They just really need to stop making filler episodes. I don't know if its because they don't want to run into a Game of Thrones problem, where because the show does a book (Now half a book) each year, they've only got about 3-4 more years before they're at the end of the books, or because they want to milk the show. Either way, as I've said in my previous posts fighting with people here, I don't think the amount of character development we got in the latter half of season 4 can hold up on its own. They could have easily combined episodes and not lost any of the impact. Especially the Daryl/Beth solo episode combined with the Bob/Sasha/Maggie/Daryl/Beth episode. That should have been 1, not two. I personally don't believe we learned enough about any of those five characters to warrant two separate episodes for them.

I think really the only episode this latter half of season 4 that focused on one group that deserved it was The Grove. And it was because it dealt with several decently important storyline threads being built up for more than just this half season. The conclusion of the Karen/David deaths at Carol's hands, the acknowledgement of Lizzie's sociopathy, an actual extended look into Lizzie and Mika's thoughts about the Walkers. That was the only development outside of what Michonne had done before the apocalypse that I cared even a small amount about. I suppose I would also accept that the midseason premiere focusing on Rick and Carl was also alright, but even then, I don't know if Carl's actor was good enough to give an entire episode to him alone. Im not saying he was bad, by any stretch, but that episode could have probably been combined with the one where Michonne joins them. At least for that story part, considering the episode with Michonne had another arcs in it.

Again, its not necessarily about just getting events done. I enjoy character development as much as the next person, but when its a very small amount stretched over an entire episode, then I don't think its worth it. And as a fan of the show (And the comics, although not as much as some merely out of having not read them all) and as a consumer in general, it annoys me when people pretend that it was some grandiose character development episode(s). Just because two characters are interacting, that does not inherently mean they are developing important parts of the story. I'm sure I could think of better examples if I thought about it, but just off the top of my head, the Naruto season fillers are a great example of what I mean.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-04-01 at 11:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I'm sick of people giving filler content a pass because they incorrectly say its "character development." True, good, character development adds something to the universe. I can't say that anything I saw this half of the season did that.
    Truer words have not been spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    They just really need to stop making filler episodes. I don't know if its because they don't want to run into a Game of Thrones problem, where because the show does a book (Now half a book) each year, they've only got about 3-4 more years before they're at the end of the books, or because they want to milk the show. Either way, as I've said in my previous posts fighting with people here, I don't think the amount of character development we got in the latter half of season 4 can hold up on its own. They could have easily combined episodes and not lost any of the impact. Especially the Daryl/Beth solo episode combined with the Bob/Sasha/Maggie/Daryl/Beth episode. That should have been 1, not two. I personally don't believe we learned enough about any of those five characters to warrant two separate episodes for them.

I think really the only episode this latter half of season 4 that focused on one group that deserved it was The Grove. And it was because it dealt with several decently important storyline threads being built up for more than just this half season. The conclusion of the Karen/David deaths at Carol's hands, the acknowledgement of Lizzie's sociopathy, an actual extended look into Lizzie and Mika's thoughts about the Walkers. That was the only development outside of what Michonne had done before the apocalypse that I cared even a small amount about. I suppose I would also accept that the midseason premiere focusing on Rick and Carl was also alright, but even then, I don't know if Carl's actor was good enough to give an entire episode to him alone. Im not saying he was bad, by any stretch, but that episode could have probably been combined with the one where Michonne joins them. At least for that story part, considering the episode with Michonne had another arcs in it.

Again, its not necessarily about just getting events done. I enjoy character development as much as the next person, but when its a very small amount stretched over an entire episode, then I don't think its worth it. And as a fan of the show (And the comics, although not as much as some merely out of having not read them all) and as a consumer in general, it annoys me when people pretend that it was some grandiose character development episode(s). Just because two characters are interacting, that does not inherently mean they are developing important parts of the story. I'm sure I could think of better examples if I thought about it, but just off the top of my head, the Naruto season fillers are a great example of what I mean.
    fair enough. can't say i completely disagree, there were some moments where i wanted things to move forward quicker, but every episode had something that made me enjoy it. it's hard to make proper filler with the limited characters they have and they are indeed catching up to the comics quite quickly (in my head at least). i liked how they fleshed out the marauders, even though in the comics, they are only in it for maybe 1 comic (maybe even only half).

