Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    Desolation of Smaug
    8/10
    The last Hobbit film at least made an effort to make the reason for splitting it into 3 films make sense and give some form of a story limited to that particular film that has a beginning and some closure at the end. Desolation of Smaug on the other hand just acts like the middle of a story that was cut out of a script and then filmed and released. The ending in particular was almost like a big middle finger that said, "See you next year". The only reason I give the film above a 5 is because the actors did very well, the music was as always for these recent Tolkien based films, fantastic, and the cinematography was really good. The story was piss poor, they could have at least tried to make it so it wasn't left on an awfully placed cliff hanger, a worse cliff hanger than the quite literal cliff hanger of the last film.
    So basically you're angry at cliffhangers?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    So basically you're angry at cliffhangers?
    I just got home from watching it in the theater and to be fair the movie felt like they rushed through some parts just so they could get to Smaug, only to leave him for the next movie.

Umm...I don't know. Maybe the most-recent Jame Bond movie, I don't even remember what it's called. I would have given that a decent 7/10, coming from someone who has only seen 2 full Bond movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Wolverine 4/10

Huge Marvel and X-Men fan, but this movie I didn't like at all. I got bored halfway through and didn't even bother to watch the ending. The worst Marvel film I've ever seen.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 10/10

I'm a huge Tolkien fan. I used to read the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit once a year for almost a decade and I think Peter Jackson has done a great job with all the movies so far, so I really liked it. I also agree that it's a lot better than the first one, even if I loved that one too. The Hobbit + LOTR 24h marathon in 2 years time? Hell yes!

Prisoners 8.5/10

I really enjoyed it. It felt very real and it was a lot better than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    I don't care about your review or what paid reviewers has to say, the movie was amazing.
    Okay, that's fine, it's your opinion.

But when I posted my review with my rating I got a bunch of people jump at me for having a, "Disgusting opinion," etc.

I'm happy to respect the fact that other people liked it if they can accept that some people (like me) had some major problems with it and didn't fall in love with it for being placed in Middle Earth and a Peter Jackson movie.

Deleted
    Chronicle

This movie, this movie just totally surpassed my expectations. You have no idea, I loved this movie, so, so much. The whole plot was pretty damn amazing and I felt really connected to the events during the last part of the movie, which were pretty intense to me. Just very beautiful movie.

10/10

And oh, I forgot to mention that Alex Russel is so hot. (that had to be said!)

Edit: Seriously, this movie just really surpassed my expectations. I'm in fucking awe still.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-12-21 at 05:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Chronicle

This movie, this movie just totally surpassed my expectations. You have no idea, I loved this movie, so, so much. The whole plot was pretty damn amazing and I felt really connected to the events during the last part of the movie, which were pretty intense to me. Just very beautiful movie.

10/10

And oh, I forgot to mention that Alex Russel is so hot. (that had to be said!)
    Checked my logs:

Chronicle (IMDB 7.2) - 5.5/10.
    Teenage angst + one-dimensional characters + super powers + total lack of moral responsibility + total lack of intelligence = extremely annoying characters.

The film ended the way anyone would expect given the premise and it was a very happy ending to a long misery, imo. It just highly unfortunate the WAY it took to get there.

I believe I rated it higher than average by half a point because it started well and the documentary style camera work was initially engaging (though that tends to put a lot of people off due to so many films like Blairwitch or Cloverfield).

I also note that since I watched it, IMDB's rating for it has decreased to 7.0.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-12-21 at 06:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Okay, that's fine, it's your opinion.

But when I posted my review with my rating I got a bunch of people jump at me for having a, "Disgusting opinion," etc.
    Well thats the downside of giving honest reviews. The paradox of the metier is that the rants often are the most interesting to read.
    And i have to agree with you on a fundamental level. I think Desolation is a entertaining movie - Smaug is worth the ticket price alone. But it is extremely disrespectful what PJ does.

"They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully. "And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film." This was said by Tolkien`s son in one of his rare interviews.
    I can only imagine Peter Jackson clearing his throat and going "but eh, the Hobbit wont be...oh yea, thats right. We actual took it a step further". Knowing that The Hobbit hardly has a single scene which isnt twisted, altered or at least re-interpreted.
    It does raise the question which you did in your review. Why is Peter Jackson that eager to pedict a story he apparently think is all wrong? Is it about the franchise and guaranteed sold tickets? Should have thought at this point that he has plenty of money. Is it about being big in the industry? Sustaining his position among the fab 3 - Spielberg, Lucas and Jackson. I hope not - it is hard not to like the barefooted man you see in his liveblogs and would like to think that he still works for the media.

