Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah by now firmware is out for most any X99 motherboards, if they didn't support 16GB DIMMs before, they do now.

Like, I know with a BIOS flash I could support them on mine, however at the moment I really have no need and the computer runs flawlessly, so I'm happy with it as is. :P Plus, 16GB DIMMs are still waaaayyyy too much for me to even consider them atm.
    Still very odd choices though; server cpu and 128gb ram, but two Ti's /headscratch.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Still very odd choices though; server cpu and 128gb ram, but two Ti's /headscratch.
    I have a feeling he doesn't know that the i7s do in fact support 128GB of RAM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I have a feeling he doesn't know that the i7s do in fact support 128GB of RAM.
    So, before I bought the CPU, I called Intel and asked them if the 5960X supported 128GB+ of RAM. They flat out said No. I asked MSI directly, how much PSU I needed for 2x 980TI, they said at least 1200W+

Now, Why do I need 128GB of RAM? #1, this is also my work computer. Not saying I need nearly that much, but having multiple instances of various applications open is a daily occurrence. Also, I am planning on playing with some DIMMDrive things, just for shits and giggles.

Why the Xeon? From what I have seen in benchmarking there is almost no difference in performance to the 5930k for gaming. The Xeon does get the nod however for multi process operations (But this is more fiction anyway). I am actually surprised to see so many here thinking that for the same CPU clock, Xeon's and Cores are that much different.

Plus, I have more virtualization options(utilities) on chip.. so, when this machine gets older, I can split it up and run two machines out of it, instead of one. (Yes you can do that with an i7 too.. So different they are!, haha)

The Xeon had listed memory support of more than 128GB RAM, the i7 did not.
    The both work the same. Except I can run ECC Mem (I am not, but i totally could) and have a few more on chip security/virtualization/reliability tid-bits

AVX vs SSE..AVX is better anyway

AND... they were the same price.

I am finding it hard to come up with any quantifiable knocks to the Xeon, in this case :/

Also, the AX1500i was basically free to me (gifted)

Thanks to Rivellana for an awesome signature

10+ Year Old Account
    Knocks for or against the Xeon, do you mean?
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Linus just posted semi-relevant video regarding the topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXOaCkbt4lI

2 Xeons and 7 R9 Nano's - Total power draw at the wall = 1530 watts

So you sure have some room for an upgrade down the line! ;D

Also, holy fuck that crossfire bridge water block connector is sexy.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2016-01-04 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Linus just posted semi-relevant video regarding the topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXOaCkbt4lI

2 Xeons and 7 R9 Nano's - Total power draw at the wall = 1530 watts

So you sure have some room for an upgrade down the line! ;D

Also, holy fuck that crossfire bridge is sexy.
    That's a water block connector, not a crossfire bridge

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    That's a water block connector, not a crossfire bridge
    Paraphrasing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    So I built a new machine in the past 2 weeks I call it the Red Dragon as everything is Red and Black and MSI has it's dragons all over stuff.
    CPU: Intel I5 6600k
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H75
    Motherboard: MSI z170a Gaming M5 Motherboard
    Memory: Gskill Ripsaws 16GB 2300 DDR4
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Video Card: MSI Nvidia 980 ti Gaming 6g
    Case: INWIN 805 Red
    Power Supply: EVGA 650 g
    pile of components

Finished build

Another before closing it up
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2016-01-04 at 05:01 AM.

Deleted
    Uh, why a Xeon? Also, why a 1500 watt PSU? =S
    Yeah I just watched Linus's video on running 2 x CPU, 7 x R9 Nano, all liquid cooled, powering 7 games in one and all from a single EVGA 1600W T2 ;D

My computer now features a re-installed Windows 10, after the "reset windows" button fucked the OS up so badly that the computer refused to go further than passing POST. More info in computer chat thread.

In other news, I mapped the optical drive in my dad's laptop to my desktop, so I don't have to go to my brother's room if I need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Goonygoon View Post
    So, before I bought the CPU, I called Intel and asked them if the 5960X supported 128GB+ of RAM. They flat out said No. I asked MSI directly, how much PSU I needed for 2x 980TI, they said at least 1200W+

Now, Why do I need 128GB of RAM? #1, this is also my work computer. Not saying I need nearly that much, but having multiple instances of various applications open is a daily occurrence. Also, I am planning on playing with some DIMMDrive things, just for shits and giggles.

Why the Xeon? From what I have seen in benchmarking there is almost no difference in performance to the 5930k for gaming. The Xeon does get the nod however for multi process operations (But this is more fiction anyway). I am actually surprised to see so many here thinking that for the same CPU clock, Xeon's and Cores are that much different.

Plus, I have more virtualization options(utilities) on chip.. so, when this machine gets older, I can split it up and run two machines out of it, instead of one. (Yes you can do that with an i7 too.. So different they are!, haha)

The Xeon had listed memory support of more than 128GB RAM, the i7 did not.
    The both work the same. Except I can run ECC Mem (I am not, but i totally could) and have a few more on chip security/virtualization/reliability tid-bits

AVX vs SSE..AVX is better anyway

AND... they were the same price.

