Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cata - Earthquake

I switched mains mid-WotLK to a warlock from an elemental shaman because I loved being a caster, but got sick of having to run into melee to do AoE damage, amongst other things. When I heard about Earthquake coming out in Cata, I got excited, I thought FINALLY a ranged AoE spell for ele shaman. I realize this is only in beta, that's why I'm speaking up, in hopes someone at Bliz see's this or a post like it. I'm looking for opinions here, is it a good thing that Earthquake is a 1.5 sec cast, lasting 10 sec, with a 15 sec cooldown (if it lasts 10 sec, really just a 5 sec cd right?), so we can be throwing (hopefully) magma/searing totems and casting other spells while Earthquake is still doing damage, or would it be better if it were a channeled AoE spell like Rain of Fire/Blizzard?

I think it will be fine the way it is shown, but i hope it scales with spell power
    -You must grab life firmly by the balls, softly but firmly
    -let them know you are there
    -but dont scare them, because if you do you're screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Super Santiago View Post
    I think it will be fine the way it is shown, but i hope it scales with spell power
    That's another issue, "dealing 36 PHYSICAL damage" per sec... If it's physical damage and does not scale with spell power...fail

Considering its in the Elemental tree, and clearly not designed to be for enhancement (a 41 point talent) it will scale with spellpower.

This is a pretty sick Idea, i might actually buy a duel spec for Elemental if this comes out. But lets be honist a 15 second cooldown would be a little OP maybe more like 20-25 would be straight
    How can you look down on me? When i've buried you under my feet.

Lol Blizzard don't moderate these forums, post on www.worldofwarcraft.com or www.wow-europe.com. This is a fansite forum, not the official forums. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Bolvar: Dammit! Kel'Thuzad, its happened again! I need you to go to get me more ice!
    Kel'Thuzad: But my master, the corner store is all the way in Kalimdor!

first off this spell is horribly designed as its physical dmg from a spell caster and even if it does scale with SP which it definatly will it is mitigated by armor as well as having a 15 second CD with a 10 second duration for a casting class seems like it will be pretty sloppy play for aoe along with your totems that you will still need to drop in melee if you want to use fire nova

why it does need to do physical damage?

see typhoon, hurricane, rain, blizzard...etc

There is no problem what so ever. Do you really think the number isn't a placeholder? Come on now ... health bars are going through the roof ... people expect health pools around 100k and you have a spell with 36 dmg ... and you think its gonna stay like that (with higher ranks)...

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Earthquake was channeled in Alpha for a bit, I was surprised to see this talent with a cast time. Though, they may be ahead a few builds in Alpha so it might change.

Oh yeah now that I read that it I also get the impression you pick a target location, do the 1,5sec cast to start the quake and then you can start doing other stuff like add chain lightnings (and magma totem if you feel like getting close) while it ticks away. I guess that's the intention that they don't want us to get just another blizzard type spell but with different graphics and a different way of slowing.

I really do like how this does not look like it's going to be a pretty unique aoe spell. Also that it does physical damage makes perfect sense since what it does is make the earth shake to hurt things and smacking things with earth or rocks seem pretty physical to me (if I remember correctly the earth elemental does physical damage too). And since arp is going away as a stat you'll see on gear and spell penetration hasn't had much of a place outside pvp for ages the possible issue with armor versus resistance seem like something one won't have to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's wrong with the damage being physical? I'd pay just to see rogues dodge the ground :3

Deleted
    So I am wondering it this will be a chanelled effect just like mages blizzard for example, or that we just have to place it and it will rumble for the whole duration.

Deleted
    As it is now, it will be casted for 1.5 seconds (obviously affected by haste) and then deal damage over the 10 seconds (most likely affected by haste, giving it a 9-10 seconds duration -- 9 seconds being the 0.01% haste before the next tick will come and make it 10 seconds), deal damage and periodically stun. It will NOT be channeled, not as it looks right now anyways, since then it'd say Channeled in the spell description.

86% of base mana?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_shed View Post
    86% of base mana?
    Yes base mana. i.e. the mana your character has without any gear or talents and without the class base int value.

Level 80 Base Mana for Shaman is valued at 4396. So at 80 Earthquake would cost a whopping 3781 mana.
    Last edited by Buzzinjoe; 2010-06-13 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilialilov View Post
    There is no problem what so ever. Do you really think the number isn't a placeholder? Come on now ... health bars are going through the roof ... people expect health pools around 100k and you have a spell with 36 dmg ... and you think its gonna stay like that (with higher ranks)...
    There aren't going to be higher ranks. It will scale with level however, and you can expect that the tooltip shows the dmg at a much lower level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

i just noticed the 84% base mana cost HOLY CRAP!!!! thats like 6k now a days

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_shed View Post
    86% of base mana?
    im hoping theres talents that lower this, because if they make a glyph like im sure there gonna be lame and make imma be pissed.

Glyph would probably be a lower CD