Archeology for Dummies

Hello, and welcome to Worpig's guide to Archeology where you will have your questions answered and learn the tricks of the trade. After reading to the end of this guide you will have the knowledge of surpassing Brann Bronzebeard himself. As well as learning the history of Azeroth and its inhabitants. Archaeology is a Secondary Profession skill, similar to Fishing, Cooking and First Aid. This allows you to learn the skill to be a treasure hunter as early as you want.

Q:Where do I learn Archaeology?
    A:Well, if your last name isn't Bronzebeard then head on over to your nearest capital city.

ALLIANCE
    Harrison Jones (Stormwind Keep in Stormwind)
    Diya (The Vault of Lights in The Exodar)
    Hammon the Jaded (Temple of the Moon in Darnassus)
    Doktor Professor Ironpants (Hall of Explorers in Ironforge)

HORDE

Belloc Brightblade (Valley of Strength in Orgrimmar)
    Otoh Greyhide (The Elder Rise in Thunderbluff)
    Elynara (The Royal Exchange in Silvermoon City)
    Adam Hossack(Mage Quarter in Undercity)

Q:I've just learned Archaeology what do I do now?
    A:Archaeology will be sending you to various digsites across Azeroth so if you are capable of easy travel, flight mount, then open up your World Map and look for Shovel icons.
    If you lack easy travel then it may be best to save the digging till you can do so. Although if you're still interested then continue reading.

Q:I have FOUR digsites on Kalimdor and FOUR on Eastern Kingdoms where do I start?
    A:As you've observed you will see 4 digsites, there will also be 4 digsites on Kalimdor at any given time. The best idea is to locate your hearthstone to best place, later in this guide you will find a simple pathing guide. However let's stick to one continent for now.

Q:I'm at a digsite what do I do?
    A:After learning Archeology you will get a new skill called, Survey. As well as a Profession list that keeps track of all your artifacts you've complete as well as the one currently being worked on. The first thing you do on a digsite, which by the way will show up as a redzoned area on your map, is use Survey.

Q:I've surveyed but I only see a light and a telescope thing.

A:Archeology is like playing a game of Hot and Cold where the Light and Telescope thing will send you into the direction of fragments. Lets Explain:

The Lights

Red Light signals a far away fragment(>100 Yards Away)

Yellow Light signals a moderately close object(Between 50-100 Yards Away)

Green Light signals a near object(<50 Yards Away)

The Telescope

The Telescope will face a certain direction, that is the direction of the fragment to be found. Simply align your direction with the direction it is facing. The largest end of the scope is the direction you want to follow.

Q:What do I do next?

A:After your first Survey you must head into the direction of the telescope and go a certain distance based on the color of the light, once you've feel like you've treaded far enough simply Survey again. Keep doing this till you discover a Fragment on the ground.

Q:I have finally found a fragment are there any tips to finding them faster?
    A:An experience Archeologist will tell you, the fragments all have set coordinates so there are Addons that could help you track them better give you exact coordinates of fragments. However there is no reason for such addon because you just need to follow the "signs".

When you get to a digsite try to survey at around the center. This will give you a better direction of the fragment to be found. Go off of the color, if it is red, get on your mount and go into the direction the telescope was facing and as soon as Survey comes off Cooldown use it generally the time to do that will give your next survey a Yellow or a Green based of the size of the digsite. If you have a Yellow, do not mount and run the distance till Survey comes off cooldown and cast Survey again this should give you a green. Now comes the "easiest" part.

When you get green you need to look at the enviroment. Fragments have the tendancies to spawn near other objects like trees, walls or offcolored spots on the ground. A tip to go off of is how close is your green to an object on the ground. However the simplest thing for a new Archaeologist is to walk until 1 second left on your Survey and cast it at that spot. If you run into a wall or object that you can't walk over then it's very likely on the other side.

As you do Archaeology it will become simpler to get fragments in fewer Surveys. Also once you've found one fragment on the ground then cast survey in the same place as the next fragment could be in same spot or very nearby.

Q:How many times can I dig at a site?
    A:You can dig up 3 relics at a single digsite and each relic will reward 3 Fragments. If you are a Dwarf then you will be have the chance of getting 5 or 7 Fragments PER relic (A possible total of 21 Fragments compared to the normal 9).

