10+ Year Old Account
    If we don't get Nnamdi, I want to steal Joseph from Cinci, sure he isn't shutdown, but he is easily better than any other CB in the AFCN, Mike Brown and Cincinnati don't deserve him .
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

The NFL is about to get CRAZY

So, one of the most highly competitive, highly dynamic, and wealthiest sports leagues in the world is about to get turned loose on the free-agent market. 32 teams, ALL of which need to sign, cut, and negotiate with at least several (some even up to 40!) athletes. This process usually takes 3-5 months. They have to do it in 3-5 DAYS. I don't think there has been anything like this in professional sports.

I find it utterly fascinating. I love college football because of team loyalty, and (for the most part) players staying with their same team for 4 years. But I also love the NFL for how much it changes and adapts. Seeing combinations of players playing together that would not have been possible just a year earlier. This complete chaos is going to be awesome.

So what do you think? Who is your team, what do they need and what do YOU want them to do?

Lol. There's a couple guys in the AFCN that should be playing for Baltimore / Pittsburgh. Too skilled for teams like Cleveland and Cinci. Guys like A.J. Green, T.O, Ocho, Peyton Hillis, etc. As much as I enjoy watching a Ravens - Steelers game, I think it'd be more fun if Cleveland and Cinci weren't terrible and make the entire division competitive. It's exciting as a 2 team division, but it'd be sick as a 3 / 4 team division, like the NFC-S.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I'm a huge Bills, have been since I was born, which is why I don't watch much football anymore....
    Don't worry man I'm a Cleveland fan =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it would be sweet, the Browns are on their way. Mike Brown is a monger, so doubt the Bungals will be up there anytime soon.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyhello View Post
    So, one of the most highly competitive, highly dynamic, and wealthiest sports leagues in the world is about to get turned loose on the free-agent market. 32 teams, ALL of which need to sign, cut, and negotiate with at least several (some even up to 40!) athletes. This process usually takes 3-5 months. They have to do it in 3-5 DAYS. I don't think there has been anything like this in professional sports.

I find it utterly fascinating. I love college football because of team loyalty, and (for the most part) players staying with their same team for 4 years. But I also love the NFL for how much it changes and adapts. Seeing combinations of players playing together that would not have been possible just a year earlier. This complete chaos is going to be awesome.

So what do you think? Who is your team, what do they need and what do YOU want them to do?
    I think you are right, it will be nutz. A lot of teams are going to get burned by having to make rushed hasty decisions. I am not even touching my fantasy team for at least 3 weeks. Nnambi being the biggest risk. If my team didn't have a top 10 qb and they signed him for the stupid amount of money he wants I would be pissed. But my team is the Pats so I don't give a shit.
    Gonna be interesting to see where Palmer goes if(big if?) they release him. Don't understand why the owner would want to keep him around if he doesnt want to be there. Maybe just to be a prick?. Been reading he might go to the Seahawks and play for his old college coach.

Too bad your origional thread got merged. This one is ancient, too big and alot has transpired since it was started.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    Palmer is "retired" as I said, Mike Brown is a monger, he wanted to show that he won't break down to anyone. I feel for Carson Palmer, as he busted his arse trying to help the team, yet Mike Brown manages the Bungals terribly, Hell, I would take Al Davis as an owner over Mike Brown, at least he tries to make the Raiders better by spending, Mike Brown tries to get by with the lowest amount spent on a team. Palmer shouldn't have retired, he should've shown MB what's what, showed up and everything, and then started throwing INTs on purpose, got sat/fired. Then he wouldn't have been walking out on that 10 million or so. But still, funny that the Bengals are the only team that a guy who would get paid 10 million refuses to go to, even for that money.

Ravens defiantly won't go after Nnamdi now, we just resigned Yanda for tackle money, he is a great guard, don't get me wrong. But wow, tackle money? Jeez.

About Seattle, I hear they grabbed Lienart (old Pete Carroll guy, who was good with him, so it may work out well) and Tavaris Jackson form Minn.

Carson Palmer's biggest problem is his undeserved sense of accomplishment. He's an average QB and has his moments of glory but he's inconsistent. His inability to make big plays, or plays in general, and he's acting like a whiney child. This might be the only good thing Brown's ever done for the Bengals.

Al Davis makes my blood boil. "Immaculate deception" - Get over it Al.

Eh, I wouldn't have given Yanda that kind of money but maybe the Ravens know something I don't. If he doesn't preform though, you know the first place Ravens fans are gonna be looking is at him and wasting the money when they could have signed someone like Nnamdi.

It was smart on Seattle's half to not keep Hasselbeck. He's not gonna have that brilliance he did against the Saints last year. That was a one time thing, and I think they know it.

Steelers resigned Taylor. Not too sure how I feel about it yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay, Doug Free is staying. Now maybe we won't have to deal with random backup quarterback 3.b. for the second half of the year.

A bunch of things happened today, let's get started.

