Blue Screen O' Death.

Hello, computer sorcerers! So I recently reformatted my Windows XP machine, and reinstalled everything. I have all of the Microsoft Updates, and all drivers (at least, I'm pretty sure they are...), etc are up to date. Now, when I launch "Game Maker" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Maker), it will load my project, but when it completes the loading, and launches the window for my game, I get a BSOD (I'm using version 8.1 Lite of Game Maker, if it matters).

Game Maker required me to download Microsoft .NET libraries, so I'm guessing that's a culprit, but I'm not too familiar with BSOD's. I do get a message when I get a BSOD, but I was never quick about writing it down, so after I post this, I'll try to write it down.

The file launched perfectly well before the reformat, so I'm pretty certain it's a driver issue or something, but I figure I'd ask here because, well, y'all are more knowledgeable about this stuff. BSOD = driver issue/hardware issue, unless I'm mistaken, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have a file in the C:\> Windows > Minidump folder with the extention .dmp that you can use in conjunction with a BSOD diagnosis application to pin-point what caused the error exactly. There are a miriad of them out there.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    ... a BSOD diagnosis application to pin-point what caused the error exactly.
    Mind suggesting such a program? I've never heard of one before. ...booting up my old compy to find the dump file right now.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Mind suggesting such a program? I've never heard of one before. ...booting up my old compy to find the dump file right now.
    You can also just look up the event viewer and find the bsod stop code.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    Damnit I had a program that loads and analyzes the dump files for you, but I've forgotten the name! I'm gonna google a bit and see if i can find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    You can also just look up the event viewer and find the bsod stop code.
    So, I guess I wasn't clear enough about this: I have zero experience with Dump files, and anything technical stemming from BSOD's. Mind clarifying, Sephiracle? I have the .dmp file in front of me, now I'm looking for a way to read it. Googling as we speak.

Edit: The file is "Mini040512-01.dmp", 88KBs large, not sure if the file size matters, thought the more information, the better.

Second edit: I just installed and ran my first video game on this reinstall -- it launched and is playable, full-screen, without a BSOD...hmm...

Third edit: I just decided to recreate the problem and write the message. I got "Page fault in nonpaged area"...what that means, I'm not to sure. Interestingly enough, it crashes from any and all executables from within Game Maker, but doesn't seem to have that problem in other applications, such as Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 (Amazing game, btw. =p).

Thanks for the help so far guys.
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2012-04-10 at 04:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've not used many 9I've only ever used 1 even) so I can't recommend such a program from much personal experience, but there are some that are used in youtube videos that seem pretty straight-forward.

http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/dow...view_setup.exe

The youtube video showing you how that blue screen viewer works is; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hWJ6wh5AW8

The program won't fix the problem for you, but it will arm people in threads like these with the first bit of information generally needed to track down what is causing you trouble. You can google it yourself even and try and solve the puzzle with the info! A problem is just a challenge you haven't overcome yet
    Last edited by Theodon; 2012-04-10 at 05:36 AM.
    My Brand!

Right-click My Computer to open System Properties window, then go to Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery section and press Settings button to open Startup and Recovery window. In the System failure section, uncheck Automatically restart option and save your settings.

This way your computer will not restart when the BSOD shows up and you have a chance to study it.

Write down the STOP code, the one that looks like this:

STOP: 0x#### (0x####, 0x####, 0x####, 0x####) Error Name

Also write down any specific information that is presented to you.

Then post it here and look it up on google.

Here's a helpful link: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...th-stop-codes/

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    snip
    I did what you said, and wrote down all the information that looked useful.

"Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area"
    "***stop: 0x00000050(0xE4415000, 0x00000000,0x8053B952, 0x00000001)"

Is there more information I missed?

Edit: Found an informative article:

Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Possible Resolutions:

• If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the hardware manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

• Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If the file name is listed, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. If not, disable the recently installed service or application to determine if this resolves the error. If this does not resolve the problem, contact the hardware manufacturer for updates. Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools. If an updated driver is not available, attempt to use a driver from a similar device in the same family. For example, if printing to a Model 1100C printer causes Stop 0x50 errors, using a printer driver meant for a Model 1100A or Model 1000 might temporarily resolve the problem.
    I haven't touched my RAM or anything, the only things I've done recently is using a new Anti-Virus (Symantec to currently Avast!), and reformatting my computer.
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2012-04-10 at 07:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    <snip>
    I haven't touched my RAM or anything, the only things I've done recently is using a new Anti-Virus (Symantec to currently Avast!), and reformatting my computer.
    It may well be the new anti-virus hating the application you are using that causes the BSOD then, if the information you've gathered is on the mark;
    The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.
    It might be worth checking out if anyone else has had a problem with Avast! causing a BSOD using that particular, or similar, applications. At least it seems to exclude the hardware portion of the possible causes if it only happens with your specific application.
    My Brand!

So I completely uninstalled my Anti-Virus, still got the BSOD.

After that, I installed BlueScreenView, and got some information (image is big, so here's the link):

http://i.imgur.com/uExxT.jpg

Hmm, guess it is a driver issue after all. >.>

Edit: Reinstalled some drivers, and FIXED IT! Love you all! I really don't know why I didn't do that sooner... /facepalm
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2012-04-12 at 04:40 AM.

Glad you got it fixed!