He's correct in one thing: if Ryan and Flacco don't make "the leap" this season, then they just aren't going to. This is essentially my point on Romo as well. Starter for 6 years and has one playoff win. Cutler looked like a top 5 QB last year before he got hurt, but there's always the chance that bad Cutler comes back.

The Seattle thing was a bit much. I can see why he thinks that though. Same with the Colts. They play in bad divisions, and have easy schedules outside the division. It's not unreasonable to think they can sneak into the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    I'm not saying they're bad, just that, based on career and stats, having them ahead of Romo is nuts, and the only way their teams might be more likely to make the playoffs is through being in weaker divisions.
    I think the NFC North is a stronger division than the NFC East, Id say most people who watch the NFL would agree with that statement. I do agree though that Romo takes a lot of shit even though statistically hes one of the better QBs out there. Its hard to rank Cutler properly cuz the Bears have had one of the absolute worst WR and O-Lines in the entire NFL so nobody would really overwhelmingly succeed in those circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    He's correct in one thing: if Ryan and Flacco don't make "the leap" this season, then they just aren't going to.
    I can't speak for Ryan, but saying that for Flacco this year could be a little bit unfair. He hasn't shown that he can carry the team on his back yet, but this year there's going to be distractions for the Ravens throughout. He's going to be tested more than he has been in the previous 4 years as the Ravens are missing Suggs and Reed is becoming more of a distraction every day. That, coupled with the fact that Torrey Smith is the only WR target that he has could end up being a rough season for Flacco this year.

I'd give him this year as another developmental year, but you have to keep in mind that Flacco isn't going to 'pop' like other quarterbacks because of the divison he plays in. He's not elite - not even close - but he's better than the average quarterback but plays in the most physical, hard hitting and vicious division in the league.

I think this year Flacco is going to have to show he can be a leader, and not only on offense, but for his entire team. If he doesn't improve leaps and bounds this year Ravens fans are going to start asking questions if he's the guy, fair or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    He's correct in one thing: if Ryan and Flacco don't make "the leap" this season, then they just aren't going to. This is essentially my point on Romo as well. Starter for 6 years and has one playoff win. Cutler looked like a top 5 QB last year before he got hurt, but there's always the chance that bad Cutler comes back.
    Except Romo played head and shoulders above Cutler last year, and there are only 5 slots in that 'top 5 QB' list. By pretty much every objective measure, Brady, Brees, Rogers, and maybe the Mannings (I could include maybe Vick or Stafford with some evidence they can survive a season) are the only guys ahead of Romo.

How many guys come in undrafted, and put up more touchdowns than interceptions, a 95 QB Rating on 65% completions in their first season starting?

If you were to swap Tony Romo and Peyton Manning's stats over the last 5 seasons, no one would blink an eye.

His 'worst' season in his career:

13 Games, 61.3% Completions, 3,448 Yards, 26/14 TD-INT, 91.4 QB rating.

I won't deny that both he and the 'Boys as a whole have struggled to put together 'the' season, but if Ryan or Flacco or Cutler make 'the leap' this season, it will be to where Romo has already been.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 03:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    I think the NFC North is a stronger division than the NFC East, Id say most people who watch the NFL would agree with that statement.
    I just don't know. Last time they played, the Giants took Green Bay. I would take the Cowboys over the Bears, and I would take Philly over the Lions. 'Skins vs Vikings is a toss-up- to me it would come down to who was healthier between AP and Orakpo.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    Some players were able to overturn their suspensions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100..._saints_bounty

Unrelated, last night I ended up watching about 2 hours worth of footage and interviews of Russell Wilson. Have to say my opinion on him is now skewed a bit more to the favorable side to say the very least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Some players were able to overturn their suspensions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100..._saints_bounty
    Ha, "Victory is mine!" Makes me feel a little better about the Saints, but with the coach and GM still gone, who knows?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Ha, "Victory is mine!" Makes me feel a little better about the Saints, but with the coach and GM still gone, who knows?
    Yeah that made me laugh.

I dunno, there is a lot of hype for them to perform this year. We'll have to see how it plays out on the field I suppose. I don't know what kind of schedule they play. Also they better hope they get a home playoff game.

