10+ Year Old Account

New to Raid Healing Omni 10 man

Hello all,

I’ve recently begun raiding with my guild’s second team, and yesterday was our second day of solid attempts on the Omnitron Defense System. Our best attempt was around 25-29% mark. We don’t have logs YET, but I do plan on making an account with WoLs so that I can look at what I’m doing wrong. So taking that into account, group make up and my armory are as follows:

Tanks: Warrior, Warrior
    Healers: Holy Paladin, Holy Paladin, Holy/Disc Priest (me) http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...istanna/simple
    DPS: Balance Druid, MM Hunter, Destro Warlock, Shadow Priest, Fury/Arms Warrior

My buffs: Food: 90Int/90 Stam/ Flask 300SPI, and then raid buffs are a given.

Last night, I was constantly OOM by the end of the fight attempts. I was getting better about using my regen abilities a little bit sooner than normal so that they’d be up again, but even doing that, it was really rough on my mana.

Note: I did use Flash Heal outside of SoL procs a couple of times, as well as Binding Heal. I was shielding people who had the slimes for the movement boost, if it was needed, and I was on Raid duty with backing up Tank healing. I had PoM bouncing when the charges were gone, and I was using my crappy use trinket during Electron phases (mostly, it seemed like the best time to use it).

Also, the raid was doing very well at clicking the Lightwell, and it was constantly in my top 5 healing spells on my meter. I know I got much better with staying the Chakra states, thanks to ForteXorcist. However, other than that, I don’t know how else to really improve.

Several of the wipes happened due to the tanks getting squished, but most of the time, it was a lot of healing error. I’m not sure if my brother and the other holy paladin were trying to make up for my lack of gear, but when I looked over at his screen, it didn’t look like he was really over healing any of the raid members. We were all pretty close on the meters, with me in 1st usually at like 30% and the others at 28 and 29, and then the remaining healing done by the rest of the raid (usually Shadow Priest).

I just feel at a loss really, and I did get called out last night due to my gear. I’m working as hard as I can to get it together, and I will be getting a pant upgrade tonight. Other than that, any tips on what I can do to strive to be better?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JustTed; 2011-02-22 at 05:38 PM.
    This passion is a plagiarism.

Deleted
    Well, after hitting 85 just about a week ago, I spend 1½ day gearing up as much as I could (bought a tsunami aswell, I'm a holy priest) and then had my first raid wednesday (this is an alt) with a 9/10 social guild run who had only killed halfus previously. quickly killed magmaw & halfus that night (they had never seen magmaw before) and then decided to continue the run friday - on omnotron.

our healer setup was : Holy paladin, healing the pally I think. and an offspec shammy healing the DK -y and me as holy on the raid.
    the paladin was decent, the shammy however was really bad at keeping mana atleast, I wont comment on her healing ability, but I found myself blowing hymns etc while at as much as 100% mana because she was dipping low, and having our boomkin feeding her innervates.

Key to keeping mana on this fight is not to spam heal too much. there are 2 times your raid will take damage. During magmatrons aoe, and during electron, but it's predictable damage, so just take your time to heal it up. I don't see why you would ever need to use Flash heal outside of SoL, I mean I never had to and my raid was not very good (bare a few of them) at avoiding damage, our only problem the 2 hours it took us to get a kill was people breaking shields, or a tank death.

so I guess the only advice I have for you is to not spamheal people up, the damage is very predictable.

Deleted
    Make sure that your raid swaps when they put up the barrier, pay attention to arcanotron so he does not get his shield up, if someone attacks him. This you can and should dispel asap
    And like you said pop CD's early so you can use them again. Your gear is fine for this, I mean you have to start somewhere with raids while wearing blues.
    Actually it is where I started too and my gear looked a lot like yours, one thing I can say is to go and farm stonecore for ToB trinket, that will help you alot, that egg shit is just bad.

This is just me but I would also swap Divine Touch for blessed resilience, since everything that will hit you in this fight (and always every other fight) will net you 30% healing received, that should cut down on binding heals alot.

Shield for the movement speed is nice, but it shouldn't really be needed, but if it is a last resort then yes I would rather shield so they can get away instead of dying.

And one major thing, I don't know if you are doing it, but go and stand in the twilight puddle that arcanotron drops, it will help with your mana regen, and plan/let people know which of magmatron's aoe bursts you will be popping hymn for, remember to swap to aoe chakre first though.

Good luck

edit: oh and for the love of God, specc into desperate prayer, if you get hit you gain blessed reslience and then you pop DP, you will insta heal yourself for 70-80k. If it was me I would remove SoR, but since you are still progressing you might need to swap another talent.
    Last edited by mmoc831bd1160d; 2011-02-22 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you! The few times I had to use Flash last night were:

1 time a slime didn't go down fast enough and it bombed the tank, I used a flash and I'm sure the paladins did as well to pick the tank back up. Other times were when people were targeted by Magmatron's laser beam, I used Flash because I was nervous they'd die.