I am finding it hard to come up with any quantifiable knocks to the Xeon, in this case :/

Also, the AX1500i was basically free to me (gifted)
    The PSU is overkill, but since it was gifted to you, that doesn't really matter. As for the supported memory bandwidth by the i7, heck if Intel didn't know, I don't feel bad I didn't either. I still don't see the advantage of a Xeon unless you plan to run multiple VMs or basically use all server features it comes with. I'd personally be more interested in being able to OC my cpu.

As for 128gb of memory, running multiple applications doesn't really justify a memory bandwidth of server proportions - it really seems useless. Nor does ECC compatibility. I mean, why would you be interested in that if you're not running a 24/7 server?

To make a long story short; your pc isn't bad in any way. It seems though, it's composed with 'wrong' criteria in mind; how to spend as much money as possible, rather than how to make the best machine possible for your goals. That said, I don't know your goals other than what you explained and that's exactly what I'm basing this reply on.

128GB of RAM is only really going to be properly utilized by a massive database server. I mean, I could have GTA5, Cities Skylines, WoW, Diablo 3 and Firefox with many tabs open simultaneously and not hit a RAM ceiling with 32GB.

Deleted
    My rig:

CPU: i7 4930K
    Cooling: Corsair H110
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Videocard: GTX 780 SLI (3-way)
    HDD/SSD: 2x Samsung 840 pro 128GB
    2x Samsung 850 256Gb (Raid 0 OS)
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
    WD Blue 500GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
    Powersupply: EVGA Supernova G2 1300
    Monitor: X-STAR DP2710 2560x1440 @ 110Hz
    Second monitor: 1920x1080 @60Hz
    Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 with Fiio E11K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    128GB of RAM is only really going to be properly utilized by a massive database server. I mean, I could have GTA5, Cities Skylines, WoW, Diablo 3 and Firefox with many tabs open simultaneously and not hit a RAM ceiling with 32GB.
    Change that to Google Chrome and all you need is Chrome with many tabs open to hit a RAM ceiling.

Hell, right now the only major program I have open other than Chrome is Corel VideoStudio X8 and Steam.

Not working on anything in either of those, and what is my RAM usage at?

13.6GB.

Add on some more tabs and we can push up there.
    "A flower.

Change that to Google Chrome and all you need is Chrome with many tabs open to hit a RAM ceiling.

Hell, right now the only major program I have open other than Chrome is Corel VideoStudio X8 and Steam.

Not working on anything in either of those, and what is my RAM usage at?

13.6GB.

Add on some more tabs and we can push up there.
    5.1GB. Steam, notepad++, outlook, skype, battle.net, Microsoft Word, Firefox with 32 tabs, hipchat open. Another 5GB of "cached" stuff though.

I updated my Rig a little bit:

http://imgur.com/HOnNvvz

changed the PSU to a Corsair RM750i
    changed the case to a Thermaltake Core P5
    bigger reservoir
    added cablemod Black/Orange cables
    Orange Mayhems Dye (which I wouldn't have bought if I had known what an asshole the CEO of Mayhems is)

the two grey Vardar fans have no use other than occupying the free space below the radiator.

Next thing I'll need to change is the Radiator. I want a 480 rad with 4x LTT Fans^^

Deleted
    @Karon i am not a fan of open cases cause you will need to work the duster every day . Are you going to keep it on the floor or up on the desk against the wall? It will be terrible at the floor for sure. Other than that setup looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    @Karon i am not a fan of open cases cause you will need to work the duster every day . Are you going to keep it on the floor or up on the desk against the wall? It will be terrible at the floor for sure. Other than that setup looks nice.
    I'll probably mount it on the backside of my ceiling mounted screen.
    Yeah the dust will be a pain in the ass over time. I'll dust it once a week because the amount of dust that gathers over a week isn't too much^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Oof, @Karon, I wish I could see that in person! :9
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    The PSU is overkill, but since it was gifted to you, that doesn't really matter. As for the supported memory bandwidth by the i7, heck if Intel didn't know, I don't feel bad I didn't either. I still don't see the advantage of a Xeon unless you plan to run multiple VMs or basically use all server features it comes with. I'd personally be more interested in being able to OC my cpu.

As for 128gb of memory, running multiple applications doesn't really justify a memory bandwidth of server proportions - it really seems useless. Nor does ECC compatibility. I mean, why would you be interested in that if you're not running a 24/7 server?

To make a long story short; your pc isn't bad in any way. It seems though, it's composed with 'wrong' criteria in mind; how to spend as much money as possible, rather than how to make the best machine possible for your goals. That said, I don't know your goals other than what you explained and that's exactly what I'm basing this reply on.
    I do plan on doing some VM play, as well as streaming. I am also going to DIMM-Drive my current game into RAM, and see how that runs. I don't buy computer parts for 'Now'. I over build, and the computer should last a good long while and be able to handle whatever a developer can throw at it in 5 years. This is also my work computer and while I don't necessarily do anything crazy, I have the bandwidth to do whatever I want with it.

I may VM a file server out of this machine, or do a dual system from one box. The 128GB of RAM was really the least of the options that I went with. It didn't cost me that much more, and I get to play with DIMM-Drive, and just generally dick around.

It was a fun build, I got to teach someone about building a computer, and I spent a bunch of money. I had fun.

Thanks to Rivellana for an awesome signature