The Batman (7/10) - For the most part it was pretty good. Pattinson was a good Batman. I think they kind of underused Catwoman though.... I liked her...but she didn't feel essential to the story. And it kinda falls apart in the third act.

Riddler's "end game" is kinda lame. Like after all the riddles and misdirection... the big plan is to flood the city, force everyone into one area, and then have a bunch henchmen shoot everyone? And still get caught? Not exactly the work of a genius. And as far as endings go... that was anti-climatic to say the least.

For Catwoman... it just seemed like they didn't have enough for her to do. And almost everything she did could have been done by Bruce or Jim...even her big save at the end...Jim was also on his way up to help. Maybe there's some footage on the cutting room floor where she has more to do.

I do like that Batman eventually sees that it's not enough to be scary to bad guys... you have to also care about the people you are protecting. I also liked that they at least showed that, while he may not yet be "The World's Greatest Detective"... he's perceptive and at least somewhat trained in investigation. And everything he went through with the Riddler should be inspiration for him to get even better.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

5+ Year Old Account
    Moonfall (2/10) was going to be 1/10 but then they entered the moon n they sure did a good job in there, looked pretty cool, but that's it for the movie...

10+ Year Old Account
    Moonfall (4/10) Special effects were fun. Like poster above said, the inside of the moon looked fantastic. Would have scored lower but it has Halle Berry.

The Contractor 6/10 it was ok I guess, Wife was happy (Chris Pine with the lovely eyes)

You Won't Be Alone 9/10

Fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Bubble: 2/10 The movie's a turd, but it made me chuckle a few times, so I can't hate it too much. Waste of a good cast. My crush on Karen Gillan prevents me from being too harsh. It was good seeing Maria Bakalova again. Holy shit... is that Dennis Hopper's daughter? She was a gloomy delight!
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Metal Lords 9/10

It takes two hands to contain this much metal.
    \m/ \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Metal Lords 9/10

It takes two hands to contain this much metal.
    \m/ \m/
    I really disliked this movie. Lots of cliches and had no charm.

It didn't make sense either. The main character was like from another world and seemed like he wasn't familiar with that world either.

Why was he so into old metal? It's the 80s and early 90s metal I listen to, sure. But this movie was set in the modern-day. When he would be highly exposed to current ideas about metal, not just musically but philosophically. Like sure, he likes Priest and Halford, but no one reading, watching, or listening to Priest and Halford would be quizzical at Halford's queerness or Manowar. Or so staunchly anti-girl or anti-cello even.

Even if this guy was like a hardcore Toxic Holocaust/Warbringer guy, which he isn't because again he is listening to old metal, why would he be so hostile to the cello player? Why would he wear corpse paint?

You're telling me this guy is listening to the Bathory, Knig Demon, Behemoth, Immortal, or Taake but also hates cello and chicks? I find that hard to believe.

The movie felt like what a writer thought about metal and just applied it to a set caricature.

The movie got big groans from me as both a metal and film-loving chick.

Edit: Battle of fucking bands? Oh, come on. At least set the movie in the 80s if you are going that far.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-04-11 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I really disliked this movie. Lots of cliches and had no charm.

It didn't make sense either. The main character was like from another world and seemed like he wasn't familiar with that world either.

Why was he so into old metal? It's the 80s and early 90s metal I listen to, sure. But this movie was set in the modern-day. When he would be highly exposed to current ideas about metal, not just musically but philosophically. Like sure, he likes Priest and Halford, but no one reading, watching, or listening to Priest and Halford would be quizzical at Halford's queerness or Manowar. Or so staunchly anti-girl or anti-cello even.

Even if this guy was like a hardcore Toxic Holocaust/Warbringer guy, which he isn't because again he is listening to old metal, why would he be so hostile to the cello player? Why would he wear corpse paint?

You're telling me this guy is listening to the Bathory, Knig Demon, Behemoth, Immortal, or Taake but also hates cello and chicks? I find that hard to believe.

The movie felt like what a writer thought about metal and just applied it to a set caricature.

The movie got big groans from me as both a metal and film-loving chick.

Edit: Battle of fucking bands? Oh, come on. At least set the movie in the 80s if you are going that far.
    I chose to embrace the cliches. It’s an old school nerds vs jocks movie set in the modern age.

He has a shitty home life and questionable social skills. He found his hobby and is relentlessly committed to it. I try not to be shocked by what some people are into. For all I know he randomly found some old Sabbath when he was 12 and decided this should be his life. I like to think the first Iron Man movie created some fresh new Headbangers and they’re out there spreading the gospel.

Furthermore, he’s not anti girl or anti cello. He’s pro Skullfucker, the perfect metal power trio. Everything else exists outside that vision and deserves the same amount of scorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I chose to embrace the cliches. It’s an old school nerds vs jocks movie set in the modern age.

