Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Inspect Throttle, Blue posts

Today's news is a little shot because I eventually had to give up and post early after the 15th mail about the addon change. It will probably be updated later, depending on how much time I spend on all the games I bought on Steam today working on exciting content for the site.

Blizzard to start throttling inspect requests
    An interesting announcement was posted on Wowace.com. It looks like Blizzard will start throttling inspect requests from players, most likely to counter the giant amount of load caused by ... well, you know, Gearscore.

I've received word that after the next set of rolling restarts, which may be happening as early as tonight, inspection requests on other players will start to be throttled.

This is being done because some addons generate a large number of inspection requests, so beware as some addons may start to behave unexpectedly, flat out break, or otherwise act up. Overall I hope it not to be too bad, but you never know, so here's the heads up.

Addon authors may need to restructure their addon so that they may _never_ receive a response back from a request. We may be seeing several second long intervals between allowed requests, and as I said, some request will likely never be answered.

If I hear any more details I'll update the post.
    (WoWace)

And Blizzard's word about it!
    Originally Posted by Nethaera (Blue Tracker)
    It’s important to understand that the throttling that is being done isn’t intended to break any functionality of add-ons, but merely to control the amount of queries that are being sent to the server at any given time. (Thus throttling the queries.) The queries will still occur, it just won’t happen as quickly as they currently seem to. You can read the statements that WoW Ace and WoW Interface have up for a bit more information on these changes. We wanted to give mod authors a heads-up prior to making the change so that they could make any adjustments they needed to on their mods.

http://wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33432
    http://www.wowace.com/announcements/...pect-requests/

Blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Epic items in Cataclysm
    We're actually working on restoring the epic feeling to epic items in Cataclysm. Epic loot should be epic, and something to be very proud of. Our plan is to try and get the Heroic -> Blue Gear and Raid -> Purple Gear balance back. (Source)

Icecrown Citadel Heroic attempts
    I apologize for the confusion. The number of attempts allotted for end bosses is still 50. (Source)

Remote Mail Service?
    The idea to access and send in-game mails through a web and/or mobile based service is something that is being considered. We are always researching new potential additions to our web/mobile services btw :-)

[...] No need to jump to conclusions. As Vaneras said, we're always looking for ways to expand the interactivity of our web and mobile services, and this is one that is already in our minds as a feature that could easily be used under the existing Remote service or similar. (Source)

Classic and TBC Dungeon Maps
    We hope to add dungeon maps to those outside of Northrend. "When?" you ask? Well, sometime in the future. I cannot elaborate further on that at the moment. [...] On the priority list of 'things to do' I can confidently say it's not up there with the high fliers, but it's on the list. (Source)

sounds good!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Said it

Deleted
    Time it was, young padawans.

boub what the hell, my first thread I start is about this and you post about it in the exact same minute as I do... :_( I'm so sad

The death of GearScore? Oh manz, how am i going to know who to raid with?

This gear inspect throttle won't effect people using the Armor Tally, the superior alternative to GearScore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. DOWN WITH GS!!

Deleted
    Could this be the end of the road for GS? I sure hope so, but I doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they keep their word on the whole epic gear thing...throughout the entire expansion.

I hope GS breaks and can never work again!

Hell, it's about time...

We're actually working on restoring the epic feeling to epic items in Cataclysm. Epic loot should be epic, and something to be very proud of. Our plan is to try and get the Heroic -> Blue Gear and Raid -> Purple Gear balance back.
    Yes please.

This won't break GearScore, just makes it give the number slower.

Fail. 9_9

You People don't seem to get it.

Gearscore is just another way of player inspecting/discriminating

If Gearscore is broken (which I doubt), we will be going back to "PST DPS + link Achiev"

I promise, in less than 1 Week, this Board will be full of whiners, QQing about achievement-linking coming back

YES! GearScore needs to die. In a fire.

I wouldn't put to much stock on that blue post about item epicness.

We're actually working on restoring the epic feeling to epic items in Cataclysm. Epic loot should be epic, and something to be very proud of. Our plan is to try and get the Heroic -> Blue Gear and Raid -> Purple Gear balance back.
    And there come the emblems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post

If Gearscore is broken (which I doubt), we will be going back to "PST DPS + link Achiev"

I promise, in less than 1 Week, this Board will be full of whiners, QQing about achievement-linking coming back
    Thats why you get underachiever >,< .... most raid leaders dont bother inspecting the players achievement in person since its too much work for them... Altho GS can be faked too by getting pvp gear which has fairly high ilvl, but thats effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post

Achievement > GS, achieve means they've been through it and, hopefully, know what they're doing. So yes, please, do kill GS. And thanks in advanced.