---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 01:06 PM ----------

Also I have unconfirmed word that Marshawn Lynch will start Sunday, least coming from him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
    I can't speak for Ryan, but saying that for Flacco this year could be a little bit unfair. He hasn't shown that he can carry the team on his back yet, but this year there's going to be distractions for the Ravens throughout. He's going to be tested more than he has been in the previous 4 years as the Ravens are missing Suggs and Reed is becoming more of a distraction every day. That, coupled with the fact that Torrey Smith is the only WR target that he has could end up being a rough season for Flacco this year.
    I think this year Flacco is going to have to show he can be a leader, and not only on offense, but for his entire team. If he doesn't improve leaps and bounds this year Ravens fans are going to start asking questions if he's the guy, fair or not.
    What choo talkin' bout Willis? Anquan Boldin is a damn good WR. I know that they aren't WR''s, but Ed Dickson, and Dennis Pitta aren't slouches at TE, and Ray Rice is a freaking amazing checkdown guy.

For the last statement, I agree, had Cam Cameron been gone, then i think that it would show what Flaaco can really be like, but they are speeding up the tempo, with a no huddle, and taking that god awful OC out of the equation just the same.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that made me laugh.
    And the guy on ESPN called it "The Family Guy". I am disappoint.

15+ Year Old Account
    Several NFL experts picked Indy to beat Chicago this weekend, in Chicago. I was pretty stunned. Everyone is in love with how Luck looks on tape, but man, jumping right in and beating a good Chicago team on the road in week 1 seems like a stretch.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the guy on ESPN called it "The Family Guy". I am disappoint.
    Oh man. Sports casters in charge of knowing TV shows.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Several NFL experts picked Indy to beat Chicago this weekend, in Chicago. I was pretty stunned. Everyone is in love with how Luck looks on tape, but man, jumping right in and beating a good Chicago team on the road in week 1 seems like a stretch.
    Yeeeah, I'm not going that far.

Anybody know of Collie is starting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man. Sports casters in charge of knowing TV shows.
    Like the episode of NCIS where McGee is returned his "computer game" and it's obviously an Xbox case, it only takes half a second to ask someone. It's still a news service, get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I've heard a few people pick Indy to beat the spread. I think people forgot how good Chicago was before half the team got hurt last year. That and people hate Jay Cutler because he's a prick.

Let me say if we (The Bears) lose to the Colts even though its week 1 there will be mass panic and chaos here. NOBODY at all expects us to even come close to losing this game here. A rookie's very 1st game for a terrible team against a improved playoff contender, it SHOULD be a blowout but we shall see. It would be absolutely devastating to lose especially considering we have to go to Green Bay the next week, which most people would expect to lose in a fairly close game.

Id say Steelers vs Broncos is the most interesting game since Im not sure what to think of either team. I could see it going either way. I believe Green Bay will own the 49ers in like a 2-3 TD game, so to me that wont be all that great. KC vs ATL may be interesting to see how good or bad either team is, it is in KC which historically has been a very tough place to play in.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jags/Vikings is going to be the biggest snore fest of them all. I'm kinda interested in Bills/Jets and falcons/Chiefs. The best game out of week one will probably be Bengals/Ravens it should be a good rival game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Jags/Vikings is going to be the biggest snore fest of them all. I'm kinda interested in Bills/Jets and falcons/Chiefs. The best game out of week one will probably be Bengals/Ravens it should be a good rival game.
    What about Niners/Packers?

10+ Year Old Account
    What about Niners/Packers?
    Thats going to be a great game, too bad they play at the same time as the hawks do.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Packers and Niners will be a good game but I don't think the Niners will have the season they had last year and I think they will lose by 13-14 points. Interesting enough for the degenerate gamblers out there the line is only 5 in favor of Green Bay in Green Bay I would take that "if I gambled" /whistling

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats going to be a great game, too bad they play at the same time as the hawks do.
    Yep, unfortunately, there's too many teams right now I want to watch. I mean, you could pick any team in the league, and I could tell you a player on that team I want to check out, fantasy league or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Arrowhead is going to be a blast Sunday. Especially because this will be Tony Gonzalez's first and barring some post season trickery, his last game at Arrowhead. Shame it'll be wearing the dirty bird instead of the arrowhead. Either way it's gonna be a great day, and hopefully and winning day for KC.