The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Cataclysm proffesions for Elementals

Everything below is from a strictly PVE point of view.
    I currently have Leatherworking and skinning as my proffesions, but want too change them for something more optimal for the next expansion.

Anyone done the math on what proffessions yield the best dps in cataclysm ?

It doesnt state very clearly what the bonuses are (unless i missed it)

Herbalism 480 haste on a 2 min CD

Alchemy : Increased effect and duration of a flask youre able too make, 300 int flask, so thats 90 int (Hopefully still 30 % more powerfull) and the awesome sandstone drake!

Blacksmithing : ??? (guessing the two extra sockets still)

Enchanting : Ring enchants 2x 40 agil / 60 stamina / 40 intellect / 40 strenght. For a total of 80 intellect.

Inscribtion : ??? Guessing new shoulder chants.

Jewelcrafting : 3 Chimeara's eyes. 67 of any stat or 101 stamina a piece. For a gain of (3x 67 mastery/intellect/haste/crit - 201) > Normal gems (3x 40 mastery/ intellect/haste/crit - 120) So a gain of 81 of any stat.

Leatherworking : ??? Guessing new bracer enchantments.

Mining : 120 useless stamina.

Tailoring : Embroiders a subtle pattern of light into your cloak, giving you a chance to increase your spell power by 590 for 15 sec when casting a spell.
    Embroidering your cloak will cause it to become soulbound. Requires 500 Tailoring to use.

Skinning : not listed, but more crit would be a safe bet.

Engineering : Various lvl 359 epic helms with engineering only sockets that match engineering only gems.
    A helmet with512 stamina, 301 int, 1 meta socket and two cogwheel sockets (again probably only one, or that would be OP)
    Cogwheels : 208 Mastery/haste/hit/crit (surely thats a typo, they can't be 208 a pop ?)

If anyone got anything too add or correct pls let me know, i wanna get cracking on farming mats for atleast 1 new proffesion, thinking i'd leave leatherworking if those benefits turn out ok.

So, what do you fellas think is the best ?
    Wouldnt bother me if i can make some money or have some fun with it aswell :-) But max dps is my primary concern.
    Last edited by Walkingsteak; 2010-10-20 at 03:03 PM.

My Proffesions are Jewelcrafting and Alchy

JC has 3x imba gems and Alchy has 50% increased duration and for SP Flasks its 30% more SP.
    but i dont know how it is in Cata.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    All crafting professions's perks give about the same bonus. It doesn't really matter which one you'll pick.

Take one that you'll use for other things as well as for bonuses. If you don't like to buy pots go alchemy. If you're scared of asking a guild mate for gems, go JC...

Engineering might be a bit different because it requires a specific item equipped (helm), so there is a chance it will be a bit better.

This way or another DPS difference will be marginal if any at all.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aight that's what i thought, i'm not gonna roll JC since i allready have two JC's atm, but if the flasks are indeed boosted by a similar amount of what you gain from JC etc then alchemy seems like a good option.
    Personally i was tempted alot by engineering, but crafted items has the habit of not being BiS sadly, wouldnt wanna get tied down too a specific helm if Tier one is better, T12 one will be at any rate.

As it is atm. Engineering is stacking with normal enchants - hence Engineering is the best profession atm.

You mention some useless stam for Mining - but not the 240 haste buff from the herbalism skill Lifeblood

Deleted
    Alchemy, Enchanting, Inscription, Leatherworking - flat boni to Int
    JC/BS - flat boni to Int OR haste OR mastery OR crit ... whatever will be the best stat in endgame raiding at level 85.

Engineering - fun on-use stuff, to be tested for raid-viability, but 480 Int for 12 sec. on a 1 min CD ... pretty nice.
    Tailoring - Cloak Enchants? should be roughly the bonus to Int the other prof provide

Herbalism gives a Hastebuff (480 rating at 85) on 2 minute CD ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Cogwheels are that much but they only fit in engineer helms giving you nice entry level gear, but besides that not much use so far we know.

As said before even if one stands out it wouldn't be by much and blizzard tends to nerf benefits like they did with tailoring and JC that are too great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Cogwheels are that much but they only fit in engineer helms giving you nice entry level gear, but besides that not much use so far we know.

As said before even if one stands out it wouldn't be by much and blizzard tends to nerf benefits like they did with tailoring and JC that are too great.
    I wouldn't be surprised if engineering has the ability to change 1 random socket into cogwheel socket (or maybe just meta) for example.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    So far Alchemy for one atleast is looking promising, can anyone confirm you get 30% more powerfull flasks, and that flask actuallly is 300 int ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcam View Post
    As it is atm. Engineering is stacking with normal enchants - hence Engineering is the best profession atm.
    It's also been nerfed, so that the effective bonus is about the same as other professions; I can stick a mind control gizmo on my helm, but it doesn't have +45 stam any longer. The glove accelerators only provide 240 haste for 10 (12?) seconds now. Nitro boosts no longer give +24 crit rating. Etc.

And the helms will likely be as they were in TBC; good starter gear, possibly upgradeable in each raid (will have to wait for 4.1.0 to find out, most likely), and they're customizeable, but likely will be about on par with gear that drops. The customization will likely make them close to if not BiS for most classes with Eng, if the ilevels keep up, though. Good, but not OMG overpowered by any means.

It should be on par with the rest, which is why I'm happily sticking Alch/Eng.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless it was changed this day,

It doesn't show up on tooltips, but the stamina did stack with the head enchant, the agility did stack from the cloak with a regular enchant.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's also been nerfed, so that the effective bonus is about the same as other professions; I can stick a mind control gizmo on my helm, but it doesn't have +45 stam any longer. The glove accelerators only provide 240 haste for 10 (12?) seconds now. Nitro boosts no longer give +24 crit rating. Etc.

And the helms will likely be as they were in TBC; good starter gear, possibly upgradeable in each raid (will have to wait for 4.1.0 to find out, most likely), and they're customizeable, but likely will be about on par with gear that drops. The customization will likely make them close to if not BiS for most classes with Eng, if the ilevels keep up, though. Good, but not OMG overpowered by any means.

It should be on par with the rest, which is why I'm happily sticking Alch/Eng.
    Meh if engineering has been nerfed, i'm probably better of saving the hassle and sticking with LW, surely there will be an intellect enchant for bracers in cataclysm

Staying Enchanting/JC.

Personally everything seems to be pretty balanced for the time being.
    Last edited by Roamingstorm; 2010-10-21 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Staying Blacksmith until the end of time. My second proffession i'm not sure about yet. Might pick up Engineering for fun, and for utility.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator View Post
    Staying Blacksmith until the end of time. My second proffession i'm not sure about yet. Might pick up Engineering for fun, and for utility.
    Has BS got any new bonusses? Or still two extra sockets, and ofc the option too make youre own weaps