I was disappointed when it was revealed that Del Toro wouldnt be directing The Hobbit. And more so now. I think he could have done interesting things with WETA at his disposal and most likely a script closer to the original (how could it not be).

I will still give the movie 7.5/10 because it is a entertaining movie with lots of spectacular scenes. There is alot of great acting(but also many genre cliches) and the cgi is cutting edge. But the movie should have been labeled - "based off Tolkiens The Hobbit".
    I hope this havent frightened the Tolkien family for future permits - and that maybe they will allow Hurins Children being filmed. Or maybe a new (Animated?) version of The Hobbit. With a enchanted and strange Mirkwood, a Rivendell you never want to leave behind and a general atmosphere saturated with adventure, danger and mystery.

Out of the Furnaces. 7/10. Really strong characters - but weak plot. Damn, Woody Harrelson can play one mean redneck.
    Last edited by mmoc20f115c1ec; 2013-12-21 at 06:28 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Checked my logs:

Chronicle (IMDB 7.2) - 5.5/10.
    Teenage angst + one-dimensional characters + super powers + total lack of moral responsibility + total lack of intelligence = extremely annoying characters.

The film ended the way anyone would expect given the premise and it was a very happy ending to a long misery, imo. It just highly unfortunate the WAY it took to get there.

I believe I rated it higher than average by half a point because it started well and the documentary style camera work was initially engaging (though that tends to put a lot of people off due to so many films like Blairwitch or Cloverfield).

I also note that since I watched it, IMDB's rating for it has decreased to 7.0.
    Well, this was my first time watching, so I'm not surprised I'm rating it higher. I went to watch Cloverfield on the cinema and I was totally in the world, I was pretty much shaking(yes, I was really shaking, but not that much) through out the whole movie as if I was actually in it lol. Most intense feeling I've had when watching a movie. Gravity also made me feel quite surprised and in awe, as these other two films.

If I were to watch them again, which I think I would, at least Gravity and Cloverfield, I certainly wouldn't rate them again with a 10/10 since I would be paying attention to details more and wouldn't' be as submerged on the world as I was before thus rendering my bias a little.

I don't know to be honest. I guess I was just really surprised because I was expecting Chronicle to be a super hero movie and no it wasn't, and it bite me in the ass, in a positive way since I had such a good feeling towards the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEater View Post
    I just got home from watching it in the theater and to be fair the movie felt like they rushed through some parts just so they could get to Smaug, only to leave him for the next movie.
    EE fixes rushing, the fact that a 2 hour 40 minutes movie felt rushed in places is quite impressive somehow.

And if you think about it, it really makes a lot of sense not to kill Smaug off before the last movie, many people thinks of him as the plot of the movie, killing him, and even if they hinted at more to come after his death, silly people would still be like "well y'know, now Smaug is dead, so what the hell do you have three hours more of?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Well thats the downside of giving honest reviews. The paradox of the metier is that the rants often are the most interesting to read.
    And i have to agree with you on a fundamental level. I think Desolation is a entertaining movie - Smaug is worth the ticket price alone. But it is extremely disrespectful what PJ does.

"They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully. "And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film." This was said by Tolkien`s son in one of his rare interviews.
    I can only imagine Peter Jackson clearing his throat and going "but eh, the Hobbit wont be...oh yea, thats right. We actual took it a step further". Knowing that The Hobbit hardly has a single scene which isnt twisted, altered or at least re-interpreted.
    It does raise the question which you did in your review. Why is Peter Jackson that eager to pedict a story he apparently think is all wrong? Is it about the franchise and guaranteed sold tickets? Should have thought at this point that he has plenty of money. Is it about being big in the industry? Sustaining his position among the fab 3 - Spielberg, Lucas and Jackson. I hope not - it is hard not to like the barefooted man you see in his liveblogs and would like to think that he still works for the media.

I was disappointed when it was revealed that Del Toro wouldnt be directing The Hobbit. And more so now. I think he could have done interesting things with WETA at his disposal and most likely a script closer to the original (how could it not be).