Donte Stallworth
    - The Redskins missed out on Santonio Holmes, but landed veteran receiver Donte' Stallworth, who confirmed the agreement on 106.7 The Fan on Wednesday .

Matt Leinart
    - The Texans have agreed to a contract with Leinart, the Houston Chronicle is reporting.

DeAngelo Williams
    - Williams -- the top-rated running back available in free agency, according to NFL.com's Pat Kirwan -- is going to remain with the Panthers, NFL Network's Michael Lombardi is reporting, earning a new deal worth $43 million over five years with $21 million guaranteed.

Randy Moss
    - After agreeing to terms with Santonio Holmes on a five-year deal, the Jets are actively pursuing options to supplement their passing attack. While re-signing Braylon Edwards is not out of the question, the Jets have had contact with representatives for Moss, according to NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. (Looking good, they'll probably snag him.)

Santonio Holmes
    - The Jets made it clear retaining Holmes was a priority, and got a deal done Wednesday. The two sides agreed to a five-year deal that averages slightly less than $10 million per season with $24 million guaranteed, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. Three other teams were interested in Holmes, including the Redskins, but he left money on the table to stay with the Jets.

Matt Hasselbeck
    - The Titans wanted to add a veteran quarterback to help bridge the gap to first-round pick Jake Locker. Well, Hasselbeck appears headed for Tennessee after agreeing to terms on a multiyear deal with the Titans, sources confirmed to NFL Network's Albert Breer on Wednesday. Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean reports it's a three-year deal in the $21 million range.

Nnamdi Asomugha
    - The Philadelphia Eagles were able to land Asomugha. The Eagles just acquired Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie via trade with the Cardinals and they already have Asante Samuel on the roster. That is an incredible group of corners for one team. (via thecovertwo.com)

Dawan Landry
    - Landry -- the second-rated safety available in free agency, according to NFL.com's Pat Kirwan -- is a possibility for the Jaguars in the secondary, NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported.

Brett - dixpix - Favre
    - Despite reports being refuted and a denial from Favre's agent, NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks believes the quarterback should give the Eagles a shot.

Ahmad Bradshaw
    - Bradshaw seems to be conflicted about where he'll play next season, saying he wants to remain with the Giants but refusing to dismiss speculation tying him to the Dolphins.

Donovan McNabb
    - Unconfirmed reports have Donovan McNabb heading to Minnesota for a couple of picks, one being a conditional sixth round in the 2012 draft. The other is unconfirmed, but rumored to be a second round in the 2012 draft.

Richard Marshall
    - VERY early and unconfirmed reports have Defensive Back Richard Marshall heading to Pittsburgh to play opposite newly resigned Ike Taylor.

Sidney Rice
    - The Seahawks and Rice have agreed to terms on a five-year, $41 million deal that can grow to $44 million (with $18.5 million guaranteed and $3 million in Pro Bowl escalators), a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

Reggie Bush
    - Bush has agreed to a deal with the Miami Dolphins, a league source said, completing a trade with the New Orleans Saints for compensation that is not immediately known.

Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson
    - The Cincinnati Bengals dealt the loquacious wide receiver to the New England Patriots Thursday, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

Kevin Kolb
    - The Philadelphia Eagles sent the quarterback to the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday in exchange for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and an second-round draft pick, NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi reported.

Josh Wilson
    - The Baltimore Ravens lost free agent cornerback Josh Wilson to the Washington Redskins as he agreed to a three-year, $13.5 million contract that includes $6 million in guaranteed money. (via carrollcountytimes.com)

Matt Moore
    - The Dolphins have added a quarterback, it's just not the one they have been rumored to be pursuing in a trade (Kyle Orton). Miami has agreed to a two-year deal with Moore that could be worth as much as $7.5 million, The Oregonian reports.

Roy Williams
    - The Bears' receiving corps has been a topic of debate, but after waiting out the initial market, they have added a big target for Jay Cutler. Chicago agreed to terms with Williams, NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported Friday, citing a source with knowledge of the situation. Williams was released by the Cowboys earlier this week. He played under Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz with the Lions.

Willis McGahee
    - The Broncos could visit with McGahee this weekend, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. (Probable sign as of July 29)

Ray Edwards
    - The Falcons missed out on Charles Johnson in free agency, but have agreed to a five-deal with Edwards, according to NFL Network and FOX Sports reporter Jay Glazer.

Darren Sproles
    - The New Orleans Saints didn’t waste time in finding a replacement for Reggie Bush and hit the jackpot in a talented running back. Running back Darren Sproles signed a 4-year contract with the Saints. A source revealed that Darren Sproles signed a $14 million contract which includes $6 million in guarantees. (viasecaucusnewjersey.org)

Mike Sims-Walker
    - Sims-Walker agreed to a one-year, $3.7 million deal with the Rams, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

*all Analysis provided from nfl.com/freeagency. I wanted to post an unbias opinion on all of them. Also, only posting the big name guys right now 'cause that's all I have time for. Everyone I haven't mentioned, has been mentioned or confirmed before this post (i.e, Taylor being resigned, Yanda being resigned).*
    Last edited by Bamboozles; 2011-07-30 at 03:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Jets started off over the damn cap. Now they have Holmes for more money, how they hell do they expect to get Nnamdi there? Jeezuz.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    The Jets started off over the damn cap. Now they have Holmes for more money, how they hell do they expect to get Nnamdi there? Jeezuz.
    Not to mention going for Moss as well. I guess cutting Cromartie was a good move by them if they can add either / both Nnamdi or Randy.

