Ended up watching The Flashpoint Paradox. 8/10

It's a pretty good movie. Though I've never seen the comic it was based on, from what I've seen, they usually remain true to the source material. But it is a delightful change of pace from what they usually have. And it really does make me want to see more movies revolving around different DC heroes other than Batman's, "Badass Action," and Superman's, "Look at me show off."

There were a few issues here and there, ones that I'm not sure are fleshed out more in the comic, but they really aren't glaring in anyway. But, though it might sound odd, there is one thing I had to scratch my head over. There is a scene where Wonder Woman ends up killing a kid. The kid is actually dead, with the sound of sword stabbing flesh and everything. The movie itself is violent in a sensible sense, nothing over the top and what you'd expect from the "realistic" sense of the world that they are put in. But... the scene is one of those cliche, point the shot to the hero to show his reaction to the death, rather than actually show it. While I know it was a kid being killed, is it really still not okay to show something as simple as that for a movie meant for older viewers?

Other than that, I did like the movie. Really makes me want more involving other heroes. Also, Superman is barely in it, at all, and that's a HUGE plus for me.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

The Wolverine 9/10

For me this film was great, I've been a Wolverine fan since I was a kid and for whatever reason when they do Wolverine in Japan it just works. At the core it felt like a movie about Wolverine, which Origins failed at. Some odd issues here and there aside it was still fun and worth the price of admission. As was said above, this plus X-Men First Class gives me hope for the Days of Future Past movie.

The Wolverine 8.5/10. Fantastic movie. Super heroes, robotic samurai, ninjas, and hot chicks with katanas. How could you go wrong with that combo?

Now the next movie I'm looking forward to and my most highly anticipated of the year is coming out this Friday. Elysium. I see this being my favorite of the year by a landslide. I watched District 9 again this weekend to get pumped up for it. Neill Blomkamp's visceral, gritty tributes to the raw sci-fi classics of the 80's makes me downright giddy. This man is gonna be a treat to watch in the years ahead. I hope Elysium maintains the momentum from District 9 and takes it to the next level. Can't effin wait.

Flashpoint Paradox 7/10

I typically don't watch animated movies like this. And Flashpoint Paradox is the reason why....it just doesn't seem to have a solid narrative throughout the entire movie. It kind of replaces a narrative with "what-ifs" and gore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalang View Post
    I was actually kind of disappointed with the Conjuring. The reviews were very good, but what I saw was pretty cliche. Everything was predictable and the acting really wasn't all that great. Also witches don't worship satan and the church will perform exorcisms (albeit they barely do anymore) whether you are baptized or not. And the light pushy religious frou frou quotes didn't help matters either.

There was one point where the mother was alone with the kids and she wandered into the basement and my friend said the only thing that could redeem this movie at this point is if she died and the kids were left alone because that hasn't been done before. Of course it didn't happen. Sigh hah.

My friend thought the movie was far worse than I did though. I'd give it a C-. He said it would of been a movie if he were watching alone would of walked out on.
    I can agree with most of what you said, but I did enjoy the jump scares and a lot of the very creep moments ( like being in that damn basement alone.) I usually go to horror movies to just be creeped out and scared. I tend not to look to deep into them.

On topic:

Rosemary's Baby. 9/10 this will always be a classic, and one of the best horror movies / movies in general for me. If you have not seen this you should!

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Pac Rim, 9/10. Felt too short at times, and dragged on at others. Not enough robot fights >.> And no kissy kiss at the end, blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I was actually happy about that, haha. I thought it would've been sooo cheesy and forced. But that's just me.
    Regarding Pacific Rim? I actually have to agree with this. Too much Hollywood is caught up in the idea that "OMG THE GUY HAS TO KISS THE GIRL AT THE END AND COLLECT HIS PRIZE" and this time, just having them hold eachother and be happy to be alive was more than enough here. It really just worked for the scene.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2013-08-04 at 08:48 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Pacific Rim

If taken seriously as a hollywood mainstream big budget blockbuster movie 3/10. Cliche`, cheesy, poorly written and poorly acted.

If viewed as a live action anime 9/10! Big bad arse robots fighting aliens is awesome! and the filler stuff in between doesn't even matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

10+ Year Old Account
    Wolverine - 7.5/10
    2 Guns - 8.5/10

The Way, Way Back
    This is a funny and heartfelt coming-of-age story that really ended up getting to me. The movie, although it has a familiar plot, succeeds with great performances, direction, and it never strays from the realism that it immerses you in. This movie was a pleasant surprise in a summer filled with loud, explosive movies and it honestly helped remind me of what some of my favorite movies are like, things that reflect reality and provide something that not only entertains you, but shows you something meaningful and reflective on different aspects of life.

The movie goes along a typical coming-of-age path of a boy, Duncan (played by Liam James), going with his mother and her jerk of boyfriend (Steve Carell) to his summer home, and the opening scene from Steve Carell is done so well and probably one of the best scenes I have seen in a movie so far this year. Speaking of Steve Carell he gives such a different performance from what you are used to seeing of him and does it so well, there are parts of his character that just seem menacing (in a realistic sort of way) and even more so when you can think of a person in your life who is just like Carell's character and people in the same situation as Duncan, and you can't help but feel sorry for him after just the first scene.

During the movie Duncan meets Sam Rockwell's character, Owen, and that is where the plot picks up and you see how Duncan's life is affected by one guy who has sympathy, and heart to try and help in his own character's kind of way. By the way, Sam Rockwell is also excellent in the movie (as was Liam James who was a child/teen actor who could hold his own weight) and delivers the life and charm to it, without him the movie would go from a bitter-sweet comedy to something depressing and no where near as good. Watching Sam Rockwell's character work with James' was great and delivered some of the best parts of the movie (as did the scenes between Carell and James, but in a completely different kind of way).

There is also Annasophia Robb's character who also does a great job in the movie, and what I like is how they dealt with the character (who is a sort-of a romantic interest) in the end, it helped to stray away from the norm and something that you may have been predicting.

This entire movie could have been extremely cheesy and bad with the given plotline, but instead it makes something funny, heartfelt, and special. Although there were a couple small parts of the movie that I wasn't huge on they were only small, the performances were great and real, and the movie did a great job at taking a familiar formula and making it work nearly perfectly. I have seen a lot of movies this year and this is the second one that got a real emotional reaction out of me. I'll go real high for this and give a 9.4/10

And now on a different note, here is another movie that wasn't quite as good.

R.I.P.D
    I just wrote a nice long review for The Way, Way Back and I am tired, but I will say this. After being dragged to this mess with a friend I can say the title perfectly describes how bad this movie is. Not the worst of the year (You can be entertained by it actually)., but still it's bad and besides Jeff Bridge's performance, there is nothing worth seeing in the movie. 4/10 (It gets four for Jeff Bridges being Jeff Bridges, and a couple other parts that almost worked)

The Conjuring
    This is probably the first legitimately scary movie I have seen this year, and despite being formulaic, it does so well. It keeps you on board the entire way and actually tries to give you true chills instead of make you jump from a sudden loud noise or gag because something is so bloody you can hardly stand it.

The performances were done well enough to keep you on board and the movies is paced exactly how it should be for a movie like this to work. It is a unique example of a well-made horror film, and you don't see that often. 8.3/10
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-08-05 at 03:36 AM.

Deleted
    The Conjuring

4/10

As with all the movies of this sorts it cannot be entertaining unless you are pretty easily entertained, it's impossible, when making such a movie you either drag the suspense for too long and it gets boring or you show the monster/demon/ghost/chupacabra and loose all interest.
    All the characters are dumb: -The mother gets bruises while sleeping and keeps her cool about it.
    -The Warren dude knows his wife fell into the basement but keeps talking to a wall just so his wife can figure out what the witch plans to do.
    -The Warren woman is a supposed expert in demons and stuff yet leaves her brooch with her daughters picture in the basement, real life people notice when something that big is missing.
    -The cop sees a unknown person in the house yet decides he must investigate on his own.

Theres a scene where a goblin or whatever jumps from the closet on one of the girls and never appears again, what was the point of that? At the end the only thing they take for their collection is the music box yet there are more objects seen on the rafter behind the wall + who on earth keeps a bunch of cursed/possessed stuff in their own house with no lock on the door...Best parents of the year award goes to...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baekhyun View Post
    Oblivion 6/10
    The special effects were good and it was well made, but the story was very boring with nothing really exciting happening. Worth the watch if you're bored with nothing better to do, but it's not something I'd ever recommend.
    Imo all the new Tom Cruise movies should just be named Tom Cruise, as that is exactly what you get. Tom Cruise in yet the same Tom Cruise shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshain View Post
    The Conjuring

4/10

As with all the movies of this sorts it cannot be entertaining unless you are pretty easily entertained, it's impossible, when making such a movie you either drag the suspense for too long and it gets boring or you show the monster/demon/ghost/chupacabra and loose all interest.
    All the characters are dumb: -The mother gets bruises while sleeping and keeps her cool about it.
    -The Warren dude knows his wife fell into the basement but keeps talking to a wall just so his wife can figure out what the witch plans to do.
    -The Warren woman is a supposed expert in demons and stuff yet leaves her brooch with her daughters picture in the basement, real life people notice when something that big is missing.
    -The cop sees a unknown person in the house yet decides he must investigate on his own.

Theres a scene where a goblin or whatever jumps from the closet on one of the girls and never appears again, what was the point of that? At the end the only thing they take for their collection is the music box yet there are more objects seen on the rafter behind the wall + who on earth keeps a bunch of cursed/possessed stuff in their own house with no lock on the door...Best parents of the year award goes to...
    I agree with all of this, although because I found that the film was so good at building suspense and tension and was genuinely scary, that I didn't realise most of the things you mentioned until me and the missus were driving back and discussing it.

Deleted
    Only God Forgives.

10/10

Perfect.

Europa Report

A solid 7/10

Kinda like Blair Witch meets Sunshine. Decent enough movie but just didn't have enough gravitas at certain points to really capture the mood. And when people start dying, the actors are all like robots.

Pacific Rim

7/10

Started out feeling like it was a bad mad for TV movie, but after the introduction part it got better and was fairly entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't know if I've seen anything since Monsters University... I'd give it like an 8/10 I really enjoyed it, saw it twice, and thought it wasn't just a crappy sequel. I enjoyed the throwbacks to older college films as well as the many stereotypes of people I see around the University of Georgia. Fun movie and I enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Heat (Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy)
    10/10

Awesome movie. Hilarious scenes and you're not bored for a sec!

10+ Year Old Account
    End of Watch....um 1/10. It was utter shit...honestly.

The last good movie I saw? Oblivion was an easy 9/10, maybe 8/10. But I really liked it. I don't care what anyone says about Tom Cruise. He can be as crazy as he wants in his spare time, as long as he is still an awesome actor I'm okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    End of Watch....um 1/10. It was utter shit...honestly.

The last good movie I saw? Oblivion was an easy 9/10, maybe 8/10. But I really liked it. I don't care what anyone says about Tom Cruise. He can be as crazy as he wants in his spare time, as long as he is still an awesome actor I'm okay with it.
    I actually really liked End of Watch when I saw it.

Fruitvale Station
    I wasn't overly familiar with what happened to Oscar Grant 4 years ago at New Years but that didn't stop this movie from having the immense impact that it did, it is honestly a movie that everybody should see not just because of well made it is but because of its relevance to society today.

The movie opens with real video footage of the tragedy that happened to Oscar Grant by the BART police officers at Oakland, but it isn't until much later into the movie (where it flashes back to the movie's shot footage, of Michael B. Jordan's portrayal, of Grant a day before the incident) that the emotional impact of it truly sets it. And while I am mentioning, Michael B. Jordan, I should say that his performance was outstanding the best acting performance I have seen this year and it really shows a star in the making with Jordan. He displayed immense control with his performance and it was completely realistic and believable. Also, Ryan Coogler's take on Oscar Grant as a director was fantastic in that it neither glorified him nor condemned him but showed him as he was, a man with a troubled past, a hard life, who was trying in what ways he could to turn his life around from the flaws of his past. The relationships portrayed were done spot on and it was almost as if they were able to get pieces of the actual day and put it onto the screen.

Fruitvale Station is a must see because of how relevant the entire story is to today and how much can be actually learned from it. It displays the abuse of power, and how much injustice is dealt because of not only our flawed systems but because of who we decide to give authoritative power to and how much trust we put into people with little actual knowledge with what they are doing. The ending was explosive and impactful dealing also with how much prejudice is actually still common in our society today and problem that all to often ignore. You see the hope of a man trying to make himself better for his family and you see how senseless violence shatters hope and how it often ends in complete injustice. I highly encourage everybody to see it because it really opens your eyes to how impactful tragedies really are and how in all these tragedies you have to remember it isn't just a face on a news page, it isn't just a random supposed street thug or an angel who did nothing wrong but a man with faults but many good qualities and hope that not only beset the faults but overtake them which shows just how tragic these tragedies really are. I am happy to say, Fruitvale Station gets the first 10/10 from me for 2013.