGL instead of DirectX which is the default renderer for Windows, and it comes at the cost of losing some graphics tricks here and there. You can also force WoW to use OpenGL renderer in Windows, but ATI drivers for it are pretty bad. NVidia cards should see pretty much the same speed increase if there is any.
    Back in TBC days, I had about a 40% decrease in framerate under linux (Xubuntu) compared to Windows XP, and that was with an nVidia card, using OpenGL, and having a lot of the bells and whistles disabled (fullscreen glow, death effect, etc).

Deleted

TY lads for help

Well I thought that maybe Win7 64 would increase my performance a little, heard it better handles core2 duo processor than XP... I will upgrade my PC for cata for sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who Cares? I like Eduard Khil though.. TROLOLO FOR PRESIDENT!

Mac>PC.
    Mac is the future of computer gaming.
    Infractions this, infractions that.
    There's my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiola
    TY lads for help

Well I thought that maybe Win7 64 would increase my performance a little, heard it better handles core2 duo processor than XP... I will upgrade my PC for cata for sure.
    It might give you 1-2 fps more, but it will not boost your fps from 5 to 50. Expected speedup is in 5-10% range at best. Also if you have 2 gigs of RAM now, going from xp to win7 will slow you down due to lack of memory.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn
    Mac>PC.
    Flame bait in my opinion.

1. Absolutely no PC vs Mac vs Linux flamefests. Civil discussions regarding the differences of the two are welcome, but there won't be much leeway given.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

Mac>PC.
    If you want to pay 30% premium for the apple logo and be without 99.99% of the games published this year and in past 2 decades, be my guest.

Mac is good for some things like professional/semipro multimedia production, but it's not a future of computer gaming and never will be. I'd bet on Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft taking the cake with their consoles.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account

Mac>PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    If you want to pay 30% premium for the apple logo and be without 99.99% of the games published this year and in past 2 decades, be my guest.

Mac is good for some things like professional/semipro multimedia production, but it's not a future of computer gaming and never will be. I'd bet on Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft taking the cake with their consoles.
    Let's not get started with the Mac vs PC flame war. Nobody will like how it ends.