Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bear druid, tanking in pvp gear

Hello. My bear is on his way to 80, level 70 atm. And i wonder how bad it would be to try tanking stuff in wrathful/relentless offpieces while having a set of tier 9. How much will i be able to tank in this gear? Is it worth getting as much wrathful as possible, or should i get relentless (spending less honor)?

Reason i ask is because i want to get ready to tank asap, but since im on stormscale EU, i won't be let into pugs for anything with less than 5.2k gearscore, so i thought it might be worth to try to inflate my gs with some pvp gear.
    Will it be worth the invested honor, or should i just farm all the gear i can from badges, and go kitty (its easier to get into groups as dps) and gear up, and just regem/enchant for tanking when i have the gear?

If I am making a group for any raid and Inspect a tank with pvp gear => kkthxbai

Quote Originally Posted by Milkcow View Post
    If I am making a group for any raid and Inspect a tank with pvp gear => kkthxbai
    Fun thing is that if you are joining a mid level (icc 10, 4 bosses or less) on stormscale, gs and hp is all that matters, they dont care if you are in full resto gear while tanking, as long as you have the high gs and hp, it is possible to get into pugs.
    The reason i asked was because i wonder if i will get insta gibbed by bosses in that kind of gear

PVP gear is generally a good addition in some slots.
    The thing you'll miss most is threat-stats, but with all the MD's available these days you wont even need them that much.
    Some pieces are even BiS like the t2 staff

10+ Year Old Account
    i've no idea if it extends to druids as well, but at least from warrior/paladin point of view relentless/wrathful offpieces are viable through the shear stamina and resilience, provided the rest of the gear combined puts you at decent avoidance values.

Make sure you grind all you can from the heroics, but for those slots where you cant seem to get anything feel free to pick up pvp gear to replace your leveling blues/greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaasrasp View Post
    PVP gear is generally a good addition in some slots.
    The thing you'll miss most is threat-stats, but with all the MD's available these days you wont even need them that much.
    Some pieces are even BiS like the t2 staff
    By threat stats i guess you mean mainly expertise, and i just tried to rawr it, and in that kind of gear with marrowstrike i reached 40k hp, 31k armor, 38% dodge, while being 22 expertise under the cap with full expertise/stam gems.

Aye, seems like it is an okay choice until you get upgrades.
    But is it worth getting wrathful over relentless? Mostly wondering since wrathful costs 2-3x more honor.

I use some pvp gear in some slots to tank, it doesn't effect my aggro... and I tank perfectly with little damage taken...

but you wouldn't want to try this doing raids

heroics sure

10+ Year Old Account
    you're assuming people tanking with pvp gear don't know better or can't get better.
    all of which is wrong to some degree.

reply directed at milkcow

Quote Originally Posted by Batranu the 2nd View Post
    you're assuming people tanking with pvp gear don't know better or can't get better.
    all of which is wrong to some degree.

reply directed at milkcow
    If you are looking on topic it is exactly true... He can't get better pve gear so he uses pvp gear to get his GS and hp up.
    I was just saying if it was ME who was raiding the lead I wouldn't invite him.
    But as he sais, the only thing they look at on his server is GS and HP, So the answer is:
    yes you are fine with pvp gear, and no you shouldn't take wrathfull over relentless, since it is indeed 3 times as expensive so it would take a lot longer to gear up. If you allready got 40k unbuffed hp you are fine to tank icc10 and even icc25 man...
    you will be sitting around 55-56K hp raidbuffed and with the icc buff... So if you can hold aggro you are fine
    Maybe give a armory link if you want some more info!

Armory will be useless since my droid is still lvl 70, was mostly wondering if it might be worth to take those last 10 levels through bgs to get a head start at tanking with relentless/wrathful gear, instead of going through the insane grind to 5.2k gs, without raiding, for a sixth time :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dethric View Post
    Armory will be useless since my droid is still lvl 70, was mostly wondering if it might be worth to take those last 10 levels through bgs to get a head start at tanking with relentless/wrathful gear, instead of going through the insane grind to 5.2k gs, without raiding, for a sixth time :P
    It's worth it for a few pieces, assuming you can get some hit and expertise somewhere else. The ilvl 232 feral items are very similar in stats to tier 9 - less hit and expertise, bit more stamina, but usually very similar amounts of agility and armour. If you can get those quickly and easily, by all means do it. It's brewfest in a few months, too, so you should be able to get those two stamina trinkets from groups going to the BRD boss, assuming he's not been changed this year.

It's also worth looking at the ilvl226 boots and belt, as they should be relatively cheap these days, and they're decent bits of gear to start out with.

