Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Best Hunter spec to beat a Rogue?

Just curious. I've been PvPing on my Hunter for a change (bored with my other characters, basically just waiting expansion right now) and I'm finding melee classes to be super hard to kill, especially Rogues.

Tried PvPing as Surv and MM, think I like MM better because of the better burst and silencing shot.

---------- Post added 2010-06-26 at 07:05 PM ----------

Actually, nm. Not wasting my time PvPing on a class with tons of limitations like a dead zone and no self heals. Back to my Lock I go.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

MM hunter is one of the downright most OP specs, especially when it comes to DPS on clothies. MM is the best hunter spec out there too.

If you fail at your hunter you need to bind a bit more stuff and get a fresh cup of l2p. 'class with tons of limitations' smells like you haven't quite learned all the tools a hunter got.

Quote Originally Posted by Martsus View Post
    MM hunter is one of the downright most OP specs, especially when it comes to DPS on clothies. MM is the best hunter spec out there too.

If you fail at your hunter you need to bind a bit more stuff and get a fresh cup of l2p. 'class with tons of limitations' smells like you haven't quite learned all the tools a hunter got.
    What a helpful response. Someone pee in your cornflakes this morning?

OP, to start with, since your issue is pvp related can you at least say that you're in full resilience gear? The next best thing I can suggest is checking out wowwiki.com for hunter macro's, there are some good combo's there that will assist with deterrance / disengage / use of trinkets, etc.

1. Use Frost Trap
    2. Use Flare
    3. ???
    4. Dead Rogue

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    1. Use Frost Trap
    2. Use Flare
    3. ???
    4. Dead Rogue
    I wish it were that easy my friend
    I'm just an ex-con trying to go straight to get my kids back

mm hmm, frost traps, disengaging, just whatever you can do to prevent him being close to you and he's as good as dead. if he's slow you can wing clip him before disengaging and he's nice and slowed down, if he's fast he'll disarm you before you disengage and you'll be helpless.

on the rogue side i have experienced both scenarios.

best way to kill them is to attack them while they're fighting someone else, while you're at max range from him. by the time he notices you're there he's dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirigi View Post
    What a helpful response. Someone pee in your cornflakes this morning?

OP, to start with, since your issue is pvp related can you at least say that you're in full resilience gear? The next best thing I can suggest is checking out wowwiki.com for hunter macro's, there are some good combo's there that will assist with deterrance / disengage / use of trinkets, etc.
    What an idiotic response to my response, someone pooped in your milk this morning?

The guy is first asking what the best spec for beating rogues is, which is MM(like I said). He then says the hunter class is so full of "limitations" he can't play it and goes back to his Lock, and I tell him to learn to play his hunter a bit better so he can find out himself it isn't as bad as all that.

I'm sure your wowwiki macro crap is helpfull and all but that was sadly not the point nor the question in this thread.
    Last edited by Martsus; 2010-06-27 at 01:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't care what anyone says. BM is easy against rogues. Flare, frost trap and snake trap. Soon as you see them, hunters mark. Let your pet maul them and kite/shoot them. Pet dies somehow before this is over, heart of the phoenix. If he comes for you, beast within will unstun you, deterrence or disengage.

BM is best against a rogue... Bestial Wrath gets you out of their stunlocks (and keeps you out...), Your pet does a lot of damage to the rogue while he's on you, and you have a pet stun and whatever extra pet talents you may have picked up from having the extra 4 talent points from BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Actually, nm. Not wasting my time PvPing on a class with tons of limitations like a dead zone and no self heals. Back to my Lock I go.
    Wow, says a lot about the wow community. No one wants to learn a class. GG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemaro View Post
    Don't care what anyone says. BM is easy against rogues. Flare, frost trap and snake trap. Soon as you see them, hunters mark. Let your pet maul them and kite/shoot them. Pet dies somehow before this is over, heart of the phoenix. If he comes for you, beast within will unstun you, deterrence or disengage.
    "You cant do that while stunned"
    *Trinket!*
    "You must equip a weapon to use that ability!"

