3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

Sure, the reason why the machines used humans as what they used them is weak. (and I certainly don't feel like this movie needed sequels) - but they could have just made up anything else. The whole idea that we might just live in a simulation is fascinating and does come up again these days. But yeah...if martial arts and the premise ruin it for you, I can see that it takes a big chunk of enjoyment out of it (plus creepy) - which means a movie like Alien certainly wouldn't work for you either.
    I heard people say they could've just used cows instead, and have the Matrix just be a grassy field. I also think that the Simulated Reality theory is really interesting, as it's something I rarely thought about as a kid. Part if the reason why I watched it is because of the 'is this really real?' Philosophy standpoint, and because it's a cool movie that was released the year I was born (1999). I might watch the sequels since there's supposed to be a fourth one coming out, but my friend said the other two aren't worth watching

Oh and I've decided that I'm probably not going to watch anything Alien/Predator related, since those are some really creepy movies (to me at least) lol
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I heard people say they could've just used cows instead, and have the Matrix just be a grassy field. I also think that the Simulated Reality theory is really interesting, as it's something I rarely thought about as a kid. Part if the reason why I watched it is because of the 'is this really real?' Philosophy standpoint, and because it's a cool movie that was released the year I was born (1999). I might watch the sequels since there's supposed to be a fourth one coming out, but my friend said the other two aren't worth watching

Oh and I've decided that I'm probably not going to watch anything Alien/Predator related, since those are some really creepy movies (to me at least) lol
    The Matrix established itself as a classic movie because it encapsulates a big chunk of both western and eastern philosophy like existentialism, simulacrum theory, messianism, zenism etc, and transformed a dusty and ancient field of study into a sci-fi movie format for wide public consumption. It also used very cool innovative techniques like bullet time with multiple cameras.

It was simply way ahead of its time. Check out the Animatrix series that works as an anthology to the Matrix, it basically explains the origins and reasoning of the machines.

And for gods' sakes DO watch Alien 1/2 and Predator. If you like sci-fi, these are must-see.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    My Spy 0/10
    Terrible, unfunny product. Worthless.

Eurovision; The Story of Fire Saga 0/10
    Dreadful, painfully unfunny and about an hour and a half too long.

Artemis Fowl 0/10
    Terrible acting, writing and directing. VFX are trash and its boring too. Awful casting.
    Is My Spy really that bad? It looks bad, but I was hoping it'd be a 2 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The Matrix established itself as a classic movie because it encapsulates a big chunk of both western and eastern philosophy like existentialism, simulacrum theory, messianism, zenism etc, and transformed a dusty and ancient field of study into a sci-fi movie format for wide public consumption. It also used very cool innovative techniques like bullet time with multiple cameras.

It was simply way ahead of its time. Check out the Animatrix series that works as an anthology to the Matrix, it basically explains the origins and reasoning of the machines.

And for gods' sakes DO watch Alien 1/2 and Predator. If you like sci-fi, these are must-see.
    Matrix was one of those movies that I appreciate for the technical quality and advances to the industry more than the actual movie itself... Animatrix was neat, tho.

And yeah, everyone should see Alien and Predator in their lifetime, unless they absolutely hate that sorta stuff. Its a shame that almost every Predator movie since the original has been !@#$. I just love so much about the Predator material, but aside from a moment or general premise, the movies never deliver. It also goes on the pile of reboots that should never have been made.

15+ Year Old Account
    This horror movie called Crawl. It was actually really good, it knew what it was trying to be. One of those movies that has an empowered female lead, but you don't feel like politics is being shoved in your fucking face, it was well done and worked, decent enough story.

The movie relied heavily on setting and tension and the time sensitivity of a disastrous hurricane breaking levies and flooding, I think there was maybe one jump scare if any? The movie will FOR SURE make you feel uncomfortable and disgusted, loved it!

The Last Circus

If you liked Joaquim Phoenix's Joker, this Spanish horror/dark comedy from 2010 paved the way for mentally disturbing drama. It's raw, gritty, and somehow humorous in the most disturbing, human ways possible. It's like a no holds barred chess match between two circus clowns who love the same morally-corrupt woman, and every move takes them past the line of insanity, and then tramples all over the line, draws another, and crosses that one over. It's unlike anything I've seen before. Hot Fuzz, Joker, and Falling Down all rolled up into one fine mess of clown drama where the sex and violence is dialed all the way up to 11, and it's a beautifully grotesque masterpiece.

10/10
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2020-06-28 at 01:32 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Saw yesterday the last one of the Pirates of Caribbeans, and its worse than i remember, 3/10, terrible plot, many "mistakes" and no cohesion with past events

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinSum View Post
    Is My Spy really that bad? It looks bad, but I was hoping it'd be a 2 or something.
    I think so, yes. The film is purposeless. It's hackneyed "entertainment".

I think so, yes. The film is purposeless. It's hackneyed "entertainment".
    Well, that's why I'm interested in it. As a kid, I used to love terrible "family" movies where a popular athlete/big guy gets humiliated by small children but eventually wins them over.

I'm certain that genre is why I love Dwayne Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinSum View Post
    Well, that's why I'm interested in it. As a kid, I used to love terrible "family" movies where a popular athlete/big guy gets humiliated by small children but eventually wins them over.