back on the show's story itself however, im quite curious to see who is going to be the cannibal victim because Dayl was the victim in the comics. also curious if they are going the tainted meat route like they did in the comics
    Last edited by Mteq; 2014-04-01 at 11:45 AM.
    This is a signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    4) Few people missing from the reunion in the Train Car: the science guy and the other girl that was with Glenn's group
    6) Are Carol and Tyrese farther back than Rick's group - or are they already in a box car somewhere on the Terminus campus?
    4) They are there but really hard to see. They appeared on one shot (girl on the right and science guy on the left).
    6) I don't think they've arrived at Terminus yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Deleted
    What the hell is a"filler episode"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    episode that has no (or very little) influence on the story or character development. basically just there to make the season longer.

Deleted
    Thirty seconds worth of new information streched into an hour long drag where nothing new or of any relevance is learned and boredom ensues.
    The last few shows have had a lot of that.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want a good example of filler is shows, take the last season of Dexter and the "Deborah is depressed" arc.

True, good, character development adds something to the universe. I can't say that anything I saw this half of the season did that.
    Yeah, Carol having to kill her adoptive kid isn't development at all.

Rick biting off a dude's neck isn't development.

Daryl willing to die to save Rick, Carl and Michonne isn't development.

If you're going to argue do it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    found this article, pretty good read but might have some spoilers.

http://tvline.com/2014/03/31/the-wal...aths-homeland/

i mostly found the following bit as a 'finally, show us how bad-ass he can be' moment;

TVLINE | When Rick had his Dirty Harry line at the end, are we to interpret that as him kind of making peace with the monster that this new world has made him?
    Yeah, he’s resigned to the fact that he’s going to have to be a different person in order to survive. He’s really accepted the fact that he is that guy. He’s the guy that can take that on, that can be that leader, that can go to those levels if he needs to. Now that he knows that that’s in him, there’s a confidence to him now that he hasn’t had before. And that confidence will carry with him into Season 5 and, theoretically, get them out of that horrible situation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mteq View Post
    episode that has no (or very little) influence on the story or character development. basically just there to make the season longer.
    How is this by definition, bad? You could still has a masterpiece of dialogues, scenography and acting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Thirty seconds worth of new information streched into an hour long drag where nothing new or of any relevance is learned and boredom ensues.
    The last few shows have had a lot of that.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want a good example of filler is shows, take the last season of Dexter and the "Deborah is depressed" arc.
    I found the exchange between Morgan and rick to be worthy watching all season 3 on its own.
    Yet, that was clearly a filler piece (or was it?), completely alienated from the main story, with little main character development.
    I'd take a series of those filler episodes over any shitty "governor".
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2014-04-01 at 12:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is this by definition, bad? You could still has a masterpiece of dialogues, scenography and acting.
    i never said filler was bad . you asked what a filler episode was, i simply replied.

Deleted
    i never said filler was bad . you asked what a filler episode was, i simply replied.
    I bow my head and apologise
    It was a generic question.

lol episode 16 of season 4 was soo bad that aiming imo shooting for 5 mins on targets in open that don't try to dodge at all and hitting nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lakisa View Post
    lol episode 16 of season 4 was soo bad that aiming imo shooting for 5 mins on targets in open that don't try to dodge at all and hitting nothing.
    Why spoil the food? Would be rather nasty to take a bite of Carl, and then find a bullet right?

Personally, I found the season finale to be a little stale and boring.

From the very off-set everyone watching the show had the feeling that it was too good to be true, and when it turns out to be the case, it wasn't a shock, more of a "I knew that was coming anyway".

It was obvious from the moment they started shooting they were luring them into somewhere, not to mention their stupidity to walk right into a place they've no idea about. If I was in a Zombie Apocalypse, and somewhere claimed to be a haven, I would stake the place out, watch it for a few days, see what they're up too.

I wouldn't walk in, lay down my weapon and then get chased into a cart.

found this article, pretty good read but might have some spoilers.

http://tvline.com/2014/03/31/the-wal...aths-homeland/

i mostly found the following bit as a 'finally, show us how bad-ass he can be' moment;
    So it only took Rick about two years of time, a costly turf war, being forced to kill his best friend and multiple others, his wife dying, his baby presumably dying, and his son almost getting raped in front of him, to get to where Shane was after two months of relatively easy coasting?

Yeah, Carol having to kill her adoptive kid isn't development at all.

Rick biting off a dude's neck isn't development.

Daryl willing to die to save Rick, Carl and Michonne isn't development.

If you're going to argue do it right.
    Since you clearly cannot do it right, despite your insistence that other people do:

a.) I literally have a post on this very page saying that I counted The Grove as one of the few important moments this half season.

b.) The act in and of itself is not development. Him reaching his breaking point in order to do that can be argued to do so. Although I'm sure most of us with children would probably do the same if your kid was going to be raped and killed.

c.) Daryl has shown willingness to die to save Rick since probably season 2. So, no, its not.

d.) Its barely development. Something I also mentioned. Carl himself didn't really change. He went from Child Commando in the beginning of Season 3, to repressed Child Commando in Season 3 pt b and Season 4a, to I guess going back to Child Commando now? Not really development for him. Michonne, yes. Another thing I admitted.

If you're going to argue against a point, at least read the actual point. Its true I was a bit too general with my first comments, but I've altered them slightly the last few comments I've made. There were important points, but still, nowhere near as many to justify what we've gotten to spend 8 weeks to get.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-04-01 at 01:31 PM.

I personally didn't find anything about season 4 to be boring, but to each his own. I felt like S4 was a refreshing change of pace from S3 (like the snorefest where Rick and the Governor sat in the barn talking). I don't mind some of the episodes like the Daryl/Beth stuff (although that probably could've been covered in one episode instead of 2, I think).

I like the "RAWR MANLY RAMBO MACHINE GUN ACTION" stuff just as much as any other dude, but some talking and learning about the characters aren't going to hurt anything for me. The Daryl and Beth stuff, the Michonne/Carl bonding, the Hershel flashbacks, etc. Those are all okay with me.

My only complaint about S4 is that I wish the Governor stuff had all been done in S3. I think S4's mid season finale should've been S3's season finale. Then we would have the entire first half of S4 to get started on the survivors leaving the prison, approaching Terminus, going through that whole storyline, and properly ending it with the actual finale. Would've been better if S4 had been all about Terminus instead of half of it being Governor and the other half leading to Terminus.

S4's finale was a great episode IMO (I loved the bit where Rick went stone cold killer on those guys), but I don't think it should've been a finale. Rather, it should've led up to the finale. I'm wondering if S5 is going to do the same thing S4 did, where Terminus will go on until S5's "mid season finale" episode when it probably would've been more fitting to end it in S4.

Definitely happy with the show though. As I said, Walking Dead is pretty much the only thing I watch on TV these days, and I watch it religiously. My sister introduced me to it back in the middle of S1, and I'm glad she did.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-04-01 at 01:53 PM. Reason: fixed typo and added a bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    I personally didn't find anything about season 4 to be boring, but to each his own. I felt like S4 was a refreshing change of pace from S3 (like the snorefest where Rick and the Governor sat in the barn talking). I don't mind some of the episodes like the Daryl/Beth stuff (although that probably could've been covered in one episode instead of 2, I think). I like the "RAWR MANLY RAMBO MACHINE GUN ACTION" stuff just as much as any other dude, but some talking and learning about the characters isn't going to hurt anything for me.

My only complaint about S4 was that I wish the Governor stuff had all been done in S3. I think S4's mid season finale should've been S3's season finale. Then we would have the entire first half of S4 to get started on the survivors leaving the prison, approaching Terminus, going through that whole storyline, and properly ending it with the actual finale.

S4's finale was a great episode IMO (I loved the bit where Rick went stone cold killer on those guys), but I don't think it should've been a finale. Rather, it should've led up to the finale. I'm wondering if S5 is going to do the same thing S4 did, where Terminus will go on until S5's "mid season finale" episode when it probably would've been more fitting to end it in S4.

Definitely happy with the show though. As I said, Walking Dead is pretty much the only thing I watch on TV these days, and I watch it religiously. My sister introduced me to it back in the middle of S1, and I'm glad she did.
    Pretty much how I see it. (Although I do watch other shows. Well 2. Well 1, now that How I Met Your Mother is over)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lakisa View Post
    They did that on purpose to lead them on. They don't want to spoil their food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.