It really really helps having some epic trinkets. The mandala of stirring patterns from Tol barad, or the very expensive but simply amazingly awesome Darkmoon Card: Tsunami will both really make a massive difference on your manapool. With both, you will likely never need to use a manapot again for normalmode raids.

Omnitron is mostly healable by Heal + Serenity alone. You will only need to cast AoE heals when the lightning or fire guy is active - and especially when both are active. Save your big mana spendings for these moments. Everywhere else, you should not really need anything else but these two heals.

Other than that, like any raidfight it's mostly about avoiding damage to protect the healer manabars. For example, the arcanotron has a very heavy-hitting attack, Arcane Annhilator. This should be interrupted to save a few flash heals. It's particularly annoying since it doesn't even necessarily hit the tank, and nothing freaks out a healer more than seeing a random raider suddenly lose half of their HP bar for no obvious reason. Also, your raid need to master the movement; ensuring that only one person is hit by the flamethrower, and not standing in poison clouds, and most importantly, not attack any boss with a shield up. These things really really make a difference!

The tanks may dip low at times, but they really should not take huge amounts of damage. If they do that, then it's mostly a tank gear issue. I would not recommend going for raids with anything less than ~ilvl346 - this goes for both tanks and healers.

If your raid knows how to use the lightwell, then you are really halfway there already. In my raids, I can throw down a lightwell, yell on VT for people to use it, and still see 15 people die 15 seconds later staring at the shiny object, scratching their groin in bewilderment. If used, lightwell is a truly excellent healing spell.

I dont really have time to reply but we find this encounter works really really well with one tank 6 dps and 3 healers.

Tank keep the mobs to one side of room, ranged and healers grouped up on the other,with melee dps interupting, makes spell stealing etc.

I dont know a hugh amount about priests so i cant comment too much on yr spec and gear, but that egg shell trinket is pretty pap, try and get the int one from last boss stone core and maybe get the pvp spirit one. I wouldn't focus on mastery too much via a trinket yet as your mana is low will be the reason your crit is so low.

Are you standing in the whirlpool dropped my Arcanotron? It's a huge mana regen buff to stay in it (and a DPS buff).

Your gear isn't that bad, just looks like you need to look at rep items and see if there are any upgrades. Honestly, your gear is fine if you're outhealing the others not to mention omnitron is one of the entry level boss fights.

It's just a bit of a crazy fight with a lot going on. As a healer your main thing you need to look out for is the laser and then flame jet from the fire guy, target will need big heals. Most everything else is semi-avoidable and not really the healer's fault XD
    Last edited by Poodles; 2011-02-22 at 05:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you standing in Arcanotron's puddles? They will help with your mana and you should always attempt to get in them whenever they pop and as soon as possible.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stop shielding people targeted by the slimes:P They're extremely easy to avoid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, when I could, that is. I sometimes didn't get to them in time, or I opted to stay out if we had the Chain lightnings happening. However, for the most part, I was running into those like they were a godsend.

Make sure you're standing the blue regen stuff. Its like 275 mana per second or something along that line. To be honest, with 2 paladins, healing should be a breeze. 2 beacons for each tank is just lol for a 10 man.
    As for tips, try being vocal with the regen circles and always run to them. Try to stack hymm of hope with shadowfiend for extra mana back. Use the boomkins innervate on one of the healers and carry potions if need be.
    I'm a h.paladin and healing was a bit rough in heroic gear but if everyone is around 350 ilvl it should be simple. Make sure dps are switching bosses as to not blow up the raid with the aoe due to over damaging. So many times we end up doing that and its just a hassle to pick everyone back up. You're 2 paladins should use aura mastery with fire resistance up for the aoe and put blessing of sacrifice on the target of flame breathe or your pain suppression.
    G'luck

Tank healing is a joke on Omnitron defense system. Your holy paladins should be doing a fair amount of healing to the raid with holy radiance and light of dawn. If they aren't, then they should make a new healing strat. Your holy paladins shouldn't go far beyond 50% healing on tanks and 50% healing on raid. Magmaw and Omni are just raid healing and movement fights. I can /walk away from the slimes on Omni, your hunter should put down traps to slow the slimes.

The best way to resolve this issue is to discuss it with your two other healers. Holy paladins aren't raid healers but we are pretty good at it, so maybe have them readjust their focus little bit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
    Thank you! The few times I had to use Flash last night were:

1 time a slime didn't go down fast enough and it bombed the tank, I used a flash and I'm sure the paladins did as well to pick the tank back up. Other times were when people were targeted by Magmatron's laser beam, I used Flash because I was nervous they'd die.
    Precast a greater heal if you're worried they'll die. might aswell heal for more if you have to spend all that mana =)

Our group only gets out of puddles for the laser beam and the lightning conductor.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=79624#comments

250 mana every 0.25s, or 5000 MP5 while in combat.