I'm certain that genre is why I love Dwayne Johnson.
    It's not entirely that, actually. They make some weird, off-kilter, and somewhat dark choices for the characters. The advertising is a little misleading. There is no joyfulness in this film- which I would have been into myself. It's kinda just route. A lot of the setup and "jokes" are cliched things that are either underdelivered or not at all funny. And weirdly dated... like, did these people stop living after 2001?

The "twists" or the darker elements are kinda illogical too. They undermine the tone of other things about the film. Batista is a pretty good actor, and he is acting here.. as a PTSD dude with a somewhat grim demeanor.

This is not good. But it's relatively free if you have Prime, so def. see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The Last Circus 10/10
    On the basis of that, I had a quick look at the trailer.... I'm genuinely not sure I'd be able to get past the gore... but it looks beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    On the basis of that, I had a quick look at the trailer.... I'm genuinely not sure I'd be able to get past the gore... but it looks beautiful.
    The gore isn't as bad as you'd think, it certainly isn't the focus of the movie at all, and just a byproduct of the plot so it's hardly cringe-worthy if you can take most Rated R violence. It's not even as graphic as most American slasher films. There's some hitting to the face with a blunt object, and then burning and that's pretty much it.

I See You (2019) 6/10

It's ok for a horror movie. Imo it's trash but I can see people enjoying it. There is a decent plot-twist halfway through, but then it fizzles out. They tried to do 2 different horror genres at the same time with moderate success. The cinematography is painfully pretentious and the music terrible, tropey and blaring. The acting is adequate.

You Should Have Left (2020) 2/10

Objectively trash. Everything about it really. A 6yo girl having multiple unironic full blown philosophical conversations with Kevin Bacon was the cherry on top. Probably a rich man's hobby or money laundering scheme.

Climax
    9/10
    I've loved every Gaspar Noe movie I've seen so far. His cinematography really speaks to me, so I'm not surprised at all that I also loved this one. It actually surprises me it took me this long to watch it.

It's nearly as much of a frustrating movie to watch, as it is enjoyable. This movie managed to invoke so many feelings and so intensely, which was not only thanks to the cinematography but also the actors.

Apparently they were all dancers, not actors, and they filmed it in 2 weeks without a script. It makes sense though. This movie is basically one (incredibly elaborate) contemporary dance performance by the actors and the camera. It perfectly matches Gaspar's style, and I'm glad he caught on to this.

If you're interested in watching this movie, be sure that you have the motivation to commit to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Killing Gunther: 1/10 Documentary crew follows assassins! Painfully unfunny dumb action comedy, and the acting is so bad, but I did find the idea of one of the assassins having a doting ex-assassin parent who was their #1 fan mildly amusing. Bonus point for Hannah Simone being kinda hot, with that big ol dumpy booty stuffed into those tight lil jeans. Daddy like.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Episode IX)
    5/10
    I saw this movie a few weeks ago and it really disappointed me. I'm a big Star Wars fan, and was actually pretty stoked to see Palpatine back in action. Unfortunately, the whole movie was a shitshow that was easy on the eyes. Apparently you need to read some books to understand why Rey and Ben had healing powers, and I don't like that. It basically forced you to look at one of the key elements of the movie, while also knowing that Anakin set this entire story in motion by NOT being able to do that.

This movie was supposed to be the climax of a trilogy, and it only just brought forth more questions and hardly any closure.

I'm not too upset about this movie being a total failure, because the entire trilogy is a failure. I didn't like 7 and 8, and had low hopes for this one. Still, it stings to see a franchise you've loved for such a long time get done so dirty.

It's not entirely that, actually. They make some weird, off-kilter, and somewhat dark choices for the characters. The advertising is a little misleading. There is no joyfulness in this film- which I would have been into myself. It's kinda just route. A lot of the setup and "jokes" are cliched things that are either underdelivered or not at all funny. And weirdly dated... like, did these people stop living after 2001?

The "twists" or the darker elements are kinda illogical too. They undermine the tone of other things about the film. Batista is a pretty good actor, and he is acting here.. as a PTSD dude with a somewhat grim demeanor.

This is not good. But it's relatively free if you have Prime, so def. see for yourself.
    Oh, God. You weren't kidding. I wasn't expecting anything even vaguely like that. I mean, the predictable jokes they telegraph a mile away and easy stereotypes are exactly what I'd expect in a comedy like this.

Did it ever feel like the movie wanted to be rated higher? The amount of violence and serious moments the movie wants to have feels completely at odds with the fact this is also trying to be a family comedy.

Otherwise, it's right up my alley and I can see why you filed this under purposeless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lady Bird - 8/10.

I think it's one of Saoirse Ronan's better movies. A teen coming of age story set in the early 2000s, I liked the character development a lot and thought it was very well acted. It tackled real issues without falling into bad dialogue or typical teen tropes imo.

Burning - 9/10

A slow burning romance drama eventually turns into a crime thriller mystery. The pacing and the way the plot unfolds is masterful. The movie leaves a lot of unanswered questions intentionally, which I understand but it also drives me crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    Burning - 9/10

A slow burning romance drama eventually turns into a crime thriller mystery. The pacing and the way the plot unfolds is masterful. The movie leaves a lot of unanswered questions intentionally, which I understand but it also drives me crazy.
    Yes! Ambiguous endings can be frustrating, but I didn't mind it in this case. That deliberate pacing, with the occasional breadcrumb, made for a satisfying movie.

Game Over, Man!: 6/10 Die Hard with dumbasses, starring Workaholics. Unreasonably entertaining for how silly it is.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi