Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Also overlooking the Borrowed Time benefit, and that a Shield on its own is stronger than Heal.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    You may want to take points out of strength of soul instead, shields aren't very mana effective unless they can proc rapture.
    Copying elitistjerks much? I don't get it, why can't you use both PW:S / heal & Gheal? Instead of taking points out of SoS because some people (read: elitistjerks) argue it's better to use Gheal than heal. But at the same time those people spec into Archangel / Atonement. Right. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Orapronobis View Post
    Are they making Focused Will raid wide now? Because I missed that if they announced it.
    No, but it's 20% reduced damage taken to yourself. Raid damage that's often unavoidable. Something only has to hit you for 10k, and you get that in 5 man normals, so it has quite a significant uptime.

People took Spell Warding and Desperate Prayer in Wrath. These two points are worth so much more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Shields absorb very little damage, they're not much of a life saver, if you didn't fall behind on healing to begin with there's no attack that will kill the tank that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    Copying elitistjerks much? I don't get it, why can't you use both PW:S / heal & Gheal? Instead of taking points out of SoS because some people (read: elitistjerks) argue it's better to use Gheal than heal. But at the same time those people spec into Archangel / Atonement. Right. :S
    I haven't read EJ at all, it's probably just a sign of it being a good argument. If you don't need a lot of healing, use heal. If you need more healing, use GHeal. PW: S isn't as good as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Also overlooking the Borrowed Time benefit, and that a Shield on its own is stronger than Heal.
    Not overlooking BT, just don't think it's all that awesome. Shields may be stronger than heal but so is GHeal, GHeal having the additional benefit of having a higher hps output and higher mana efficiency than shields do.
    Last edited by Siri; 2010-12-17 at 08:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I totally misread what you wrote. And yeah, that's not a bad uptime especially considering the amount of raid damage that is toss around, plus it'd give a little more leeway if you didn't notice the fire coming for you. If I wasn't so haste starved it would be a no-brainer for sure, but now I have to decide if 5% haste is enough to justify me taking less damage.

5%? Shouldn't it only be 2% that you'd be giving up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I'm fail and at work I didn't see your post Lohe, so I'm going to respond with my rough numbers to see how things actually pay off.

I'm going to use roughly the numbers I've been seeing in raid environments. So my sheilds hit for about 12k and my Gheal for 20k with my haste at 7.45% (much lower than I'd like QQ) and my mana pool being 81,255 (unbuffed, but that shouldn't really matter too much).
    Code:
                  PW:S          GHeal
    HPM        .777            .912
    HPS        8000          8594.76
    This is just for one cast, though, assuming that Rapture isn't up. This isn't really a very accurate way of modeling PW:S usage, though. So I'm going to take it at PW:S-Heal-Heal-PW:S, couting BT and the 1 Rapture proc that should happen on either side of that, and then roughly the casts of GHeal I could fit in that time (3.1 casts, which I'll round down to 3).

Code:
                  PW:S          GHeal
    HPM        1.08            .914 (Slightly different due to the mana regened during the cast time differences)
    HPS        5929.92      8583.69
    So yes, GHeal will get you more healing done in that amount of time, but you're looking at a PW:S rotation being slightly more efficient. So yes, I can see why one could just give up on PW:S, but I can't count the number of times that it's saved a tank's life.

---------- Post added 2010-12-17 at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    5%? Shouldn't it only be 2% that you'd be giving up?
    Yes, the talent is 2%, but I only have 7.45% right now with it.
    Last edited by Orapronobis; 2010-12-17 at 09:41 PM. Reason: hack the formatting

I would agree with Orapronobis about PW:S still being very useful. However, more effectively, wait until the tank is not capped off to use it. I have finally broken that habit myself. Shielding for 12k and then wasting a 3-4k heal from the glyph (which is almost as much as a normal Heal) just makes it more efficient. Plus, you can use that added haste to your GHeal or PoH.

Also not that GHeal becomes more manna efficient the more you use it due to ToT (or make you PoH more efficient).

I do have a question though, anyone know if there is a "Effective Mana" calculator anywhere?" Something like Int+Spirit=Effective Mana. I may have to make the spreadsheet myself.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I used to think I was a pretty good healer but now I have realized a lot of things that i was not thinking about.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is just for one cast, though, assuming that Rapture isn't up. This isn't really a very accurate way of modeling PW:S usage, though. So I'm going to take it at PW:S-Heal-Heal-PW:S, couting BT and the 1 Rapture proc that should happen on either side of that, and then roughly the casts of GHeal I could fit in that time (3.1 casts, which I'll round down to 3).
    You can't really count rapture because with super timing you'd only get one extra rapture every minute at best (getting rapture every 12s vs rapture every 15 (5 per min vs 4 per min)) at worst you can get a lower amount of raptures because you're getting a shield broken right before the ICD ends. Also, Inner Focus benefits GHeal mana efficieny but I'm guessing it wasn't included either.
    Furthermore, the idea isn't to use GHeal all the time, it's to use it when the tank would die if you didn't. At that point you won't even be casting Heal any more because you need a higher HPS output, rendering Strength of Soul pretty useless.

Also, don't get me wrong, it's not a bad talent I just rather take my points from there than darkness.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's the situation you're talking about I totally can see where you're coming form, but if you're tank healing chances are you will get better use out of ToT, as you'll be using your shield and then casting heal for general filler which I'd value over 0.05s off of my cast times.

If that's the situation you're talking about I totally can see where you're coming form, but if you're tank healing chances are you will get better use out of ToT, as you'll be using your shield and then casting heal for general filler which I'd value over 0.05s off of my cast times.
    You can gear more haste. You can't gear Strength of Soul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, ToT... That's for the QFT there Kelesti XP. But yeah the fight long benefits of SoS just outweigh the fact that Darkness is such a small haste bonus that I'll end up being able to out gear, as Kelesti said.
    Last edited by Orapronobis; 2010-12-18 at 10:46 AM.