Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    its been 4 days and the very thing i was trying to warn people about has happened. without portals SW and org has become a lag festival and trade chat has turned into nothing but non stop spam of players looking for rides to dalaran and or shatt.but wait though people have been saying a lvl 85 has no need to return to those towns. yet here they are clogging up trade asking for portals back. so what did removing them accomplish? nothing by the looks of it cause it appears end game raiders are still running back to "older content". but each time i try to address this issue all they can come up with is we got flying mounts in old world now. so again i ask the players that thiink portals arent needed.how does the fact that flying is now possible in azeroth have any impact on lvl 85 players that still continue to go back to northrend? leaving the portals in the game wouldntve hurt the people exploring new azeroth it only causes problems for those that still like doing northrend dailys and raids.but i guess since the casual player doesnt share the same playstyle as hardcores were just supposed to sit silently because their $15 a month carries more weight.the simple fact is not all players are the same if they dont want to use portals then by all means dont but for the rest of us wheres the harm in allowing them to choose to keep doing so?
    Last edited by roadkill00x; 2010-12-11 at 09:27 AM.

RE: Bring back portals

Hello to all readers!

I apologize in advace for a lengthy post, but then again, with a lot of explaining that has been missing in the ultra-short posts in this thread to make up for, I guess I can afford it.

I am not going to voice an opinion on the subject the OP has raised, even though I [I]most definetely/I] have one, simply because the fanatics (not the non-fanatics, thankfully) " on the other side" would only start fuming at me. What I will do is point out some points made by other people and try to explain why I think they show a light lack of insight. Also, this post isn't necissarily for Blizzard, so answers of "nothing will change" shouldn't apply to this post because of that already.

Also, I think the OP has gone so far as to be harmful for his own point (all ranting tends to do that), so maybe a more relaxed post will help him (it may also help the other side, i am persoally hoping it'll doo BOTH).

1. Quote Originally Posted by lungo View Post
      And everyone else just agrees that it was a good change and those who don't like it are ... erm... less intellectual.
      Brilliant, this quote. Freely translated: "Those who disagree are less intelligent then me for the simple reason the disagree with me" I hereby pledge that I WILL NOT condemn people slolely because they have opinions they have that differ from mine, and I will ALWAYS provide reasoning for all the points I make. I will ONLY condemn people for lack of reasoning for the points they make. The reason for this pledge comes straight from Discussion 101: "A point with no agrumentation attached is not a point at all". I also promise that this will be my weakest argument in the series.
    2. So, after my own fanboy ranting, in my case on the subject of Discussion 101, which I feel stringly about, the first real question on the subject at hand.
      Q: Give me ONE reason why people would want to be in Outland (==Shattrath) or Nothrend (==Dalaran) after the hitting of Cataclysm. After all, all the end-game content is not there.

A: There are several reasons, in fact. The most important (and which actually covers pretty mcuh all the other reasons) is the fact that there is more then one type of player of this game, and I personally think that a game tailored to only one type of player isn't a very good game. And I have this weird desire to want to try and change a disappointing product if I think it can be better. The point is that there ARE types of players who have reasons to spend time on old continents. And if they have a reason, it is by default a valid reason, since they are the ONLY ONES that can decide if they have valid reasons for being there. They are the only ones who can look inside their own heads and therefore the only ones who can get an estimation for if their reasoning is valid.
      To explain further: no person is perfect, and therefore all people have a limited scope when it comes to reasoning. That means that if you can't follow another person's reasoning, you are not entitled to assume their reasoning isn't valid, but only to try and get this reasoning out of them at all costs. :P You won'succeed if they have the idea that you accuse them for having a different opinion. Accusing them for not explaining their reasoning enough that you can see how it went, no problem at all.

So, what reasons may other people have for being in the old zones, your curious (and rightlyh so) mind asks?
      Well, there are several. Yes, achievements and the sheer fun of seeing old raid content is part of it. But not all.
      The main reason I MYSELF go back, is for helping out alts that are still there. My scribe, for example, isn't a herbalist. My main is, and that is also the reason my scribe ISN'T. Because, fi I have a main who can gather materials at any time my scribe needs them, why would I want to waste a profession spot on my scribe to do the exact same thing? I don't want to, at any rate. Another thing is I could kill a obnoxious monster that is in the way of a node on my engineer / miner. And several situations of the same length, at that.

People might like old content so much, that they want to experience it again, even after having levelled quite a bit in the newest Expansion Pack. I think i like Northrend better then Cataclysm for now, but since I am a casual gamer, I haven't dolven THAT deep into Cata yet, so it MAY change. Also, i had a misbehaving computer for a month or so after Cata came out, so that is another reason I haven't done that musch Cata content yet.