Also, lolwtf Weddle is the highest paid Safety in the league? He's beating out Troy and Reed? Seems like a bit of a joke.

Update: Richard Marshall is coming to Pittsburgh? I don't know whether to get up and dance around, or keep cool and collect because it's very early and unconfirmed. If it's true, holy shit we finally have two great corners. I'm just wondering how we can afford him if they haven't made any cuts that I'm aware of yet.
    Last edited by Bamboozles; 2011-07-27 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cromartie is a free agent though isn't he? I thought his contract just ran out. The Jets are acting like it is an uncapped year, it isn't. This is going to wreck them if they actually do hire some of these guys, they won't have any money for their other contracts that run out while players like Nnamdi, Revis, Holmes, etc. are on the payroll.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Donovan McNabb
    - Unconfirmed reports have Donovan McNabb heading to Minnesota for a couple of picks, one being a conditional sixth round in the 2012 draft. The other is unconfirmed, but rumored to be a second round in the 2012 draft.

I wish him well where ever he goes. Always liked him.

Washingtons QB situation is going to be fun to watch. UFA Rex Grossman has them by by shorties and can name his own price..
    Last edited by kunah; 2011-07-27 at 09:19 PM.
    Operation Red Wing

Cromartie is a free agent though isn't he? I thought his contract just ran out. The Jets are acting like it is an uncapped year, it isn't. This is going to wreck them if they actually do hire some of these guys, they won't have any money for their other contracts that run out while players like Nnamdi, Revis, Holmes, etc. are on the payroll.
    Oh, damn I completely forgot about him just being a FA. That's a good point, they're gonna have some serious problems in the near future. Lol, what the hell are they doing?

10+ Year Old Account
    With the first pick in the NFL Draft: The Washington Redskins select Andrew Luck!

Calling a 2-14 season for the Redskins, tops.

And @ Bamb about the Jets, Rex Ryan is being Rex Ryan. THANK GOD we got Harbs, RR is good, but holy hell, he can confuse the hell out of me with his moves. Actually, Ozzie would overrule him! He would've done fine in Baltimore, but is getting too much leeway in NY.

With the first pick in the NFL Draft: The Washington Redskins select Andrew Luck!

Calling a 2-14 season for the Redskins, tops.

And @ Bamb about the Jets, Rex Ryan is being Rex Ryan. THANK GOD we got Harbs, RR is good, but holy hell, he can confuse the hell out of me with his moves. Actually, Ozzie would overrule him! He would've done fine in Baltimore, but is getting too much leeway in NY.
    And they'd deserve it. There's 0 reason to put in Grossman over McNabb in any situation, ever. Ever. 'Atta boy Shanahan.

I hate Rex Ryan. Not because of his fetishes or whatever, but because he talks massive amounts of shit and then his team doesn't back it up. Sure, they beat the Patriots but look at the Pats D last year. It was a bunch of rookie / sophmores that were just starting to mould together at the very end of the season. I think having that bye hurt the Pats more than anything else. Yeah, sure, they beat the Colts but again, the lack of a strong defense was easy for Sanchez. Then, when they had to face a strong Secondary in the Steelers, they were bent over. It wouldn't have mattered who won the Ravens - Steelers game, it would've had the same result. Jets losing in the AFC-C game. Rex, talk all the shit you want, but you haven't won an AFC Championship yet, let alone a Super Bowl. He looks like a clown.

Sorry for the rant. More OT, lol. I hope the Eagles do well this year 'cause I've always liked Vick. If they get Nnamdi (they're in the running, supposedly) that'll just boost their already decent Secondary to an NFC title game, I think. As long as Vick doesn't get hurt, they'll do well this year.

There's no real news guys as of this moment, but I'll check back in later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of all the NFC teams, the 49ers and Lions are my favorites. 49ers because I grew up near the Bay Area, and the other option was the Raiders.... Hell no. The Niners are in the running for Nnamdi as well I hear, that would be interesting.

The Lions are actually like an up and coming team and are showing some promise with that defense. I think they're still a ways away, but they're getting there. As for the 49ers, they have work to do. If they get Nnamdi, that'll be step 1 forsure.

edited the original list, added Sidney Rice heading to the Seahawks. Looks like the Vikings can't catch a break.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see Hasselbeck in Tennessee. If nothing else he can coach Locker. The Titans are still gonna be shit for a while though. I miss their old days.

Apparently Plaxico Burress is trying to get his old gig back in New York. I don't see a redemption story like Michael Vick, I see him screwing up again.