Deleted

Resto mana issues

Ok so I've been doing normals to get geared for hc's and in every encounter i run out of mana really quickly and it just seems impossible to not. HW doesnt heal enough and ghw costs too much to cast. I end up having to drink very often even after trash, then i look at the mana gained on recount and im constantly at the bottom with such little mana gained it's ridiculous, i even specced into telluric currents but i can only cast so many lb's untill i need to heal again and lose even more mana. Anyone got any helps and tips, surely im not the only one.

Deleted
    I can't give much advice, but I will say this - our resto shaman doesn't have THAT much problems healing. It is quite possible that your tank(s) doesn't have enough avoidance and/or HP. Or that your group doesn't use enough CC.

cc is a big part of the game again. I hadn't seen a sheep outside of WSG in all of WOTLK. Less damage = more green bar. Letting your HoTs tick away during low-impact parts of fights is important. If your group is taking avoidable damage (interruptable, GTFO of the fire, aggroing wrong targets, purgeable, etcable) then you will have a lot of issues. Keep an eye on the mobs for unprotected casts and buffs that may be removable.

Hi all,
    Imho the "mana issue" is related to both gear and play-style(not necessarily you but others around you as well).
    I was struggling at first with mana and adapted my play-style. but most of all from my experience it is all about avoidable damage.

some fight require the use CDs and ranged need to be more aware of damage they are taking ie: MOVE OUT OF FLAME...

my plays-style consists of ... yeah healing wave your best friend... if you have to use a big heal, use it with tidal waves and UE. (faster and more crit value)

although healing wave does not heal as much as we want based on it's casting speed, i can spam it all day long and be at full mana.

If you find yourself having to pull HS an GHW almost constantly it's because your group is not avoiding the damage properly and/or not using proper CC methods.

I have also noticed the gear makes a HUGE difference... like i said i've only started heroics yesterday and finished every boss fight with at least 50% mana if not more on some boss fights ... but these are my 2 cents.
    another great trick is if i find im getting low combine tears of blood trink (proc) with mana tide and watch your mana shoot up.
    Last edited by Wrathius; 2010-12-20 at 09:42 PM.

1) Use all CC available to you
    2) Tank needs to be gearing/gemming for avoidance not stamina. This goes for all tanks though numbers are different for each class. They need to get out of the Wrath habit.
    3) Don't heal people that don't need healing. If a DPS stands in the fire and takes a tick of damage, fine. Don't heal him if there wont be anymore incoming damage. Heal priorities are You > Tank > Everyone else. If a DPS is standing in fire and not moving, let him die. If he rages, tell him to l2play because he is doing it wrong.
    4) Get more regen if you need it. Reforge out of haste/mastery for spirit or crit (crit doubles as regen due to Improved Water Shield)

Keep riptide up at all times, and UE as well, and it makes for HW being more than enough to heal, but you do have NS+GHW for that oh crap moment. Healing Surge should barely be used at all.

**EDIT** Just make sure that you UE after you riptide, or else you just wasted your UE on a useless healing increase on a riptide.

After reading on EJ I stopped using GHW except for my NS macro. Instead I'll use HS if I need a big heal. The thing you have to learn (as did I) is that damage is much different now then it was in WotLK. You have to know when the tank as well as the DPS is going to take damage and how much. It's no longer viable to simply keep everyone topped off. If a mage stands in the fire for 2 ticks and goes down to 50% HP, you have to know when or if he's going to take more damage and how much. You may not have to heal him for the rest of the fight and that's ok.

Also tanks don't take massive amounts of damage anymore except when the boss/mob is going to use some ability. If the tank takes a 30k hit you may be able to top him off with HW spam over 15 sec then have to do it with a RT+HS+HS to get him topped off asap. HW becomes mana neutral pretty early into heroics. At item level 335ish I started to gain mana while spamming HW.

Keep in mind that while HW may be a smaller heal, if you have time it will work very well for you. If you have glyph of HW then not only are you healing the tank over and over, but your healing yourself. When you crit with it your gaining mana and healing someone else with AA procs, then with ELW your getting HoTs rolling on everyone. There's many heroic boss fights where simply keeping ES up, RT on CD, and HW spam will keep everyone good for the whole fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying not to re-write everything that's been said here, but just to add:
    Are you using spirit trinkets, int trinkets? Are you gemming anything yet? Are you in mostly quest greens or basic blues that have 0 spirit on it? Are you running mana stream or healing stream? Are you eating spirit food or elixir/flasking with spirit before you get into a dungeon?

There's a lot of boss fights now that do some AoE damage that will trigger a bubble on your water shield to burst. Do -not- forget to have that up 100% of the time. I'm still struggling occasionally with realising my shield is down.

10+ Year Old Account
    shaman sux compared to other classes However, use Healing wave wisely , & the other people(tank specialy) should use their cooldowns all the time, Im doing heroics atm & were not cc'ing anymore already (guild runs)

Sure I go oom, also in raids, im first oom , but yeh... welcome to shaman yo just cc & cooldowns & make no mistakes on boss, (your whole group) & its gg.

Oh also to add, make sure that you reforge all mastery (and I mean ALL) to spirit, and do haste instead on pieces that don't have mastery. All you really want for resto shamans at the current gear level is Int, spirit and crit, in that order. Haste is okay to have, but matery is utter crap because the health pools of players are not high enough to make proper use of it yet. I am guessing 2 tiers from now it will become useful.
    Last edited by Maeleena; 2010-12-20 at 08:31 PM.

