Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pain Sup / GS announce mod

So I used to use a macro to announce to raid when I applied Pain Suppression or Guardian Spirit to a target, with a countdown to expiration to enable tanks and other healers to know that it is up and exactly when it should expire in order to facilitate chaining of CD's when necessary (very handy when dealing w/ enraged shamblers on H LK).

There were some potential problems with using a macro, though: it would still announce even if the spell was on CD, the target out of range, or target out of line-of-sight, leading others to think a safeguard was in place when it wasn't; it would sometimes spam raid if I hit the button a few times under the logical operating theory that if you hit it a bunch of times it would work better; and in the case of GS, it would not indicate if it was removed early by actually saving the target's life via a proc'd heal.

Couldn't find a mod that would handle this the way I like (some announced application and expiration, but nothing to make synchronized chaining easier), so I did what any other industrious programmer-wannabe would do: I begged for help. The credit for the following addons belongs 100% to Treeston, one of our moderators in the Interface and Macros forum. They work flawlessly and I thought some of you might find them useful as well, so figured I'd post them here (you can see the code, etc, in the original post here).

PSAnnounce will announce application of your PS on target and count down the last 3 seconds till expiration.

GuardianSpirit mod does the same for GS, but will cease the announcement of any remaining seconds and instead announce early expiration if the heal is proc'd.

Both of these base their actions off the combat log, so there are no 'false' notifications, and at ~ 1kb each aren't taking any toll on your memory resources. To use, simply unzip the folders to your Interface>Addons folder and you're good to go next time you start up WoW.

@ Treeston - thanks again!

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

I use Castyeller2. It's not horribly intuitive, but you can set it up to send random messages on when the spell actually casts, not when you hit the ley.

Why not just use a macro?

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Guardian Spirit
    /run SendChatMessage("Guardian Spirit applied.", "WHISPER", nil, UnitName("target"))
    /in 10 /run SendChatMessage("Guardian Spirit faded.", "WHISPER", nil, UnitName("target"))
    Or for a yell:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Guardian Spirit
    /y Guardian Spirit applied on %t!
    /in 10 /y Guardian Spirit faded from %t!
    That should work just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    I use Castyeller2. It's not horribly intuitive, but you can set it up to send random messages on when the spell actually casts, not when you hit the ley.
    Mentioned this in OP - this eliminates the issue of false announces but does not help coordinate application of other CD's in a continuous chain where it is warranted. Even if the mod is set to announce expiration, having a 3..2..1.. makes it much easier for a subsequent CD to be attached with minimal overage and no gap for maximum CD efficiency and uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Why not just use a macro...Or for a yell
    Also already mentioned, aside from the spam potential these can both give false announces if the spell is on CD, target is out or range / LoS, you are prevented from casting the spell by silence effect/other cc. And, macros / yells won't announce early expiration for GS.

There was no mod or macro I could find that accomplished all of the goals without any of the drawbacks, hence the new ones.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Castyeller2 and poweraura can do what you want to some degree. You can setup PWA so that it display the duration of the buff casted on the tank/any specific person in the form of countdown timer on screen of people with the addon installed - which is the most common case of chaining cooldown. Castyeller2 handles cast announcement.

15+ Year Old Account
    So, my question is.. what does it say when Guardian Spirit procs? And can we change what it says? Because I'd like to have a "I JUST SAVED <character name>'s LIFE!" >.>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure dbm annouces pain suppression cast. At least it does in battlegrounds.

I suggest you look into Guardian Spirited. It works for the Priest cooldowns quite nicely.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    You can setup PWA so that it display the duration of the buff casted on the tank/any specific person in the form of countdown timer on screen of people with the addon installed
    This may work, but would require others to use that add-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eis View Post
    So, my question is.. what does it say when Guardian Spirit procs? And can we change what it says? Because I'd like to have a "I JUST SAVED <character name>'s LIFE!" >.>
    You can see and edit the declaration in the GuardianSpirit.lua file (just make sure to edit it with something like notepad, not with word).

Quote Originally Posted by Repo123 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure dbm annouces pain suppression cast. At least it does in battlegrounds.
    DBM doesn't announce PS. If you're seeing it in BG's, someone has a mod that is calling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I suggest you look into Guardian Spirited. It works for the Priest cooldowns quite nicely.
    Hadn't seen that - looks nice. But again, it doesn't count down the unproc'd expiration which was a core goal, so that others wouldn't have to try to mentally estimate the elapsed time to the buff fading before applying a subsequent cd, potentially leaving either a gap in coverage or unwanted overlap.

