LFD, PUGS and whatnot - Tank perspective

Hello.

This is a rant post, so bare with me.

With the launch of Cataclysm I decided to roll a tank, after seeing how bad the queues were on my mage whom I leveled first to 85. I then proceeded to level my paladin to 85 and like everyone knows it tanks have instant queue. I tanked my way up the normal dungeons and geared up. DPS was alright between the players I played with, and most dungeons were pretty forgiving on mistakes. Healers were doing alright too.

I finally gear up for heroics and in the beginning it was quite alright, but after a while it became worse - much worse. Now, everytime I do the LFD 2 out of the 3 DPS'ers are complete, asinine morons who fail at everything they come across. For example today, I queue for LFD and end up with Grim Batol. Fair enough. By the time we reached the last boss, switched out 2 healers who rage quitted and several single DPS who couldn't stand the two others doing 5k DPS and doing less than me. By that time an hour and a half passed too.

Comparing peoples gear and skills to my own I find it very fustrating that people can't fathom such simple mechanics. I have several 85's - most of them are DPS. When I see people barely peak 8k DPS who is equally geared to my rog or mage during bloodlust I wanna cry, because at that time I'm doing 15k+.

My problem is that most DPS that are currently queueing are complete, and utter shit. Not only do they fail at the most simple mechanics, but the also fail at what they are supposed to do. BRING THE DAMAGE. Healers are mostly doing well, but the bigger mana issue I've experienced healers who are so cheap with their heals that they forget to heal other than the tank and themselves.

Overall I have a very bad experience with LFD, and my hope for mankind is quite dwindling. WoW is a fairly simple game, how someone can fail at doing something as simple as killing an add 8 times in a row is beyond me.

/qq over

And even the 'social, random' guilds I'm in has mostly incompetent players. Does one really need to join a raiding guild to do something as simple as heroics?

Quote Originally Posted by vryer View Post
    And even the 'social, random' guilds I'm in has mostly incompetent players. Does one really need to join a raiding guild to do something as simple as heroics?
    Yes
    Unfortunately.

I am in causal raiding guild and as healer only do heroics if I am able to get 5 man guild group, sometimes 4 man + pug tank.

I'd rather skip that daily income of 70 valor points, keep my sanity and get my valor points thanks to raiding. We are not hitting weekly valor cap by raiding just yet, but we are getting there with 9/12 farm for now.

Get into guild that is developed enough to have their own forum, written rules and some kind of application procedure (requires to fill in some kind of form). These guild are usually serious enough to give you decent gaming experience, even if they have progress of 1/12. At least you know that some of these people are trying to achieve something and be good/not suck.

I have to admit, one reason I do not queue as a tank anymore (Warrior) or only once per day for the valor points is because of the fact that at least as a DPS, I know there will be one DPS person who can manage their aggro, attack the right target, interrupt and not die in green gas. I personally find the dungeon run faster if I DPS with a mediocre PuG tank vs. me tanking with 3 mediocre or poor DPS.

If there is more than one other tank who feels the same way, then that could be a reason for such long queue times for DPS on heroics.