Everyone in this thread is assuming that the hunter knows the rogue is there and gets the first hit. It's very different when a rogue gets his opener on you.
    I usually trinket out of kidney shot,freeze/snake trap, wingclip(if not disarmed already) disengage, then if the rogue gets close and I'm still disarmed, I'll deterrence, which should burn the rest of the disarm. After that wingclip and try and get away as much as you can, get a SSting, chimera, aimed. It's really all in the beginning, although through this he could be evasioning, sprinting and all that good jazz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beastial Wrath works while you're stunned? And a trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Renshe View Post
    "You cant do that while stunned"
    *Trinket!*
    "You must equip a weapon to use that ability!"

Everyone in this thread is assuming that the hunter knows the rogue is there and gets the first hit. It's very different when a rogue gets his opener on you.
    I usually trinket out of kidney shot,freeze/snake trap, wingclip(if not disarmed already) disengage, then if the rogue gets close and I'm still disarmed, I'll deterrence, which should burn the rest of the disarm. After that wingclip and try and get away as much as you can, get a SSting, chimera, aimed. It's really all in the beginning, although through this he could be evasioning, sprinting and all that good jazz.
    Weapon chain rocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martsus View Post
    Weapon chain rocks.
    You're still stunned for around 4 seconds, and disarmed for 5 seconds, which, if you're bad at math, is 9 seconds where you can't do much besides have your pet smack him.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I usually trinket out of kidney shot,freeze/snake trap, wingclip(if not disarmed already) disengage, then if the rogue gets close and I'm still disarmed, I'll deterrence, which should burn the rest of the disarm.
    You cant Deterrence while disarmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish it were that easy my friend
    If you are a hunter and are losing to a rogue 1v1 you suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zworg View Post
    You cant Deterrence while disarmed.
    then deterrence right after trinket and disengage after it's over :P

I have not had much in the exp of playing a hunter as im a rogue but i find most hunters to go down so easily at my level anyway most of them just don't know how to play.

But i do come across the odd 1 or 2 hunters that can pretty much counter everything i do, i open with Prem/ambush > kidney, they trinket, i disarm, they (that move where they jump back?) i shadowstep, they trap(frost) i use racial, pet stuns me, i vanish (doesnt work or by that time theres a dot on me) and pretty much im dead if their bm or if they have alot of burst and they outgear me. But other than that the way to beat a rogue is to have the upper hand and get him first before he gets you. I find that i can take down any class i see first, but if they see me, im dead if i can;t escape into stealth (seriously druids farie fire lasts too long ;/)

other than that watch some hunter pvp movies on youtube against rogues there is alot there. Just keep at it and you'll soon learn to take them down with ease.
    Last edited by Harléquin; 2010-06-27 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spelling

trinket cheap shot >> deterrence or use pet intervene (stops kidney) >> flare (stops vanish stun) >> frost trap run away >> pewpew ?

In terms of spec theres not much too it really one of these should do
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#cZ0eVooGdGIsxuVof0hiob or http://www.wowhead.com/talent#cVbRzxgRfu0est0eVooZc or http://www.wowhead.com/talent#cZ0eVooZf0IiofIhedIMod

Not that it will help now if you've given up already
    Last edited by Lyaral; 2010-06-27 at 01:49 AM.

All I will say about the average Hunter is that I know the Night/Blood Elf backpedal animation better than any other animation in the game.

Hunters are like the second best 1v1 class in the game anyway, so if your reaction to not being able to beat something is "screw it this class sucks" you should probably reroll Runescape. Hell, if you're concerned about Rogues and you'd rather play a Warlock than a Hunter...
    - Dreams. What are dreams? Dreams are nothing, my brother.
    - Dreams are nothing, sister? Without dreams, there could be no despair.