10+ Year Old Account
    Does overclocking really make that big of a difference? I figure if you're not going to use it, it'd be wasted energy & heat
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    Does overclocking really make that big of a difference? I figure if you're not going to use it, it'd be wasted energy & heat
    No one can answer that for you without knowing what it is you intend to do with your computer.

Overclocking an i5-2500K from say, 3300MHz to 4500MHz, have a real and quite tangible effect on FPS in raids and similiar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    No one can answer that for you without knowing what it is you intend to do with your computer.

Overclocking an i5-2500K from say, 3300MHz to 4500MHz, have a real and quite tangible effect on FPS in raids and similiar.
    Only MMO in my future is GW2, otherwise BF3, Skyrim, Deus Ex 3 & Older games.

I also like to record using FRAPS
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    Only MMO in my future is GW2, otherwise BF3, Skyrim, Deus Ex 3 & Older games.

I also like to record using FRAPS
    Overclocking will give you more performance; but if you're already capping out at 60fps, more performance is wasted. If not, it's a free way for extra smoothness and/or higher settings.
    It does help with other applications as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    FRAPS is more limited by drive write speeds than anything. BF3, being a Battlefield series game, will likely see immense benefit from overclocking like the previous games have done. I saw 30-40 FPS increase by going from stock to having everything on my rig overclocked to the absolute max ("Balls to the wall"). Ah yes, BF3 beta in a few weeks (or days if they decide to push ahead massively) so we'll be able to see how much difference OC'ing makes.
    I hope you'll be the first to report back

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    And you best OC that CPU!!!
    That's my weekend project I want to run it for a day or two without OC just to get a feel for her first.

too late to post specs but this does me and i aint changing it

Original Image: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/30/p5030126z.jpg/

[User has received an infraction for an oversized image. - Cilraaz]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-08-26 at 03:11 AM.

Not really a "gaming rig" but I got back from class to find something had arrived for me. My HTPC/NAS parts got here

(still need to take the spare Spinpoint F3 out of my gaming rig so I can throw it in this machine)

...and here's the crappy PSU I'll be powering it with. It's a low power build so I'm not all that worried about it (famous last words >_>) I tested it earlier, and its fan ticks pretty badly, so I'll either have to get another fan to replace it (...and hopefully not discharge a capacitor in the process... I like not being dead.) or get a new PSU altogether

I'll have to throw this thing together on Saturday since it's my next day off.
    (I know my room's kind of a mess, deal with it )

Also, BF3 beta?? /jumps around like a dog about to get fed dinner

Here's hoping it's truly a public beta as they've stated, and not some "public but only if you've got an invite" beta

When i got my 2600K, i found that getting to 4.3 saw a nice increase in performance overall, while above that it wasn't so noticable. Of course, every chip and system will vary, so yours might see more benefit from being clocked higher, but likewise might reach it's "performance high" at a clock speed below my 4.3. Anything above your own systems high is moving into showoff territory and generally used for benchmarks more than day to day gaming.

Of course, it's always a shame when you don't push your rig as far as you feel comfortable to do so. Even at stock though, the system you've got is a real good balance, with the GPU's and CPU being pretty equal to each other.
    Cool, thanks for the advice! I'll post here with post-OC benchmarks when I'm done!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with synthaxx on this one as well, even if im sitting on a beast arse rig atm getting an M10 (im going for M9, can still quad + revodrive or sound card +1 slot)

synth u waiting for the new gpu's/cpus?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They do an M9? I've not read about that, although if it's true, it'll just be M8+1 slot. I do know they're doing an 82mm case top for the M10, which is currently unreleased. That'll be handy for those with 60mm rads hoping for pushpull - for me though, i'll just settle with running it all inside the case, perhaps the pull exhaust fans on the outside. Being it's got 12 drive bays and 10x5.25" additional "flex bays", and with a special adapter i can fit 40 SSD's in the flex bays, and then another 24 SSD's in the other bays. Of course, some bays will be dedicated to fan controllers, reservoir, and existing arrays, but the rest are free for whatever i want.

I'm only really looking forward to Ivy Bridge. LGA2011 may be a consideration, but at the moment, it's still too mysterious to even consider, whereas Ivybridge should just drop right in to my existing rig, so no need for new CPU block or mounting.
    When I think LGA 2011 I think Synthaxx. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

When I think LGA 2011 I think Synthaxx. :P
    When I think LGA 2011 I think MOAR COARS!!!!!...and then I remember that more cores isn't necessarily a performance increase for games, and enjoy my 2500k (although I am anxiously awaiting BF3's release to see how well it performs on > 4 cores (including Hyperthreaded ones given the rumors that came out during the Alpha tests)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    When I think LGA 2011 I think MOAR COARS!!!!!...and then I remember that more cores isn't necessarily a performance increase for games, and enjoy my 2500k (although I am anxiously awaiting BF3's release to see how well it performs on > 4 cores (including Hyperthreaded ones given the rumors that came out during the Alpha tests)
    Imagine F@H on the top socket 2011 CPU..... >_>
    "A flower.

Imagine F@H on the top socket 2011 CPU..... >_>
    The i7 overclocked to 5GHz or a Dual-Xeon setup with both at 4.5GHz?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    The i7 overclocked to 5GHz or a Dual-Xeon setup with both at 4.5GHz?
    Considering Xeons are a bit old now.... compared to the i7-3awesome CPU.... >_>

Though two Xeon CPUs.... that sounds hot too.... oh Ispano!!
    "A flower.

I think he means dual LGA 2011 based Xeons (they are making those too right? I'm not just making assumptions?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering Xeons are a bit old now.... compared to the i7-3awesome CPU.... >_>

Though two Xeon CPUs.... that sounds hot too.... oh Ispano!!
    Xeons old? There are sandy bridge based xeons, nehalem xeons, etc.

They are meant to be the professional choice over i7, and have added benefits such as being able to work in a dual CPU board (EVGA SR2 comes to mind, but lots of pro-boards out there too) due to having dual QPI.

SB 1155 xeons can't be in dual cpu configs though afaik, it will be feature for Sandy E 2011.

Of course a xeon based on netburst will suck in comparison to an i7 of today.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-08-26 at 02:24 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    I think he means dual LGA 2011 based Xeons (they are making those too right? I'm not just making assumptions?)
    Last I heard, there will be. But there are sooooo many rumors about LGA 2011 that it's not even funny to speculate anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Really? I didn't agree with anything in the entire build. Possibly the RAM, and if I would stretch it, possibly the motherboard and OS. Rest I wouldn't touch. Including the avatar; that was just confusing.
    Seriously? Who wouldn't touch that avatar.

To be honest though, hardly glanced at the specs. Enthusiastically thinking it probably aint the strongest one but looks are golden Don't have an especial need to criticise what others do with their money; just wanted to express my opinion about the fine looks and unique feel of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdunka View Post
    Thanks, although I can't take much of the credit. I cleaned it up a bit when it arrived as I had to add a few things, but the real reason is because this case is HUGE! There is plenty of room in there.
    How in the world did you fit 3 fans on the top exhaust ports (or at least I use them for exhaust)? I got 1 (that came with the case) up there. I can't fit a second because of the USB 3.0 connectors for the front panel, much less a third.

P.S. Assuming this is the CM HAF X and not an exact replica.