He has a shitty home life and questionable social skills. He found his hobby and is relentlessly committed to it. I try not to be shocked by what some people are into. For all I know he randomly found some old Sabbath when he was 12 and decided this should be his life. I like to think the first Iron Man movie created some fresh new Headbangers and they’re out there spreading the gospel.

Furthermore, he’s not anti girl or anti cello. He’s pro Skullfucker, the perfect metal power trio. Everything else exists outside that vision and deserves the same amount of scorn.
    Hm. You have some good points.

Watched one hour of Jupiter Ascending and dropped it. 1/10 garbage. Atrocious prologue with narration that sounds like a bored actress reading from a script with awful dialogue in the most monotonous way possible, with dull cinematography and acting and visuals. Watching a man smooching an ugly belly for 3 minutes isn't entertaining to watch. Heroine is utterly unlikeable, and the guy is boring. Even Sean Bean looks bored. The bad guy whispers so low I can't even hear what he's saying without subtitles, and no, whispering doesn't make you interesting. Michael Bay action scenes where you have minutes of just mindless action with bad cinematography with no sense of geography or tension. Bad 3D CGI. Why should I care about the setting when the movie's creators can't be bothered to show it to me? And I can already see that the plot is going to be "she saves the earth from Mr. Evil and decides not to rule over it", so *snore*. Couldn't recall any good music. I want my one hour of my life back. Writing this in the hope that future generations do not waste their time on this like I did.

If this really was done by the creators of the matrix, then I don't want to imagine how bad matrix 4 is.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-04-11 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Watched one hour of Jupiter Ascending and dropped it. 1/10 garbage.
    That chase scene in the beginning was worth a watch though.

If this really was done by the creators of the matrix, then I don't want to imagine how bad matrix 4 is.
    Well, the more they make movies, the more you understand The Matrix was probably a lucky shot.
    On my side I hated Jupiter Ascending the first time, but since then... I really enjoy it somehow. I love the overall cinematography in this movie, especially the ships/planets designs.
    I totally get why it's a sub-par movie for most people but I like it. You're right on the fact that the 3D sucks hard though.

I think what's definitely killed this movie at the time was indeed the fact they've hired two of the blandest actors of this millenia to be the main characters, and the rest seems uninterested in that movie in general. I found Eddie Redmayne to be okay near the end of the movie when he showed some great acting feats.

Watched one hour of Jupiter Ascending and dropped it. 1/10 garbage.
    This movie actively aggravates me. It's like someone set out to check off every bad cliché about SF movies and prove to the world why this genre can never be taken seriously (which isn't true at all, of course). At any turn where they have a chance to redeem something, they instead double down on awful. It's maddening.

Though I hear that it's got somewhat of a schlocky popularity among some female fans, who recognize it's terrible but more in an icecream-is-bad-for-you-but-sometimes-you-just-want-it kind of way. Which I guess is fair enough.

The Batman 8/10

Oh god, the World's Greatest Detective actually doing some detecting!

I also appreciated the idea that being a vengeance obsessed goon might be a bad idea.

All I See Is You - 7/10 This is a thriller, couples romance type of movie. I enjoy Blake Lively, I liked her shark movie there too. (The Shallows) To be fair. the actor and actress did great in this movie. It is about a blind woman who does surgery to regain her sight and the husband starts to unravel.

Speaking of actors/actresses I don't mind.. Michael Shannon movies helped me out with the pandemic. I am not entirely sure why this happened and what it is about him but, I like him as an actor.

10+ Year Old Account
    X: 8/10 There's a lot to like. Nails the 70s horror aesthetic. Solid cast. Decent story. A fine homage to some genre classics. Could've done without some unnecessary jump scares, but it's OK. Hope the prequel is of equal or better quality. Oh, I may have gagged at one point.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Choose or Die 6/10

I had a lot of fun watching this movie. Great gimmick despite it not making sense at points.

Both of todays are rewatches of things I've seen at least 5x in the past:

Trainspotting - 8/10 :
    As depressing as it is brilliant. Acting from everyone is on point, but Ewan McGregor is flat out amazing in this role. If I had to complain, it would be that the final "event" feels a bit rushed, but also way out of place for everyone involved.

Other than that, this is a fantastic film. If you haven't seen it, watch it (the typical warnings that there is some awful stuff portrayed). Skip the sequel, which isn't awful, but this movie absolutely did not call for it.

Glengarry Glen Ross - 9/10 : This really is one of my favorite flicks of all time. Lemmon and Pacino rule the entire movie (Spacey is probably the weakest link in this film), and the pacing is fantastic.

On a side note, I was in Manhattan while this was on Broadway (with Alan Alda), and will forever kick myself for not bothering to get tickets.