I will still give the movie 7.5/10 because it is a entertaining movie with lots of spectacular scenes. There is alot of great acting(but also many genre cliches) and the cgi is cutting edge. But the movie should have been labeled - "based off Tolkiens The Hobbit".
    I hope this havent frightened the Tolkien family for future permits - and that maybe they will allow Hurins Children being filmed. Or maybe a new (Animated?) version of The Hobbit. With a enchanted and strange Mirkwood, a Rivendell you never want to leave behind and a general atmosphere saturated with adventure, danger and mystery.
    I really don't see the Hobbit material in Del Toro. The guy has done Pan's Labyrinth, Hell Boy, and Pacific Rim. None of these strikes me as Hobbitish stuff. Getting the guy that made LOTR to make The Hobbit is my favored choice honestly.

And I really think people are making PJ much more twisted and money-grabbing than he is. Ultimately, I wanted more Middle Earth and LOTR movie stuff, The Hobbit gave it to me, I think they're awesome, they're pretty unique movies, I don't get that kind of action or that kind of fantasy anywhere else these days. The Hobbit is an awesome fairy tale, but besides these iconic scenes, there's not a lot of it I want to be the same way as it was in the book for the big screen. What Tolkien Junior said about LOTR being more actiony is something I liked and think works much better for the big screen, since action is cool on the big screen, and action in books is usually pretty bad. I just don't see the kind of "tone and poetic attitude" in the books would work in movies, which is fine, because good stories uses their medium's strengths and advantages. Mimicking the book would really just mean we have a movie that is worse than the book. Do we really want the same exact story twice?
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-12-21 at 12:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonridor View Post
    Taxi Driver (1976) - 7,5/10

people act like this is a masterpiece! haha
    Taxi Driver is definitely a masterpiece

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    The Wolverine 4/10

Huge Marvel and X-Men fan, but this movie I didn't like at all. I got bored halfway through and didn't even bother to watch the ending. The worst Marvel film I've ever seen.
    Woah wait...
    You liked The last stand?
    I wish I was more like you, so I didn't have to cry myself to sleep after that horrible movie. That being said I did not like The Wolverine NEARLY as much as many other reviews seem to do. The twist was kind of terrible and ... bwah... the movie just wasn't too interesting. Wolverine just is not an interesting character in the least. He is cool, but I want to watch a movie where he interacts with other, more interesting, stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Why would you go see a fantasy movie with hobbits and dragons and guys who change into bears and also expect plausible action?
    Oh Beorn was in the movie too? I actually think that sequence lasted longer in the 300 page Hobbit book than in the movie. The pacing was definitely off.
    I did not like much of the Smaug fight either. The scene where he doesn't notice the dwarfs was actually cool, but the parts with minecarts, golds and playing "taunt ping-pong" with him wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonridor View Post
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) - 6,5/10
    Thank goodness it's not bad. The trailers just make me so incredibly happy

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post

Out of the Furnaces. 7/10. Really strong characters - but weak plot. Damn, Woody Harrelson can play one mean redneck.
    I agree with you, although I couldn't give it a positive score just because of how much of a connection I've had with the book since I was little.

Anchorman 2, I'd probably give it a 8/10. Still funny like the first one, even though you can tell they were a little high on their horse because they knew everyone would go see an Anchorman sequel. I would have given it a 7.5 but the amount of amazing cameos in this movie bumped it up a notch.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Extended Edition)

As someone who views the extended editions of LOTR the ONLY versions of those movies worth watching, I was really excited to get my hands on this, and finally did so after seeing its sequel in theaters. Admittedly, very little is cut back into the movie, as compared to the three LOTR movies, but most of it is great development for the Dwarves. Plus, Goblin Town is extended, which is my favorite song in the book, and favorite sequence in the movie. 10/10, go watch it. Bravo!

I'm going to write my American Hustle review soon,

however since I probably won't be able to write a full review for this next movie (Due to it being Christmas week, and there being at least 3 more movies I intend to see this week which would get proper review priority due to being new releases) I will just write my brief opinion of it.

The Spectacular Now
    It has some great breakthrough performances and was really refreshing as a movie, it kind of was anti-coming of age story, it made you think it was going to follow the cliche messages of one only to make abrupt turns. There were some parts I found fairly predictable, but that is mostly just because of the genre, and the ending seemed very similar to Good Will Hunting, but overall it was a great joy and I loved the theme that carried through it. Definitely one of the gems from earlier this year that I missed out on.

