Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post
    That's offensive, and you're lying and I'm glad you got suspended.
    Coming from the guy in a guild 'LOL U MAD BRAH'. I find this a little lulzy. Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    Right so my friend last night finally got back from his holiday and was happy and said in trade "I'm back!!" because he is quite well known.

I said in trade to answer him "You gay bro? " Gay as in the original meaning off happy.

Today I was in a battleground and boom I had been banned for this reason.

Category of Violation: Sexual Orientation Harassment
    Account Action: 48 Hour Suspension

Greetings,

We are writing to inform you that due to your language or behaviour we have, unfortunately, had to add a warning to your World of Warcraft account. It is with regret that we take this type of action; however, it is in the best interests of the World of Warcraft community as a whole and for the integrity of the game."

I appealed to it and will hope for a interesting reply from blizzard.....
    Definition of "gay" according to the dictionnary: Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry. Conclusion: Blizzard canNOT get you banned for this, and I hope that you will make them realize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    transfer to hyjal(us) horde... 75% trolls and no one reports except for strong racism
    EDIT: oh yeah... European server nvm

Quote Originally Posted by Yazus View Post
    People who get offended by "you are gay" because they are not confident with themselfes/not sure about themselfes. Which leads me thinking OP guy that reported is gay.
    Wrong.
    I'm very sure of myself, but I still find it offensive when people say things like that, simply because they are using a term for a group of people I belong to with a negative connotation.

If someone was joking around and said "bitch, get back in the kitchen and make me a sammich!" and a woman was offended, would you tell her to grow up?

What about if a black guy punched another guy for joking around saying "Nigga please"?

It has nothing to do with "not being sure of yourself" or some bullshit. It's the fact that someone is using a term for a group of people you belong to in a negative manner, or saying something sexist, or using a racist term, whether it's joking or not.

Although, I guess most people here wouldn't understand that, since most people here are straight, white, christian males, which is apparently superior to everything else.

Beautiful sig made by Nicolette

most of the time people who play wow are not actualy offended they just like to report people becouse it makes them feel good about themselves

Quote Originally Posted by micvampir View Post
    most of the time people who play wow are not actualy offended they just like to report people becouse it makes them feel good about themselves
    You're just generalizing.

In school I learned that gay means happy, and that was around 8 years ago. It was even in a song that went like: "Everybody's happy, everybody's gay!"

I think Blizz should ban if the one the message was meant for is offended and reports you, not if that random that thought it would be fun to report you because he saw you use the word in the chat.

ppl act offended just to troll u

Quote Originally Posted by Brezals View Post
    ppl act offended just to troll u
    Why can't people just stop generalizing ? Don't take someone's case as everybody's.

Quote Originally Posted by Oni View Post
    Srly? Who the hell uses "gay" instead of "happy" nowadays? I don't believe that was only what actually happened ~
    Next time use the trade channel for what it was actually made for, TRADING instead of asking people if they are "happy" or not.
    I still use it in real life, my grandad who is 90 next year still uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heris View Post
    Why can't people just stop generalizing ? Don't take someone's case as everybody's.
    Why what's your reasoning for being one of those oh so loved cigarettes?

I lack any sort of sympathy for those lowlifes that are litterally waiting for a reason to report someone. It's like these old people hanging out the window watching all day just waiting for a reason to call the police, but atleast their excuse is they have nothing else left to do with their lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    I still use it in real life, my grandad who is 90 next year still uses it.
    Maybe it's a UK thing. Sadly, at least in the U.S., the word "gay" has a negative connotation. Not knowing you, I would have taken your comment in trade as derogatory too.

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl View Post
    Although, I guess most people here wouldn't understand that, since most people here are straight, white, christian males, which is apparently superior to everything else.
    We are.

And I shouldn't have to explain this but after seeing the kind of people this thread has attracted I feel the need to say thats a joke.

Deleted
    come to crushridge easy blasphemy easy insulting, NO BAN, free to blame gays homo all this kind of plp for free, or atlast 20euros! trasfer now!

wow a blizzard gm toke the time to ban u....well how come they havent banned half of the trolls on my servers trade.....u should hear some of the offensive thing that are said!

You sucked on any faggots lately OP? Do you find them delicious? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food) If you used that phrase in Trade, even on EU servers with UK residents, you should expect negative effects and the possibility of a temporary ban.

The modern usage of "gay" is to refer to homosexuality. "Nigger" evolved out of the Latin word for 'black' (niger) and was intended to be neutral and inoffensive. Just because a word has an almost archaic original meaning doesn't give you free reign to be a smart-ass. It's pretty obvious OP that you meant for people to be mistaken and/or offended by your word use and are just trying to squirm out of a ban.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

Let me fix this whole thread

people are fed up with the idiotic crap

Though it wasn't meant to be offensive, it gets annoying. Mostly because I have seen way too much of this lately, people trying to be clever to appeal to their idiot friends, when they are just acting rather immature. It's not clever. And don't be insincere. You knew exactly what you were doing. You were trying to be clever with the term gay, and it was just a silly and pointless joke. If you meant happy, you would say happy. There are too many people trying to impress their friends in WoW by acting like everything they say is hilarious. It's really old.

That being said, I never report people. I either ignore them, or if I am in a random dungeon group with them, I will initiate a vote for them to be kicked. Unfortunately, I've gotten groups where there are two friends, trying to be 'clever' and impress each other, and at that point you can't vote to kick. If you want to be taken seriously in this game, don't act petty and make jokes that are only funny to immature trolls. I'm not offended easily at all. I'm just tired of people broadcasting their really bland, obvious jokes and expecting everyone to laugh along with them.

Edit: Altus summed up my sentiment in fewer words xD

I say the same thing every time this topic comes up.

I am not offended by much at all, but I laugh every time someone complains about being banned because it is so easy to avoid. Just don't push the envelope. Really. It's that easy. You can actually control what you type. There really isn't any point in being crude in trade chat etc. It just makes you look immature.

OP: I doubt you meant "happy" don't try to BS us. I also get the feeling that that isn't the first off-color remark you've posted in /2. If it was truly the first time you've said anything reportable, I'd be surprised about a ban for one comment. But still, as I said, it is incredibly easy to just not type anything like that, so I can't say I pity you.