Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I learned a valuable lesson today. Don't follow up the finale of one anime with another finale. I wind up comparing the two, even though they have nothing in common. Blah.

im about to finish watching Serial Experiments Lain and gotta say its fuckin overrated... my review so far is: Watch it under the effects of heavy drugs or make sure you enjoy watching a slice of life from a confused school girl who is doing heavy drugs... no seriously if you think that Lain is on a bad acid trip youll see all "makes sense"...gotta finish lain fast so the weird dreams stop last night it was about me jumping on an abandoned ship to fight a red scorpion with an iron bar....

Im done for the day gonna watch last episode of Usagi drop and ill go sleep thanks god i still have natsume no yuujin-chou to keep my eyes wet and my heart warm...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karloz1337 View Post
    im about to finish watching Serial Experiments Lain and gotta say its fuckin overrated... my review so far is: Watch it under the effects of heavy drugs or make sure you enjoy watching a slice of life from a confused school girl who is doing heavy drugs... no seriously if you think that Lain is on a bad acid trip youll see all "makes sense"...gotta finish lain fast so the weird dreams stop last night it was about me jumping on an abandoned ship to fight a red scorpion with an iron bar....

Im done for the day gonna watch last episode of Usagi drop and ill go sleep thanks god i still have natsume no yuujin-chou to keep my eyes wet and my heart warm...
    Lain does have a kick ass OP theme though.

Deleted
    no seriously if you think that Lain is on a bad acid trip youll see all "makes sense"...gotta finish lain fast so the weird dreams stop last night it was about me jumping on an abandoned ship to fight a red scorpion with an iron bar....
    Damn that sounds pretty bad imo...

Nice to see people interested in anime..It's all I do some weeks. I've probably seen over 50 series. Going to list my favorite top 3, then just kinda randomly name off ones that I really liked.

Speed Grapher (Action/bit of suspense, probably my favorite anime of all time)

Louie the Rune Soldier (Older anime, but it cracks me sooo much. I honestly thought I wouldn't like it)

One Piece (Rich story, Oda really has a knack for writing. It's shounen but whatever, it's good. It's one of the few shounen animes I like.)

Maburaho (One of the few romance animes I can admit I like)

Chobits (See above)

Kaze no Stigma (It got such bad reviews but I really liked it..Mostly action-based)

Gantz (Probably bloodiest anime i've ever seen. I really enjoyed it, although it was really short-paced some episodes. I actually went on to read the manga, I don't do that much)

Deadman Wonderland (Another bloody one, but I was pretty consumed into the plot)

Has anyone ever seen the anime "Monster"? It has like 80 episodes but...I watched up to episode 12 and just got kind of sick of it...It started out really good but now it's become one of those "Go around to different people trying to hunt someone down" things and I don't really like seeing that for eight episodes. If that's all it's going to be I am not going to watch it. If anyone's sat through the whole thing, or even half of it, I would like your opinion~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    One Piece (Rich story, Oda really has a knack for writing. It's shounen but whatever, it's good. It's one of the few shounen animes I like.)
    My only issue with One piece is arcs are dragged out far to long, in both the anime and the manga.

10+ Year Old Account
    So as I continue to put together my MAL page I was going down the list for M and got to MoonPhase and that reminded me of this:

And now I have Neko Mimi Mode stuck in my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice to see people interested in anime..It's all I do some weeks. I've probably seen over 50 series. Going to list my favorite top 3, then just kinda randomly name off ones that I really liked.

Speed Grapher (Action/bit of suspense, probably my favorite anime of all time)

Louie the Rune Soldier (Older anime, but it cracks me sooo much. I honestly thought I wouldn't like it)

Maburaho (One of the few romance animes I can admit I like)

Chobits (See above)

Kaze no Stigma (It got such bad reviews but I really liked it..Mostly action-based)

Gantz (Probably bloodiest anime i've ever seen. I really enjoyed it, although it was really short-paced some episodes. I actually went on to read the manga, I don't do that much)

Deadman Wonderland (Another bloody one, but I was pretty consumed into the plot)

Has anyone ever seen the anime "Monster"? It has like 80 episodes but...I watched up to episode 12 and just got kind of sick of it...It started out really good but now it's become one of those "Go around to different people trying to hunt someone down" things and I don't really like seeing that for eight episodes. If that's all it's going to be I am not going to watch it. If anyone's sat through the whole thing, or even half of it, I would like your opinion~
    HOLY FUCK ANOTHER RUNE SOLDIER FAN. And yeah i enjoyed what i saw of monster.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 11:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    So as I continue to put together my MAL page I was going down the list for M and got to MoonPhase and that reminded me of this:

And now I have Neko Mimi Mode stuck in my head.
    Reminds me of when i tried that old manga shooter free MMO there was a person named Nekomimimode on it. Also yeah it was in reference to that song/series.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 11:53 AM ----------

Or maybe you just need a mind that can handle it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally finished that silly MAL list. Only took me like two weeks cause I am super lazy.

Deleted
    Don't think my one is exactly up to date either. Might have forgotten some series from way back when i was little.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know how the quote thing works on the sig? Does it just give you any random quote from the database or only ones from series on your list? I am guessing any random one cause I had one from a series I had never heard of so I took that part off.

Deleted
    Must be random.The current one for me is from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, its as plan to watch in my list. Even tough i have not seen it yet it already shows up. Or it could be that the quote system doesn't look at the status of the shows in your list.

The quotes are random assortment. The Chobis are the ones you blacklisted/whitelisted. Offtopic I love how I started a sig trend now I am not unique >.<

I tried watching it the other day and the first episode had nothing to hook me on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Or maybe you just need a mind that can handle it.
    I'm with Karloz on this one.

There's a fine line between using a style to make a point and overdoing it. LAIN delves heavily into the surreal/train-of-thought approach, using it as a sort of visual allegory for the "unreality" of our world and drawing parallels with the digital world. Okay that's great, in that regard it serves its purpose well. However, beyond this it just got overbearing and in the end I felt it masked the show's lack of content. The story wasn't bad, but it was dressed up in so many layers and mixed in with so much pseudo-philosophical commentary that it came off as pretentiously over-artistic. They hardly explain why anything happens, there's no "ah hah!" moment in the end that causes the jumble of imagery to coalesce, and an unholy amount of screen time was filled with shots of humming power lines/empty streets/Lain's eyeballs in extreme closeup.

If I missed something I'd like to hear it, but that's what I gathered from the show. Or perhaps my mind is incapable of handling it as well.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 07:55 AM ----------

I finished Monster. It was alright. I ended up watching it as a filler between other series because trying to watch it all at once did get boring. I admired the level of research and detail went into it, and they do a good job of giving you a sense of what it's like to look for a single guy in a whole country. However, you're right that it is REALLY long. The cast of characters is gigantic and you can't tell when somebody is going to disappear next episode or become integral to the story (which, again, I think is to highlight what doing this would be like). It probably would have been better if the series has lost about 30 episodes and focused a bit more.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2011-09-16 at 02:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you guys help me out with something? I'm looking for an anime I watched mooonths ago but can't remember the name of it.

It's about a guy who comes to a magical school, he and the rest of the newbies have to talk to a little fairy/demon/thing and he'll predict their future job. Everyone gets jobs they are interested in and then bam, it says he's going to become the devil/demon lord. During the show you get to see his hard work of getting accepted, he doesn't want to become a demon lord, he wants to be the new pope. Soomething along those lines. Oh, and I think it's ecchi.

Thank you!
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Can you guys help me out with something? I'm looking for an anime I watched mooonths ago but can't remember the name of it.

It's about a guy who comes to a magical school, he and the rest of the newbies have to talk to a little fairy/demon/thing and he'll predict their future job.

Thank you!
    Knew it here. Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou or Demon King Daimou(US release name) one of my personal favs and i've already seen it like 3-4 times LOL.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 02:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post

There's a fine line between using a style to make a point and overdoing it. LAIN delves heavily into the surreal/train-of-thought approach, using it as a sort of visual allegory for the "unreality" of our world and drawing parallels with the digital world. Okay that's great, in that regard it serves its purpose well. However, beyond this it just got overbearing and in the end I felt it masked the show's lack of content. The story wasn't bad, but it was dressed up in so many layers and mixed in with so much pseudo-philosophical commentary that it came off as pretentiously over-artistic. They hardly explain why anything happens, there's no "ah hah!" moment in the end that causes the jumble of imagery to coalesce, and an unholy amount of screen time was filled with shots of humming power lines/empty streets/Lain's eyeballs in extreme closeup.

If I missed something I'd like to hear it, but that's what I gathered from the show. Or perhaps my mind is incapable of handling it as well.
    Well i've been told i have a mind that sees connections where there are none by some. I've also been told i think to much and overthink everything. So that could be some of it. Also could be the same thing that make it so supposedly mind fuck inducing shows just register as sane/pseudo normal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post

If I missed something I'd like to hear it, but that's what I gathered from the show. Or perhaps my mind is incapable of handling it as well. [COLOR="red"]
    Yep pretty much this and recycling scenes not to mention the animation... during the NGE boom i used to hear a lot about lain like some ppl saying hey ya gotta watch it its totally mindfuckin just like human instrumentality project... but neh thats just pretentious not to mention that if you know just a bit about computers and networks some of what they say its just sillier anyway im not saying its completely bad sometimes i get interested but most of the times im forcing myself to endure the random sequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Knew it here. Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou or Demon King Daimou(US release name) one of my personal favs and i've already seen it like 3-4 times LOL.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 02:56 PM ----------

Well i've been told i have a mind that sees connections where there are none by some. I've also been told i think to much and overthink everything. So that could be some of it. Also could be the same thing that make it so supposedly mind fuck inducing shows just register as sane/pseudo normal to me.
    then how come you hate NGE?

Also Fuck you japan you better have a 2nd season for Usagi Drop ready to be aired soon! why you do this whyyyyy!

I really just enjoyed Lain for what it was. I wouldn't call it the best anime ever, but I did like it more than others.

Deleted
    Sort of the same here i guess. I just finished watching the Haruhi series. Ok it was a fun series to see and watch but, i dont get the hype around it.