Other people have said it but I'll say it again. You simply don't have the mana to spam GHW or HS and this is by design. No healer class can spam their equivalent heals at this point for gear levels. You need to cover as much of your healing as possible with riptide, Earthshield on the tank, UE and Healing stream. If you are having to use GHW or HS you aren't gonna last. CC and not standing in stuff/interrupting things is back in a big way and healer simply can not cover for people ignoring these mechanics.

As a simple example, I've done Corla, Herald of Twilight in Blackrock caverns on both normal and heroic. When people ignore or screw up the mechanics on the beams on normal it is harder to heal than when people do it right on heroic. There are mechanics like this on almost every boss that can make a huge difference in the difficulty of the fight.

Deleted
    As well as whats been said above (good tank, good cc, good interupts) make sure you also read the restoration shaman guide stickied in this forum. It might help you out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana Angel View Post
    I'm trying not to re-write everything that's been said here, but just to add:
    Are you using spirit trinkets, int trinkets? Are you gemming anything yet? Are you in mostly quest greens or basic blues that have 0 spirit on it? Are you running mana stream or healing stream? Are you eating spirit food or elixir/flasking with spirit before you get into a dungeon?

There's a lot of boss fights now that do some AoE damage that will trigger a bubble on your water shield to burst. Do -not- forget to have that up 100% of the time. I'm still struggling occasionally with realising my shield is down.

This is very accurate - I sometimes forget water water shield. This is a massive mana regen ability. Also there are a lot of trinkets out their that will increase the spirit. Heartsong enchant on your one hander is pretty amazing as I find it procs all the time. Also start cooking spirit food if you are having problems. It is so easy to go fishing and cook for yourself. I never go into a instance without buff food, its basically free stats

10+ Year Old Account
    Healing in Cata is all about efficiency, and everyone in the party/raid doing their part to avoid damage. In Wrath, and to a lesser extent in TBC, DPS did DPS, healers healed anything that wasn't an instagib, and tanks held threat. That was basically it. Now, everyone has an additional responsibility to avoid as much damage as possible to allow for healer mana to remain high enough to make it through the fight. Melee can't just eat that proximity AoE because it's "only half my health".

The new system takes some getting used to, but IMO it's immensely better for the long-term game. It's removed a lot of the complaint that DPS was an "easier" role (it wasn't, but mostly because neither healing nor tanking was much more complicated), and it puts a higher mark of personal performance into the raid's success, making it more difficult to "carry" underperforming players. Heroics are a great example; most of the boss executions aren't all that complicated, but if you don't execute them properly, you will wipe. Over and over and over. We'll probably get to a point where we can outgear and curbstomp a lot of them again, but reaching that point will be more difficult than in Wrath, probably more like TBC where you need to gear up in lower raid tiers to be able to cut it in higher tiers.

All this is good, because it expects improvement. It's no different from level 20 of a platformer being harder than level 3. Games should be about constantly improving your gameplay. That means stuff has to get more difficult, and I think they cut the balance well in Cataclysm, with a definite ramping up of difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkner View Post
    Ok so I've been doing normals to get geared for hc's and in every encounter i run out of mana really quickly and it just seems impossible to not. HW doesnt heal enough and ghw costs too much to cast. I end up having to drink very often even after trash, then i look at the mana gained on recount and im constantly at the bottom with such little mana gained it's ridiculous, i even specced into telluric currents but i can only cast so many lb's untill i need to heal again and lose even more mana. Anyone got any helps and tips, surely im not the only one.
    Earth Shield, Healing Wave and Riptide are my top heals, almost, every single run I do (Like 28%/27%/25% or something like that. The orders change up but those number don't really). Many people discount Healing Wave as useless because of how slow and weak it is. Until people realize this their go-to heal they will never have mana. Now the question is, do you just not like the throughput of Healing Wave or is it actually not enough throughput?

If it is the later, there is nothing you can do about it. If people stand in "stuff" and you have the HS spam to keep them up, you will OOM. If there is no CC, you will OOM. If people try to ignore fight mechanics, you will OOM. If the tank can't hold aggro (or DPS can't manage threat), you will OOM. If spells aren't interrupted, you will OOM (Wind Sheer, yo!). This is the design of the game. Right now I am in mostly iL333 blues, a few H pieces and a few iL316. I'm not even reforging or enchanting (<--bad me). I have almost no problem in normals.

Heck, in some normals, I have groups that fail at 90% of that stuff and I am still able to carry them. Make sure you have >99% uptime on Earth Shield. Riptide on cooldown. Try not to panic. Healing Surge is fast and pretty big but Healing Wave should suffice in most situations (again, if it can't someone if effing up).

People who say resto doesn't have mana problems, and needs to "L2P" clearly haven't raided yet. A good holy pally doesn't have mana problems on fights, so you can't say all healers have mana problems.

At the OP, right at 85 all of us had the same problem. Get some gear and it will be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    My water shield has been falling faster than epics in wotlk.
    I haven't read into why it has been coming off so fast; from the time of putting it up to twenty seconds later, it could have used all three charges in that time, simply from aoe.
    Always refresh water shield and keybind it to something that you can press without even thinking, Personally I use Tilde (The key left of 1).

The only reason it would be falling off is if you are getting hit or a bug.

You want Water Shield to be falling off, because that means you are getting mana back. You just need to pay more attention to it (set up Power Auras to show how many are left) so that you can re-apply it immediately when it falls off.