At 30k to three people with the chain lightning, with damage increased by 20% for each jump... eh, we'll take the damage for getting 5000 MP5 and increasing all our ranged damage by 50%. The faster your dps kills them the less you have to worry about going oom.

As a tip, when Arcanotron is up, all the ranged spread out behind Arcanotron, with healers the closest (so they can reach everyone all the time). When the puddle comes down I disengage to it, the mage blinks, the warlock... runs..., and the healers have to move all of 8 yards.

We've found it real helpful to be placed properly for each mechanic, and thus boss combo, of this fight. Some combos you have to group up and keep an eye on adds, others you have to spread out because of lightning conductors and laser beams.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntwat View Post
    Precast a greater heal if you're worried they'll die. might aswell heal for more if you have to spend all that mana =)
    Add to that the fact that greater heal is actually pretty good HPM. Unlike flash, which is horrible.
    About EP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    With the usual caveats about these numbers being based on a specific set of gear which probably isn't what you're using, such that these answers will be approximately right but not exact
    Vanilla: 60 Shaman
    BC: 70 Rogue, 70 Druid
    Wrath: 80 Druid, 80 Paladin, 80 Shaman, 80 Rogue
    Cata: 85 Rogue (Holmés), 85 Priest (Naclwater)

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, thank you all for the help. It's been extremely enlightening to read some of the tips. I think my biggest issue (aside from gear) is my nerves and to not be so trigger happy with the Flash Heal. I will also begin standing in the puddles even when the chain lightning may happen.

Thanks all!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTed View Post
    Wow, thank you all for the help. It's been extremely enlightening to read some of the tips. I think my biggest issue (aside from gear) is my nerves and to not be so trigger happy with the Flash Heal. I will also begin standing in the puddles even when the chain lightning may happen.

Thanks all!
    Just be confident in your fellow raid members. Asking for a raid cooldown such as Aura Mastery is awesome on that fight Especially when Electron + Magmatron are up or when just Magmatron begins to cast. The start of raiding is always the toughest and it takes time to actually learn when to do what. But eventually you'll get more used to it and it will cause less strain on both you and your raid.

Good Luck and just work hard ! : )

I also did forget to mention, in your original post you seem to have lumped binding heal in with flash heal as something that has bad efficiency. Actually binding heal is a great heal. Any time you and your target will receive the full heal it is almost as efficient as Heal itself, with a lower cast time and proc'ing Serendipity.
    About EP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldriana
    With the usual caveats about these numbers being based on a specific set of gear which probably isn't what you're using, such that these answers will be approximately right but not exact
    Vanilla: 60 Shaman
    BC: 70 Rogue, 70 Druid
    Wrath: 80 Druid, 80 Paladin, 80 Shaman, 80 Rogue
    Cata: 85 Rogue (Holmés), 85 Priest (Naclwater)

I only pug things on my priest, but most of the runs end up being 5/6 and 3/4 clears (1/2 also, but lolconclave) since I jump in with decent guilds that need a healer for the night usually. I never use flash heal until I know where my mana is at for the night. Since I keep switching who I'm healing/healing with I almost never flash outside of surge procs, period. My priest is in about 350 ilvl equiv gear, 2400-2500 spirit or so unbuffed. If you're low on gear I'd say just don't flash, ever. If you need to flash then your raid fucked up. Make it their mistake, not yours. If you flash and wipe in 4 minutes because you oomed you aren't any better off anyway.

In the past month or two that my priest has been 85, I've probably used flash heal in a raid less than 10 times. Generally this is because the "third" healer is garbage and me and the other dude can't afford the mana to carry him. Anyway, my real point is just don't flash if your issue is that you're going oom.

Basic tips? Binding heal is the best thing ever. It's incredibly efficient and stacks serendipity to make GHeal that much more efficient as well. Don't blanket PW:S on slime runners, make sure they actually need the boost first (especially since PW:S is fairly expensive now). Whichever bosses are out dictates which stance you'll want to be in. I only use sanctuary chakra when magmatron is out. The rest of the time I rarely have enough people low enough to make great use of poh and coh, so assisting on tanks and single target raid healing with serenity coh's is what I prefer. I may be off here but it's just how I prefer to do it and it's worked for me. Magmatron beamed targets don't actually take that much damage. Generally one GHeal will save the person, more will just give them some extra hp afterwards (which is a good thing, but that's what other healers are for!). I'll sometimes heal a beam twice or do a GHeal+serenity, really depends on what the other guys are doing.

As mentioned above, stand in puddles 100% of the time as long as nobody will die as you're moving to it. Chains cap at 3 targets and don't really hit that hard, while the mana regen and dps gains are huge. Sit in it as long as they are around unless you have a slime on you, no questions asked.

That's all I've got for now, hope it helps!