Not trying to throw these up there as 'zomg gotta have' but rather as something that performed its task simply and accurately towards the specific purpose of easing chained cd's in a way that I haven't seen elsewhere. All of the responsive suggestions are great, but still don't accomplish all the objectives or require others to install / modify their own mods to do so.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

I'm not really sure why the countdown is very useful. I'm seldom looking at raid chat or raid warnings when I'm healing. All I did was add a counter to the CD indicator on my raid frames, and it's different colors depending on what CD is active. Thus, if I need to time it accurately, I can just watch that timer instead of whatever shows up in raid chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I ever play Discipline again, I need to recreate my old Power Infusion macro.

#showtooltip
    /cast Power Infusion
    /run SendChatMessage("You are now twenty percent more awesome!", "WHISPER", nil, UnitName("target"))
    /in 15 /run SendChatMessage("Sorry, you suck again ", "WHISPER", nil, UnitName("target"))

You are now 20% more awesome! I like that.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I'll second the vote for guardian spirited. I did a write up on it a number of months back on my blog for "AddOn Corner".

Thumbs up onthat mod. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post

You can see and edit the declaration in the GuardianSpirit.lua file (just make sure to edit it with something like notepad, not with word).

DBM doesn't announce PS. If you're seeing it in BG's, someone has a mod that is calling it out.

Hadn't seen that - looks nice. But again, it doesn't count down the unproc'd expiration which was a core goal, so that others wouldn't have to try to mentally estimate the elapsed time to the buff fading before applying a subsequent cd, potentially leaving either a gap in coverage or unwanted overlap.

Not trying to throw these up there as 'zomg gotta have' but rather as something that performed its task simply and accurately towards the specific purpose of easing chained cd's in a way that I haven't seen elsewhere. All of the responsive suggestions are great, but still don't accomplish all the objectives or require others to install / modify their own mods to do so.
    It says "DBM detects pain suppression on repo123". Not sure if it's DBM spelltimer or what, but it specifically states that it detects it in the regular chat window.

GuardianSpirited is simply awesome.

Oh and Bigslick.... Guardian Spirited tells you (or your channel, target, whatever) when it drops off be it from a Proc'd Drop off (ie. prevented death), or expired naturally.

http://talesofapriest.com/?p=88

^^ there's a full write up a did a few months back, with screenshots and more examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    POWA is quite a powerful addon, not just limited to display buff/debuffs plus you can export and send pre-configured triggers to people using it. Its obligatory addon for our core raider rank and up (beside boss mods). I can see it not possible in PUG raid though

I'm not really sure why the countdown is very useful. I'm seldom looking at raid chat or raid warnings when I'm healing. All I did was add a counter to the CD indicator on my raid frames, and it's different colors depending on what CD is active. Thus, if I need to time it accurately, I can just watch that timer instead of whatever shows up in raid chat.
    Same to me. I NEVER look at chat box mid-fight, and the raidwarning is reserved for boss mod/raid leader only, hence the 'display on individual healers' path.
    Last edited by kronpas; 2010-09-20 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derevka View Post
    Oh and Bigslick.... Guardian Spirited tells you (or your channel, target, whatever) when it drops off be it from a Proc'd Drop off (ie. prevented death), or expired naturally.

http://talesofapriest.com/?p=88

^^ there's a full write up a did a few months back, with screenshots and more examples.
    Yep, looks like a great mod, but tbh I still would have sought the solution I did. For purposes of connecting CD's, I still prefer a clear countdown to expiration, at least for when it does run full course. Seeing a 3..2..1.. makes it easier for another healer to accurately extend the protection with virtually no gap or overlap.

A healer trying to extend based on the output of that mod would either have to rely on his/her internal count as to when it's going to drop off, which could cause them to have wasted overlap of up to a couple of seconds, or to wait till they see the message and then apply their CD leaving a gap up to a couple of seconds (reaction time, latency) where there is no cooldown in place. That being said, Guardian Spirited looks like the best 'published' mod for the job, though since it still doesn't provide all the functionality I was looking for, I'll stick with what I'm using now.

Side note, nice blog you have there - good reading.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Why not just use a macro?
    [...]
    That should work just fine.
    Because with this you would also yell or whisper your message even if Guardian Spirit is still on cooldown or otherwise not available (spamming the button after you've got interrupted/silenced perhaps).

I use the aftercast addon (which adds a /aftercast function to macros) for such needs usually.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Since it seems mostly relevant to this thread, I have been using CasterYeller for a couple months or so and have been very happy with it, but wasn't sure if there was a way to set it up to announce when GS procs. It's not really necessary, since I'll generally check after it runs out and let the raid know over vent if it's relevant. If not, maybe I'll check out Guardian Spirited.