The item that made the biggest difference for me, though, was getting a new weapon. A decent staff, polearm or 2h mace will make you a better threat-machine.

well on that notice, you can farm heroics like crazy...
    If you are a tank, you got no queue time, if you do heroics for a day or 2, you can buy full 232 tier 9 gear, some off sets, some 226 gear if you convert some emblems. You gotta start farming frost emblems (voa, daily, weekly) and get the stamina trinket asap, huge hp boost! Farming BG isn't the best idea while you are leveling imo... if you want you can get the crafted pvp set for level 77! Gives a nice amount of stamina also.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are looking on topic it is exactly true... He can't get better pve gear so he uses pvp gear to get his GS and hp up.
    I was just saying if it was ME who was raiding the lead I wouldn't invite him.
    But as he sais, the only thing they look at on his server is GS and HP, So the answer is:
    yes you are fine with pvp gear, and no you shouldn't take wrathfull over relentless, since it is indeed 3 times as expensive so it would take a lot longer to gear up. If you allready got 40k unbuffed hp you are fine to tank icc10 and even icc25 man...
    you will be sitting around 55-56K hp raidbuffed and with the icc buff... So if you can hold aggro you are fine
    maybe i wasn't clear enough. there's a big difference between not having the gear because you're time restricted (i.e. just reached lvl cap, you just started tanking or whatever) as opposed to not having pve gear because you are generally avoided as a tank.
    i'm assuming that waiting 2 or 3 weeks to gear up properly is not the response he's looking for therefor pvp gear "on the fly" is the best choice for now.

I didn't say anything about farming for 2-3 weeks. I said 1 or 2 days... so he can get some 232 and 245 pve gear!

As long as you can meet your hit / exp requirements a few pvp pieces are very nice. Lots of AGI/STA and crit! I'm currently wearing PVP Ring/Belt/Neck/Cloak and sitting at 390+ hit / 42 expertise and I have no trouble gaining / holding aggro in any fights.

Yes I know I'm WAY over hit but I bought some of the hit pvp pieces so as to wear while kitty / pvp'ing so I needed them too.

Rings, cloaks and necks aren't very good for tanking since they offer zero avoidance. The bracers, boots and belt are all viable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezee View Post
    Rings, cloaks and necks aren't very good for tanking since they offer zero avoidance. The bracers, boots and belt are all viable though.
    If you'd read the OP you see that the choices are some green/blue ilvl200 (or lower) or similar item or and purple ilvl 264.

It isn't whether ilvl264 PVE tanking gear is better than PVP gear. But thanks for adding nothing to the discussion.

To the OP, go with the PVP pieces, but make sure you keep your hit/exp numbers where they need to be.

If you get a battered hilt, lw boots, lw legs, and boe bp from Lootship, you'll be fine for hit/exp. Those are all easily obtainable (if you have some gold). Otherwise you'll need to pick your gear carefully, I would suggest using RAWR to help.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethric View Post
    Hello. My bear is on his way to 80, level 70 atm. And i wonder how bad it would be to try tanking stuff in wrathful/relentless offpieces while having a set of tier 9. How much will i be able to tank in this gear? Is it worth getting as much wrathful as possible, or should i get relentless (spending less honor)?

Reason i ask is because i want to get ready to tank asap, but since im on stormscale EU, i won't be let into pugs for anything with less than 5.2k gearscore, so i thought it might be worth to try to inflate my gs with some pvp gear.
    Will it be worth the invested honor, or should i just farm all the gear i can from badges, and go kitty (its easier to get into groups as dps) and gear up, and just regem/enchant for tanking when i have the gear?
    So you're specifically gearing PvP gear just to make your GS higher so you can get invited to pugs ?

If that's actually true I would want to server transfer.

Regardless I still think you should gear the RIGHT way, not the "i need a higher GS to get in pugs" way. Like others have mention some PvP pieces are good to get you going until you get better gear. Namely bracers, boots & gloves. I'd spend the rest of my time grinding heroics (which wont contain people from your GS obsessed server) to get you your full tier 9 + any tanking pieces from triumph gear. Being a tank you will get instant queue's so this could be done very quickly.

Dont waste your time going for relentless/wrathful tier pieces....If one drops from VoA sweet use it until you replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    So you're specifically gearing PvP gear just to make your GS higher so you can get invited to pugs ?

If that's actually true I would want to server transfer.

Regardless I still think you should gear the RIGHT way, not the "i need a higher GS to get in pugs" way. Like others have mention some PvP pieces are good to get you going until you get better gear. Namely bracers, boots & gloves. I'd spend the rest of my time grinding heroics (which wont contain people from your GS obsessed server) to get you your full tier 9 + any tanking pieces from triumph gear. Being a tank you will get instant queue's so this could be done very quickly.

Dont waste your time going for relentless/wrathful tier pieces....If one drops from VoA sweet use it until you replace it.
    Server transfer has gone through my mind, but i have 6 level 80s and everyone i know play on Stormscale :P
    Anyways, the pieces was mostly to get me started and through the first bosses of icc10/toc25 so i can join up with some guild and play for real.

Seems like pvp gear is an ok choice until i get better, so ill try it out.