9/10

American Hustle
    "American Hustle is a bustling ball of fun and thrill, and a mainstream film that is very refreshing to see in a cinema world that uses an abundance of CGI action to entertain their audience and American Hustle proves you don't need to explosions to be thrilling, you don't need gags to be funny, and you don't need an over the top, unique premise to be smart and original."
    Read more at
    http://thepandaflicksreviews.blogspo...le-review.html
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-12-22 at 07:04 AM.

Deleted
    Prisoners - 8/10.

Holds tension extremely well! Also, who knew Hugh Jackman could actually act?

It does not really have a core message or highly original, so I could not rate it any higher, but damn good film.

Deleted
    Frozen - 9/10 - I admit I didn't see the plot twist. Used with Disney movies having a main villan that is clear from the most 30 min in it came as a surprise. Music was nice, characters were awesome. Point removed for the little princess's way of choosing suitors and talking about both sides (won't spoil) as both stood for little with her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post

I really don't see the Hobbit material in Del Toro. The guy has done Pan's Labyrinth, Hell Boy, and Pacific Rim. None of these strikes me as Hobbitish stuff. Getting the guy that made LOTR to make The Hobbit is my favored choice honestly.

And I really think people are making PJ much more twisted and money-grabbing than he is. Ultimately, I wanted more Middle Earth and LOTR movie stuff, The Hobbit gave it to me, I think they're awesome, they're pretty unique movies, I don't get that kind of action or that kind of fantasy anywhere else these days. The Hobbit is an awesome fairy tale, but besides these iconic scenes, there's not a lot of it I want to be the same way as it was in the book for the big screen. What Tolkien Junior said about LOTR being more actiony is something I liked and think works much better for the big screen, since action is cool on the big screen, and action in books is usually pretty bad. I just don't see the kind of "tone and poetic attitude" in the books would work in movies, which is fine, because good stories uses their medium's strengths and advantages. Mimicking the book would really just mean we have a movie that is worse than the book. Do we really want the same exact story twice?
    The Del Toro version of The Hobbit was forming to be more of a fairy tale, a story about a world losing its innocence. With the usual visual influence from John Howe and Tolkien himself spiked up with some Mike Mignola and Shiflet bro`s. Ian Mcshane would have played a lead Dwarf. And Elfs would have been less arrogant and self important. Generally alot of potential improvement imo. He would have used next gen animatronics which i personally doubt would have been superior to modern cgi.
    I dont really think P.J is money grabbing - the man already sits on half a billion dollars, what would he do with even more. Power on the other hand have done the bad thing to many directors. You often see people in powerfull position shuffle their priorities. They starts to think in quantity instead of quality. And they surrounds themself with a court which approves of any action and laugh of the boss`bad jokes. I dont think it necessarily happened to P.J - as i said, he seems like a loveable fellow in his livefeeds. But the way he pretty much changed every scene in The Hobbit just raises some questions.( honestly - i think most fresh directors would be scared shitless of changing as much as a single scene in such a beloved piece of culture).
    I personally enjoy action on the screen as well. But i think it has to be meaningfull suspense triggered action. And i think the book have plenty of room for that kind of action - it happens again and again that the party is left in completely impossible situations from which they just barely escapes either because of Bilbo stepping up or from some unforseen event. The book is full of suspense and cliffhangers imo, which would work great on film. A reason to make it as close to the original as possible, could be for future generations. Kids today, dont read as many books as we did when we where kids. Their introduction to Tolkien is the movies - and it is a pity if they think Peter Jacksons The Hobbit actual is the same story their dad`s and his friends talk about with such passion and love.
    That said - i also have to be honest and admit that i enjoyed DoS and i look foreward to the final movie. But it is with humble wish that we might get another version of the book some day. Maybe a animated movie - watching Pixars Brave made me think that Middleearth could look amazing in full cgi.

Anchorman 2 - 7/10
    Not going to lie, I was pretty drunk when I went to see this. I remember laughing but thinking it wasn't anything special...........but most of these stupid comedies require more than one watching to really enjoy it.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 9/10
    Surprised I liked it so much, I feel the story was really strong and that ending gave me chills. Jennifer Lawrence did great!