Demon soul costs a soul shard? Since when?

I've been hearing quite a lot of people sayin' on the forums that Demon Soul costs a soul shard , even tho that blizz mention that the ONLY SPELL that acctually will cost a soul shard is Soul Burn , so I automaticly negate the possibility about it , but then I read there posts again , and I see that they believe that... so does it really , or they be trollin' mon?
    Passing the 852 mark doesn't give me dat extra immolate tick. Bug?
    I think the guides that give haste values for new ticks all assume 5% Haste buff.
    You sure?!How much more haste do you assume I need for the extra tick?
    I'd assume you need 5% more

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=77801 says nothing about a Soul Shard cost. Though Ghostcrawler has mentioned concerns to the limitation of using Demon Soul three times a fight.

Moral of the story: Beta is Beta and no one can actually test Demon Soul yet as it requires level 85 and the level cap is 83, so Blizzard probably hasn't even finished implementing it.

Quote Originally Posted by EradicatorSanctuary View Post
    I've been hearing quite a lot of people sayin' on the forums that Demon Soul costs a soul shard , even tho that blizz mention that the ONLY SPELL that acctually will cost a soul shard is Soul Burn , so I automaticly negate the possibility about it , but then I read there posts again , and I see that they believe that... so does it really , or they be trollin' mon?
    The Demon Soul tool tip reads that it costs a soul shard, Ghostcrawler has implied they haven't made up their minds about the shard requirement yet.

Just seems for a class with so much promise, they are very keen to pull back the little treats they offered us before.

Soul Burn Instant Fear - Gone.
    Fast regeneration of shards outside of combat. - Gone, now have to be earned back through an OOC channel, or executes during battle.
    Removal of the need for soul link. - Gone, because they cannot ballance the class without it.
    Soul Burn being the only spell to cost a shard. - Gone, being the point of this thread.

So sad to see the vaunted new soul shard system be reduced to "you can cast demon soul 3 times in pve". Which is how it seems to be now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felshen View Post
    So sad to see the vaunted new soul shard system be reduced to "you can cast demon soul 3 times in pve". Which is how it seems to be now.
    Not looked up the Improved Soul Fire talent? Very strong case to be had there to burn a shard for an instant SF as an opener.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Not looked up the Improved Soul Fire talent? Very strong case to be had there to burn a shard for an instant SF as an opener.
    This buff pales in comparison to what demon soul can provide while you have trinkets going. If you can afford the talent points for a limited duration buff (80%+ = 1 minute of a 5 minute fight), it'd be better to pre-cast a soul fire to land as the tank grabs the boss than to spend a shard on it.

R.I.P. YARG

i dont think it will cost a shard.. but sould burn isnt the only move that will cost a shard mind you. there was a list somewhere a while ago, but i honestly dont feel like looking for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is unconfirmed that demon soul will cost a shard, but it does have a 2 minute cooldown. Most fights last 6 minutes or less, so 3 times per fight is accurate.

Or it costs a shard, which is the side of the fence I'm sitting on. Why plan/think about the stronger version of the spell only to be let down? Much more sense to think about the limited version of the spell and be pleasantly surprised later.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    /bow.

Wait & see, u know,it's beta...

15+ Year Old Account
    There we go! Thanks Boubouille.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    This buff pales in comparison to what demon soul can provide while you have trinkets going. If you can afford the talent points for a limited duration buff (80%+ = 1 minute of a 5 minute fight), it'd be better to pre-cast a soul fire to land as the tank grabs the boss than to spend a shard on it.
    Do we know if Soul Burn shares a cooldown with Demon Soul that would prevent stacking these? Assuming there are adds in the fight, shards shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Do we know if Soul Burn shares a cooldown with Demon Soul that would prevent stacking these? Assuming there are adds in the fight, shards shouldn't be a problem.
    Erm, are you aware that the current plan is to not allow regeneration of shards during combat so that these cooldowns have more strategic importance? At least that's the last of I heard of it. As for them stacking: no clue. WTB Beta invite :[

Soul Shard Overhaul

This major change regarding Soul Shards was previously announced at BlizzCon 2009. Soul Shards will no longer be inventory items, but instead a new UI resource mechanic. Warlocks will have 3 Soul Shards that can be used during a fight and will not be able to gain additional shards during combat. Soul Shards will not be required outside of combat. Soul Burn will consume a Soul Shard resource, thereby allowing you to use the secondary effects of some spells. Soul Burn has no mana or health costs and is off the global cooldown. Planned secondary effects are outlined here.

* Summon Demon + Soul Burn = summon the demon instantly.
    * Drain Life + Soul Burn = Reduces cast speed by 60%.
    * Demonic Circle + Soul Burn = Increases movement speed by 50% for 8 seconds after teleporting.
    * Unstable Affliction + Soul Burn = Instantly deals damage equal to 30% of its effect.
    * Soul Fire + Soul Burn = Instant cast.
    * Healthstone + Soul Burn = Increases total health by 20% for 8 seconds.
    * Searing Pain + Soul Burn = Increases the crit chance of Searing Pain by 100%, and subsequent Searing Pain spells by 50% for 6 seconds.
    Of course this could have changed, I haven't been following Warlock changes as closely as Mages. Keeping an eye on them, though, as I'm currently leveling a lock.

Wanted to add this too:

Generating shards in combat
    On regenerating shards in combat, we will add a mechanic to regen shards if we find that we need to in order to handle variable combat length. We haven.t added one yet because we really want to emphasize locks using shards at the right time and not as fast as they can with then an Evocation-like spell to bring them back again. These are supposed to be special moments in a fight -- think Bloodlust perhaps -- and not used every 20 seconds on cooldown (or whatever the cooldown ends up being).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato Bus View Post
    Erm, are you aware that the current plan is to not allow regeneration of shards during combat so that these cooldowns have more strategic importance? At least that's the last of I heard of it. As for them stacking: no clue. WTB Beta invite :[
    They can be regenerated by finishing a mob with Drain Soul or Shadowburn.