Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

People in this game get "offended" too easily.

Right so my friend last night finally got back from his holiday and was happy and said in trade "I'm back!!" because he is quite well known.

I said in trade to answer him "You gay bro? " Gay as in the original meaning off happy.

Today I was in a battleground and boom I had been banned for this reason.

Category of Violation: Sexual Orientation Harassment
    Account Action: 48 Hour Suspension

Greetings,

We are writing to inform you that due to your language or behaviour we have, unfortunately, had to add a warning to your World of Warcraft account. It is with regret that we take this type of action; however, it is in the best interests of the World of Warcraft community as a whole and for the integrity of the game."

I appealed to it and will hope for a interesting reply from blizzard.....

Deleted
    sorry mate but now days gay=homo may have been diffrent a while ago but now.....sorry/shrug. just use simple term that people wont get offended about.

I appealed to it and I hope they better have a good reason to of which I was banned...

10+ Year Old Account
    (assuming your story is true)

its sad because in no way did you actually belittle or bash homosexuals. "you gay bro" implies nothing. any negative connotation with that phrase was projected by the dipshits who reported you. bust.

Well, it can be seen as an insult, as it is used as such so often.
    It's a shame you're got banned for this, I think it's something players should be left to sort out for themselves, not to have 'mummy Blizzard' step in and slap you on the wrist.

Well the meaning of gay means mostly homo now a days. I know it was your friend and it was ment as a joke but you brought it on you self

I appealed, but I'll probably have to eat up the 48 hour ban before they read it. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Fighting alongside Turalyon and Alleria against the Burning Legion
    Interesting you actually have GM's on your server that actually do stuff? GM's on my server are a myth..only ever heard about, never have we seen a GM actually answering tickets or dealing with harrasment in trade chat.
    Participator in the Great 'Real ID Forum Change' Riot July 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Divaet View Post
    I love being self-richeous..
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyBlink View Post
    Malygos flips out and creates a mana blackhole. Mages no longer use Mana, instead having a new resource called 'Derp'.

It's not so much that people get offended. It's really more along the lines that anyone that saw it in trade can report it anonymously, and it holds weight.

I got reported for calling someone who deliberately captured Snowfall Graveyard (so we could go through an hour long stalemate) an asshole in Alterac Valley, and i have seen people get away with far worse in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Alot of WoW players these days.. major carebears. They get offended by simplest things and take everything people say as an insult. Its a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...... i'm offended by your statement

Was this the same friend who you went bmxing down a hill by a castle near his house?

If so, props.

Actually, anything that could be remotely suggestive/offensive can get you banned. The only problem is most people are too lazy/don't care enough to report people.

It's retarded that you got banned in this case, since there is so much other sick shit that goes on in trade (edit: that is worth banning someone for.)

Quote Originally Posted by Larancy View Post
    Alot of WoW players these days.. major carebears. They get offended by simplest things and take everything people say as an insult. Its a shame.
    Its because people like you the game has become this way... so yeah, deal with it or leave.

Meh, in no way was it offensive.

Can be interpreted as a simple question and not ment as an offence.. People just whine to much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonb View Post
    Its because people like you the game has become this way... so yeah, deal with it or leave.
    Shut up..

damn negative connotations. wayyyy too many words have been contorted to mean negative things in the English language.
    Last edited by questions; 2010-08-12 at 12:52 AM.
    That you're offended becuase of such a stupid reason as someone suggesting implementing a custom used in the west world, of which it's history and mythology Warcraft is mainly based upon offends me.

if you were standing in a mall and yelled over an open crowd of people "you gay bro?" It doesn't matter what your definition of the word gay is, it doesn't matter who you are talking to, or what your intent was. People WILL get offended, even if for dumb reasons.

Just like the mall administration, blizzard has to keep a fix on what they tolerate in public social conversation, especially when it's open to an E rated audience.

They made the right call. Sorry bro, suck it up and deal with it, and keep that shit to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonb View Post
    At the end of the day.. Its a game people want to have fun. Why worry over little things people say? Why find it offensive at all? Also your statement makes no sense

People need to get with the program and start to understand that this is the internet and this is how people talk here. Ban as many people as you want but your going to have to listen to it because the number of people that don't give a rats severally out number the white knights out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Silver
    "Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day."

I was in a pub one night, a punter calls the bar girl a 'wench' and states with a big grin on his face 'Wench is just an old word for woman' She gets upset and I punch him. Am I easily offended? or do some people need a lesson sometimes?!