Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[Suggestion] The 'Banned' Avatar

The 'Banned' avatar should only appear on that person's profile page or in the thread he/she was banned in, or have a mechanic where getting banned deletes all recent posts by that person.

Currently, if I make the nicest post in the world in one thread, commending or congratulating the original poster and then I go get banned for trolling in another thread then everyone who sees my nicest post in the world thinks I got banned for that post and it can be a misleading perspective on moderators.

I've had the same thought. You see i.e. excellent feedback from beta class changes, and the banned icon, kinda makes me think wat the fuck are the mods doing? I mean, if you find another thread with the same guy going trolltrolltrolololol then you realize, but it can definetly have a misleading perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

I don't understand how so many people are being banned. You can't look at a thread with more than two pages and not see a banned avatar. It's getting a little out of hand if you ask me. I understand if they ban someone for making new account and new thread all the time for the purpose of trolling but banning someone with over 2,000 post who has been an avid poster in the MMO-Champion forums for quite some time, doesn't really make a lot of sense. People joke and kid with others all the time but it doesn't necessarily mean they're trolling. I don't know. That's my opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeryx View Post
    I don't understand how so many people are being banned. You can't look at a thread with more than two pages and not see a banned avatar. It's getting a little out of hand if you ask me. I understand if they ban someone for making new account and new thread all the time for the purpose of trolling but banning someone with over 2,000 post who has been an avid poster in the MMO-Champion forums for quite some time, doesn't really make a lot of sense. People joke and kid with others all the time but it doesn't necessarily mean they're trolling. I don't know. That's my opinion on it.

This isn't really what this thread is about... please don't try to train my suggestion to another topic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Someone who flames at 2,000 posts deserves a flaming infraction just as much as someone who flames at 2 posts. Post count is not an excuse for poor behavior.

If you see a banned avatar, it's likely a temporary ban; there are very few permanent bans in place, excluding the ones for ban evasion. I see how it can be misleading when you see good posts from the same person in other threads, but I'm not sure if it's technically possible to show exactly which post the person is banned for (well, which post the person received an infraction for; the bans are just a result of infractions, not directly applied).

Quote Originally Posted by Cowburger View Post
    Don't troll?
    Not really the point of what he's saying.

He's saying that newer forum members might see perfectly normal posts posted by someone before they got banned, and then go on believing that the post they saw led to the ban rather than the actual one. This might make people believe that certain things are bannable offenses even though they are perfectly fine.

Don't think it's really that much of an issue tbh, but would be a nice feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mods are (some of them at least) are doing a terrible job anyway.

The point you made about people making really nice posts, very constructive, mature and well written and afterwards being banned for something stupid is just silly. I've seen it too many times happening that people are banned for supposedly "trolling" a super duper obvious troll. Been reading this forums for quite some time (since 2006 or so) and there are honestly some retarted moderators here, luckily are most doing a good job though.

Imo, don't judge people on simply on post and watch the history of the person and or what the thread was exactly about.

This post was probably 99% QQ and 1% true but whatever.

---------- Post added 2010-10-07 at 07:17 PM ----------

Oh and I totally forgot to post on-topic. But ye I agree with that.

But like I posted above in while QQ'ing moderators only seem to care about that specific troll post or whatever you did to insult them instead of the whole history of the poster.

Everyone sometimes has a moment where he/she is pissed off or is having a brain fart or whatever!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Someone who flames at 2,000 posts deserves a flaming infraction just as much as someone who flames at 2 posts. Post count is not an excuse for poor behavior.

If you see a banned avatar, it's likely a temporary ban; there are very few permanent bans in place, excluding the ones for ban evasion. I see how it can be misleading when you see good posts from the same person in other threads, but I'm not sure if it's technically possible to show exactly which post the person is banned for.
    I do think though that the banned avatar leads to a LOT of thread derailing. When the OP of a thread has a very mature and/or constructive posts and goes and is incredibly racist in another thread and gets a temporary ban, it DOES derail the thread he was nice.

"WTF MODS?!"
    "Wow, I'm probably going to get banned for this but the mods around here are crazy strict."
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I'm new to the forums, read them a lot but a new poster, and every time I see the ban avatar, I don't think "wtf did they get banned for that?" I look at the post and if it's constructive then you can tell.

I guess what you're saying is the avatar should be exclusive to the banned post due to people being incompetent enough to know what's constructive and what's not?
    Last edited by Cowburger; 2010-10-07 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Imesedupthaspelaing

15+ Year Old Account
    This isn't the place to discuss whether or not mods are banning too much / doing a good job / whatever. As we've said so many times, if you have issues with specific mods or moderation in general, please PM an admin (such as Dinnerbone or myself).

Please don't derail the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowburger View Post
    I guess what you're saying is the avatar should be exclusive to the banned post due to people being imcompetent enough to know what's constructive and what's not?
    Yeah, pretty much. I think that would definitely help.

i think there should be in bright red text under the post saying "user was banned for this post"

15+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between over here and over there
    If anything, people should at least be able to look at said person's profile and view the post that led to said ban.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamsGaming View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. I think that would definitely help.
    = D

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe keep the banned avatar as it is if it is technically difficult and have it so that when you click on the persons profile to view their recent posts the offending post is highlighted in some way, would this be possible?

Edit: i realise 'as it is if it is' is probably a record for 2 letter words in a row lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
    They laugh in the face of our pet, they laugh at our traps, they laugh at our slows and backleaps. We have but one final weapon up our sleeve. We can play on their far weaker and feebler minds to impress on them the illusion that we have died! Yes we can confound and befuddle our enemies into thinking we have slipped off this mortal coil. Of course, a fellow hunter knows different. he knows we are simply fooling them into complacency. For it is then, when they belive they have won... we strike.

Doing something like this would require a change to the database, in the sense that there would need to be a field added to whatever table contains the post header-level data to flag a "banned" post, instead of the ban status being displayed from the user table records.

An alternate suggestion is a system in place such as the one at Facepunch.com.

Simply add "User was banned for this post. (Reason: Trolling -Dinnerbone)" to the banned post?
    People familiar with the forum, and those who are new alike, will see a banning post and then know.

There is a thread the specifically says everything that can get you banned. No one is going to assume you were banned for writing some nice and not trolling.

Past that fact, you shouldn't need to worry why someone else got banned. Not really your business to worry about, just make sure you are following the rules and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This isn't the place to discuss whether or not mods are banning too much / doing a good job / whatever. As we've said so many times, if you have issues with specific mods or moderation in general, please PM an admin (such as Dinnerbone or myself).

Please don't derail the thread.
    Problem with that Sunshine is that 9 times out of 10 the mods for individual boards never answer you back the only mods I think I've ever had respond to me over an issue was one of the reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Silver
    "Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day."