Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    FYI this is nothing new. A lot of legitimate gaming laptops have dual graphics cards, they just tend to cost a pretty rough price.
    And are 1. heavy, 2. battery life stinks, 3. hot

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    And are 1. heavy, 2. battery life stinks, 3. hot
    Yes yes and yes! Dual GT 770Ms also didn't seem to provide that much of a 'boost' and you're forced into being plugged in for the cards to run (at least for the Lenovo line)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    The glass on the left is what you'd drink brandy out of (cognac being a type of brandy, sort of like how champagne is a wine, and scotch is a whisky, it gets a special name based on where it's made). Ordinarily you'd warm a snifter with hot water from the kettle, select your liquor, then dump the water out and pour your drink. The water warms the glass which in turn causes the liquid to evaporate and making it easier to pick out flavors when you drink. The shape of the glass holds in the alcohol / water vapour which carry aromatics making them easier to smell--smell being about 90% of taste. You'll also see people drinking the glass by "cupping" the bottom of the glass with their hands rather than holding it like a champagne flute. The reason you'd do that is so that your hand keeps the liquid warmer and helps it to evaporate - again improving and intensifying the flavour.

Bonus round: if you pour a glass of brandy then lay the snifter on it's side the liquid should be right to the edge without spilling. Their design makes it easy to know if you're being ripped off (given that even something mid-tier like Remy XO sells for ~$15-20 in a bar, and a higher end drink like Hennessy Paradis will be about ~$150 per glass, that's a useful feature).

The glass on the right is called a 'lowball' or 'old fashioned' glass and is what you'd typically drink whisky, bourbon, etc. from. I've had scotch at maybe 2 or 3 dozen upscale bars around the world and it's always served in that style glass. A few companies have tried to make "whisky glasses" over the years but Glencairn is the only one to get any type real traction among scotch snobs. You see it at tasting events -- though you'll get all sorts of crazy glasses at those -- and rarely anywhere else. The only time I can recall receiving scotch in a snifter is at a hotel bar, the Fairmont chain is bad for that; which is a bit of a personal shame. It's not unheard of but at least in Western Europe, Canada, and Southern and East Coast USA it would be unusual to receive receive whisky in anything else unless it was a chain restaurant where the staff just doesn't know any better (the kind of place that serves whisky with ice in the glass)
    This was quite a nice and informative read, thank you very much!

On topic, I have just received my package from FrozenCPU and I've started unboxing stuff I will post pictures later tonight or sometime tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

Moved again (4th time since first posting in this thread). Here is the new setup from here in the UK.

Last edited by Sweetleader; 2014-03-14 at 07:49 PM.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason the mx239 is so cheap is because they took out vesa support, dvi, and display port. It is certainly a very nice monitor. As for Dell... idk. I've seen some of them in person at micro center and they just look.... well, dull. Flat. :-|
    Well, this one is literally new. U2414H (14 being that nice year number). Review wise it is probably the better AH-IPS low range I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetleader View Post
    Moved again (4th time since first posting in this thread). Here is the new setup from here in the UK.
    That one black wire that seems like it has some tension for some reason is bothering me, >.>

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Well, this one is literally new. U2414H (14 being that nice year number). Review wise it is probably the better AH-IPS low range I've seen.
    That one black wire that seems like it has some tension for some reason is bothering me, >.>
    Yeah, I think that was one I saw, as I was just in the store back in January and I remember them having new ones. I also saw the 27" and 30" versions.

The ASUS just seemed more vibrant in comparison in person, and a bit brighter too.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

My step-up transformer cable >.>. I readjusted it so it's on the floor a bit.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Anyone else seen the new Corsair 760T? It's NDA for the moment so no specs, but it's definitely got the style; http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...t_first_look/1

For a few minutes I seriously considered replacing my 750T with this, only for the looks, but I think my parents would have a fit if I bought yet another computer case (I have a habit of not getting rid of old ones - still got my Gun Metal Antec P180/P182 in the cupboard, admittedly still one of my favourite designs but wholly unsuitable for modern systems)

Looks to much like an aquarium to me, not a fan. Not one of those good aquariums either, the cheap ones with the white plastic on the top, you know the ones I'm talking about :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I think that was one I saw, as I was just in the store back in January and I remember them having new ones. I also saw the 27" and 30" versions.

The ASUS just seemed more vibrant in comparison in person, and a bit brighter too.
    There is no 2014 out for 27in / 30in.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm
    Granted brightness comes to personal preference.

I've been here long enough. I figured I might as well post my setup.

Desk is an Ikea Fredrik, mini fridge is full of soda, pc specs are in my signature.

:::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Very tidy stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    On the upsides;
    - Hit any potential thief with that and they're done for
    The backplate on my K90 will split somebody's skull for much less

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Very tidy stuff there.
    Thank you. Not going to lie and act like I didn't have to clean up a little. This is exactly how I like it thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys make me feel like I should tidy up my place, >.>

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    I've been here long enough. I figured I might as well post my setup.

Desk is an Ikea Fredrik, mini fridge is full of soda, pc specs are in my signature.

http://i.imgur.com/zBw4KEw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vVsJpFJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tv5tK2M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gXoHDau.jpg
    What sort of fan is that white one?
    Looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    What sort of fan is that white one?
    Looks awesome.
    Its just a cheap one I picked up from amazon. I don't remember the model, but its one of their $20 box fans.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no 2014 out for 27in / 30in.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm
    Granted brightness comes to personal preference.
    Then they had a U2414H and the 2713 and 3013 or whatever. I don't know, fact is I wasn't a big fan. :P Plus, for the money, this MX239H can't really be beat. Plus it's too late to return it, but I am pretty happy anyways!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Then they had a U2414H and the 2713 and 3013 or whatever. I don't know, fact is I wasn't a big fan. :P Plus, for the money, this MX239H can't really be beat. Plus it's too late to return it, but I am pretty happy anyways!
    I think it all comes down to the anti-glare coating on the Dell's. I experienced this first handed when I temporarily used my brothers cheap really really entry level Acer ISP (acer h236 iirc) next to my Dell U2412M. When looking at the same pictures on both screens next to each other you could dell that the Dell loses some clarity on small details and the text making them look tiny bit muddy. On the contrast the Acer's colours were just wrong on some points but it probably wasn't calibrated as good out of the box. This shows perfectly well how it's probably not the most important thing to have perfect colour reproduction on your screen when you're just a regular home user. It matters more how you like the end result which you can see with your own eyes instead of something that you get no use of. As long as your screen produces picture that looks close enough to what it should that you can't say there's anything obviously wrong with the colours you should be fine as long as you don't have anything better to compare it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetleader View Post
    Ithink i spotted an e-smoker :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    *snip* It matters more how you like the end result which you can see with your own eyes instead of something that you get no use of. As long as your screen produces picture that looks close enough to what it should that you can't say there's anything obviously wrong with the colours you should be fine as long as you don't have anything better to compare it to.
    This is a good reason why, personally, I would try and buy the same monitor (if you like it the first time enough) for the 2nd and 3rd monitor of your setup. I personally bought the Asus VE228H 21.5" monitor for the build I'm on right now and like it well enough I will probably buy another one here shortly.