People who want the loremaster achievements, may decide they want to stay in the old content for a while and actually (can you belive it?!?!) forget about the NEW content for a while. I did that for a while during WotLK, when I went back to Shattrath (so, to answer another question: yes, there WERE some lvl 68+-es that enjoyed some Outland-time). The same goes for holiday events, by the way, which can last up to three weeks, I believe.

A final reason will be touched upon in the next point, where I argue why portals from Dalaran / Shatt to the Old World (and not the possible oes to each other, for example), might be considered a bad idea.

3. What could possibly be AGAINST the portals, you (and with you, on several occasions, the OP has) ask me?
    Well, the primaty reason Blizzard decided to bring the new content to the old world was that a lot of players were complaining that if they were levelling, then nobody of high level would be anywhere near them, so if they needed help with elites or PvP or anything like that, almost nobody could help he, because they couldn't be bothered to come vack to the Old World. If you keep ALL the portals in Dalaran, then all will stay in dalaran, and a) not see the new content in the way in was supposed to be, and, more importantly, defeat the purpose of having lowbies and highbies in the same general area. The question what hurt the protals back to the other continents and between them could cause, has yet to be answered, however, and would provide for the problem that the issue of lack-of-help ow threatens to move to Outland / Northrend because there is now officially no decent way to get there from the old content. However, if this question receives a good, and most importantly WELL ARGUMENTED answer, I will definelely think of reconsidering.

4. Lastly, answer me this: why keep a guy from trying?
    Actually, one COULD argue that the same logic that has been applied to advising those that disagree with decisions made by Blizz to stop layingk, may also apply to those reading this thread. If it bothers you so much that you become incoherent with rage, you can always consider stopping reading it. Do note, however, that I never said this logic actually applies AT ALL. I am just saying that it can be said by people in general.

So, that would be myh contribution to this thing. Answers are always appreciated, because I very much love a good discussion. Apologies that the listmaking sucks and therefore failed at this site.

Regards,
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

In a game that has been streamlined to be convenient to all players of all levels, it just doesn't make any sense to remove the portals. They did it, it's done. I definitely don't get the thought process behind it though.

Deleted
    I'd like an Org/Dala and a SW/Dala portal to be added
    mainly because dalaran's where the ink trader is :P

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    In a game that has been streamlined to be convenient to all players of all levels, it just doesn't make any sense to remove the portals. They did it, it's done. I definitely don't get the thought process behind it though.
    They have stated many times that they dont want ppl using lower lvl areas as traveling hubs so they removed them. If you are questing in the Northrend or Shatt areas they now have all of the things you would need from Org or Stormwind leaving little reason to go back to Kalmindor or Eastern Kingdom durring those few lvls.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Anyone can get to Dalaran and Shattrath fairly easily. Considering there is a portal from any main city to the Dark Portal and a connecting flight path from there to Shatt (that you don't have to discover), getting to Shattrath even without 150% flying is really fast and really easy.

Getting to Dalaran is a bit more time consuming, but you can always take the boat to Northrend and then fly to Dalaran, which is also a flight path you don't have to discover once you get there.

I don't think I've had to pay a mage for a portal since the removal of the portals. You just have to be willing to spend the extra few minutes getting to where you are going. If you complain about paying the mages, there's your other option, and you don't have to do it anyway.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    They have stated many times that they dont want ppl using lower lvl areas as traveling hubs so they removed them. If you are questing in the Northrend or Shatt areas they now have all of the things you would need from Org or Stormwind leaving little reason to go back to Kalmindor or Eastern Kingdom durring those few lvls.
    The question is...why do they care if they get used as a hearthstone hub? I know one thing that royally upset me was waiting for the stupid boats/zeppelins. It's just an artificial time waster. I mean, I know that's the point of an MMO, but standing around doing nothing waiting for a boat is lame.

Deleted
    No, there are already portals in the sw and og, you can travel quickly to every point in azeroth.

There arent many bank chars in dalaran/shatt. Why should they? Why in Shatt?

Btw: Wall of text makes panda sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalashji View Post
    No, there are already portals in the sw and og, you can travel quickly to every point in azeroth.

There arent many bank chars in dalaran/shatt. Why should they? Why in Shatt?

Btw: Wall of text makes panda sad.
    I wasn't giving you a wall of text, was I? I was trying very hard to make my long-ass post as readable as possible. If it was a wall, then I sincerely apologize!

If you find yourself complaining to ride for a few more minutes to get to Northrend, which is just a boat ride away, then you have to get your priorities in check. You are a lazy ass and Blizzard is punishing you for being so.

Deleted
    It certainly was a wall and you obviously dug through all the posts here to find that, seeing as the last post before your post was in December :|

havent they said over and over again that they have no intention of restoring these portals? even though i'd appreciate to have em back i think they would make things a bit too easy and would just have people going back to dalaran or shat

No, Just No.
    wtf??!11?? I'm transforming to carrot, amagad!

No portals or minimal portals are wonderful, makes people have to do things

• Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...