Help with H LK p3

Hey,

I know it's lame and kinda outdated but after being stuck in H LK 25m our guild fell apart and we recently started a 10m guild and pushing HLK.

After a night of good attempts we managed to push to the last phase.

My question is: We do pretty well in the first 2 phases however the third phase is a little bit of problem. We can't seem to survive in the Frostmourne Room. We did survive a couple of times and then the vile spirits caused problems and wiped us. Any tips and suggestions on surviving the frostmourne room and the spirits?

Here's my raid composition (I know it's a horrible composition btw):

Druid tank
    Warrior tank
    Fury Warrior
    Combat Rogue
    Shadow Priest
    MM Hunter
    Enhancement Shaman
    Ele / Resto Shaman (We used him as ele but we can go with heals as well)
    Disc Priest
    Holy Paladin

Would appreciate any kind of help that will help us get the kill

Soak the vile spirits when you come out have a hunter set a frost trap to set btwn the soaker and the raid. Frostmourne room needs to be done as a group. Check out a vid on youtube for a visual example but you basically mark one smart person to avoid the bombs and everyone follows. I'm replying assuming you have some general knowledge of a phase three strat but can elaborate if needed.

The best tip I can give you is to 3 heal the entire thing; it's boring to bits before p3, but it'll help considerably in p3. We do this with a soaker against the spirits (whom we always manage to lose), after which we always spread out when outside Frostmourne to spread out the damage.

Allright I agree on you with the 3 healers since I dont think we have any dps problems.

About soaking the spirits.. Whom would you suggest? the tank, the holy pally or the shadow priest?

And also, our hunter is for some reason assigned on the valks during p2 and I think that it's a huge dps loss on the LK, I know it's not exactly a dps race but considering the mechanics of the combat, the sooner the better. Shouldnt it be better if our off-tank occasionally taunts the valks while they are up?

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We did this with 3 heals and 2 tanks. In the Frostmourne room, we had me marked to be followed (since I'm the holy pally, my heals are not as valuable as the disc or the tree) and left those two to heal the Frostmourne room, while I navigated the bombs and had everyone else follow. I sniped people with HS/WoG when I could, but I don't think I could have been very effective if I'd been assigned to primary healing in Frostmourne. The absolute millisecond that you get out, SPREAD OUT FOR DEFILE! Make sure your tank pops a cooldown/have external cooldowns applied just before the Frostmourne phase ends to make it easier. For a while we had issues with the tank dying as soon as we got out of the Frostmourne room (phasing issues largely) so having everyone do their cooldown thing just before you get out of the room solved that for us.

Good luck! We had our warrior off-tank soaking vile spirits in phase 3 with a pally main tank (but your druid should be fine).
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2010-11-22 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by selo000 View Post
    Allright I agree on you with the 3 healers since I dont think we have any dps problems.

About soaking the spirits.. Whom would you suggest? the tank, the holy pally or the shadow priest?

And also, our hunter is for some reason assigned on the valks during p2 and I think that it's a huge dps loss on the LK, I know it's not exactly a dps race but considering the mechanics of the combat, the sooner the better. Shouldnt it be better if our off-tank occasionally taunts the valks while they are up?
    The off tank should absolutely be taunting the valks overhead. There is no reason for the hunter to be staying on them, you are totally right that that it is a big and fairly needless DPS loss.

As for surviving the Frostmourne room, you need a smart person (tanks work best) who can confidently lead the raid on a safe route through the bombs. The raid MUST STACK tightly against this person, while the ranged DPS constantly kill the low-health spirits floating about inside. The person to follow should be marked right away. Nobody should be afraid to use healthstones or defensive cooldowns if their health dips. The moment the room event ends, everybody should immedietely spread north or south to drop defile, while the tank brings Lich King to the opposite side that the spirits were originally spawned, giving a clear path for the off tank or shadow priest or holy pally to soak them.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Make sure your tank pops a cooldown/have external cooldowns applied just before the Frostmourne phase ends to make it easier. For a while we had issues with the tank dying as soon as we got out of the Frostmourne room (phasing issues largely) so having everyone do their cooldown thing just before you get out of the room solved that for us.

Good luck! We had our warrior off-tank soaking vile spirits in phase 3 with a pally main tank (but your druid should be fine).
    Yeah, we've learned it the hard way when our tank got basically raped as we got out and were spreading for defile

So I guess I'll suggest off-tank taunting the valks while they are up and will listen to your suggestions regarding movement inside the room and outside the room while spirits are up.

we mark a tank (the bear) and stack on it. easy to find.

tell your disc that after everyone is shielded and pom is bouncing around holy nova is his friend.

/fixed.

oh and get everyone topped off before harvest soul and pref shielded, also as soon as you port out spread out becasue def inc. good luck.

15+ Year Old Account
    As you come out of the 2nd Winter phase, you need to make sure you have a maximum of two raging spirits up (or 3 if the 3rd one is on very low health). You need to get down to just one eventually so your OT can be soaker for the spirits.

Fully DOT up the one on lowest health just before you go in to Frostmourne. In Frostmourne, start by grouping in the middle and then mark up someone who knows what they are doing in there and get everyone else to stick to them like glue.

2 seconds before you leave there, tanks pop cooldowns. Tank LK up and wait for spirits to spawn, then drag him to the other side of the platform. Try to drop a frost trap or something (e.g. earthbind totem) in the middle. All group up so LK is between you and incoming spirits. In the meantime, keep your melee nuking down the 2nd Raging Spirit (and DOT it up too if you can). Your MT or shadow priest should be able to soak the first lot of spirits as long as they use CDs. Watch out for defile too.

Once you are left with only one Raging Spirit, all dps can switch to LK. Your OT should be able to soak the next set of spirits with CDs.

You can zerg the encounter now a bit - during first winter phase, put some ranged dps on the LK. You can knock off ~10% of his health. Melee should be enough to get the spirits down. In the 2nd phase though you need to do as much damage to them as possible so you only have 2 going in to the last phase.

Best time for heroism/bloodlust is during first winter phase and it will be back up again for the final zerg from ~20%