After being hacked

I was hacked , so my thoughts went to get rid of the spyware that was sending back any new password i could create .

I use Avast newest version , it detected nothing so i tried a Norton /kaspersky 2010 spyware remover , both in aggressive mode and result :Pc clean.

To start with not sure how they got me ,it was either using this website , curse.com where i Dled Healbot /vuhdo or some replays i Dled in the Starcraft beta or respective forum.

Looking for some advice.

I have heard that there were a few issues with Curse.com and the Curse Client and that a few people were hacked as a result. I was hacked at the beginning of April (I use Curse.com and the client) but may have been caused by logging in on my friend's infected computer. Authenticator FTW!

Wildhorn - 85 Feral Druid

15+ Year Old Account
    There was a flash vulnerability that was front page news a few days ago. You may have been hit by a rogue flash advertisement.

I have used the Curse Client for a long time now, and I have never had any problems as a result of it, though I have heard others claim they were hacked via bad addons from Curse.

I should add that I have also used the Curse Client for a very long time and never had troubles with it. As Cilraaz said, it was most likely the result of a rogue flash advertisement.

I personally have not been hacked but I know a friend or two who have.
    Some things to help after you secure a new password would be:

1: Get an Authenticator (There are multiple phones supported or buy the keychain one if you have to)
    2: Don't use the same email address/password combo as you do for anything else.
    3: Check your email account (Friend had his email hacked too and it was forwarding a copy of everything to the hacker)

Deleted
    u can also use your virtual keybord to insert a new pass it cant be keylogged
    then always insert it in game with it take some more time to log but work
    Last edited by mmoc770ecfcd9d; 2010-06-11 at 06:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Benihime View Post

1: Get an Authenticator (There are multiple phones supported or buy the keychain one if you have to)
    3: Check your email account (Friend had his email hacked too and it was forwarding a copy of everything to the hacker)
    Or maybe some forum where you use the same login/pass got hacked and you got out of luck :S...

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably farming Leather to fund my mount habit
    I was also recently hacked, I got complacent. I thought that because I had a decent AV and anti-spyware and that I didn't go on dodgy sites I would be ok and that I didn't need an authenticator.

So yeah, like others have said, get an authenticator. They aren't expensive, they're easy to use and though technically they can be hacked, it takes a whole lot of effort. And you get a vanity pet with it.

Quote Originally Posted by N30 View Post
    u can also use your virtual keybord to insert a new pass it cant be keylogged
    Unfortunately most keyloggers these days can and will keylog virtual keyboards or even macros. Your statement might have been true some time ago but not anymore.

Anti viruses can't find all spywares unfortunately. I for one would suggest getting an authenticator. No one likes entering another number when logging in but this is the only thing that can almost [b]guarantee[b] your account's safety. (For those who are gonna say "I never had an authenticator and I never got hacked" I have to say that I am driving without a seatbelt for 6 years now and I was through 3 crashes, I am still alive though. So see you on the other side if I die next time.)
    80 Orc Hunter
    80 Tauren druid
    80 Tauren Warrior
    80 Orc Warlock
    80 Blood elf Death knight
    To Be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by Benihime View Post

#1 is not needed but will give peace of mind and helps for people who like to answer emails from WoWEUgimmieyoPW.net

#2 is by far the best advice you will see better than an authenticator.

#3 If you followed #2 then you will only receive emails from blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    #1 is not needed but will give peace of mind and helps for people who like to answer emails from WoWEUgimmieyoPW.net
    #1 is for anyone who isn't retarded when it comes to internet security. Ironically, it seems the people who refuse to use one claim that they don't need one because they're not retarded. Amusing.

Stood in the Fire andy_mitchelluk's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Spybot

Give it a whirl if your normal anti-virus can't detect any loggers.

10+ Year Old Account
    If only there was some small, Cheap Device that prevented people from getting hacked by putting an unknowable code to protect the account with

Quote Originally Posted by beno113 View Post
    If only there was some small, Cheap Device that prevented people from getting hacked by putting an unknowable code to protect the account with
    And if only this "Cheap Device" was somehow just $6.50 at some online Blizzard Store.
    Last edited by Saboom2010; 2010-06-11 at 11:54 PM.

1. just a spyware scan isnt enough, if you got your account info stolen (dont call it hacked, thats something entirely different) then just format your PC
    its a bit more trouble, but anything to avoid the same problem right?

and get a damned authenticator....

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post

#2 is by far the best advice you will see better than an authenticator.

#3 If you followed #2 then you will only receive emails from blizzard.

#1 It is as he, and thousands of others, would have never been hacked had they used an Authenticator

#2 Is still good advice but use an Authenticator with it and your chance of being hacked is close to 0.

#3 Yes a few accounts with Authenticators were "hacked" but it is more complex then a key-logger and was easy to catch, fix and correct. Since then there hasn't been any word of ppl still being hacked this way.

My room mate recently got hacked and he used to use an Authenticator but he got annoyed by having to enter in an extra 6 digits while logging in. When he told me he got hacked I waved my Authenticator in his face and laughed. If you refuse to get an authenticator and get hacked it's 100% your fault. You pay $15 a month so don't tell me paying $6 for shipping is unreasonable and if you have one of the many phones that support it for free and you still don't have it then you deserve some kid in Korea taking all your things.

Condoms are only 99% effective, just like an Authenticator, but you're a fool not to use one simply because it's not 100% effective. If that's your excuse you will find no simpathy here.