Q:I got some green item from a Relic on the ground.
    A:These items will give you an additional 12 Fragments to completing an Artifact of a certain race.

Troll Tablet - Troll
    Highborne Scroll - Night Elf
    Dwarf Rune Stone - Dwarf
    Orc Blood Text - Orc
    Draenei Tome - Draenei
    Nerubian Obelisk - Nerubian
    Vrykul Rune Stick - Vrykul
    Tol'vir Hieroglyphic - Tol'vir

The race tablets can only be found from digsites that offer that races Fragments. EX. Dwarf Rune Stones only come from Dwarven Digsites.
    Also keep in mind Fossils do not possess a tablet.

Q:How do I complete Artifacts?
    A:The best way of starting however is getting your first 75 skillpoints in archaeology by digging. Once you've learned the next level of Archaeology from the Trainer then you only get skillpoints from completing Artifacts - 5 from Common and 15 from Rare. So to complete Artifacts go to your Archaeology profession list. Certain races will be selectable based on if you have fragments towards their artifacts. You can look at any race and see if you have enough fragments to complete artifacts. The amount of Fragments varies on the item itself but if you've saved up you should be capable of completing a few. At the bottom you will see 2 numbers one showing how many fragments you have and other how many the artifact being worked on needs. If you have enough you simply click solve.

One tip to completing more artifacts is using any tablets you have before solving, keep in mind some Artifacts won't allow the use of a tablet. Also Tablets are a great source of income in the Auction House as you don't absolutely need tablets to solve artifacts and most artifacts themselves offer very little cash.

Q:What are all the artifacts I can complete?
    A:Each races offers a large list of common items that sell to vendors for minor change but the real prize are the rare items and each race has their own list of achievable items.

FOSSIL

Common Fossil items:
    Beautiful Preserved Fern
    Black Trilobite
    Twisted Ammonite Shell
    Insect in Amber
    Strange Velvet Worm
    Devilsaur Tooth
    Ancient Shark Jaws
    Vicious Ancient Fish
    Feathered Raptor Arm
    Shard of Petrified Wood
    Imprint of a Kraken Tentacle
    Proto-Drake Skeleton

Rare Fossil items:
    Fossilized Hatchling
    Fossilized Raptor

TROLL

Common Troll items:
    Zandalari Voodoo Doll
    Fetish of Hir'eek
    Eerie Hakkari Idol
    Lizard Foot Charm
    Jade Asp with Ruby Eyes
    Feathered Gold Earring
    Cinnabar Bijou
    Atal'ai Scepter
    Gahz'rilla Figurine
    Skull-Shaped Planter
    Bracelet of Jade and Coins
    Drakkari Sacrificial Knife
    Tooth with Gold Filling
    Fine Bloodscalp Dinnerware

Rare Troll items:
    Zin'rokh, Destroyer of Worlds

DWARF

Common Dwarf items:
    Belt Buckle with Anvilmar Crest
    Wooden Whistle
    Bone Gaming Dice
    Ceramic Funeral Urn
    Worn Hunting Knife
    Pewter Drinking Cup
    Moltenfist's Jeweled Goblet
    Stone Gryphon
    Silver Neck Torc
    Ironstar's Petrified Shield
    Bodacious Door Knocker
    Scorched Staff of Shadow Priest Anund
    Dented Shield of Horuz Killcrow
    Notched Sword of Tunadil the Redeemer
    Winged Helm of the Corehammer
    Mithril Chain of Angerforge
    Boot Heel with Scrollwork
    Golden Chamber Pot
    Scepter of Charlga Razorflank
    Scepter of Bronzebeard
    Skull Staff of Shadowforge
    Dwarven Baby Socks
    Warmaul of Burningeye
    Silver Kris of Korl
    Spiked Gauntlets of Anvilrage
    Word of Empress Zoe
    Pipe of Franclorn Forgewright

Rare Dwarf items:
    Chalice of the Mountain Kings
    Clockwork Gnome
    The Innkeeper's Daughter
    Staff of the Sorceror-Thane Thaurissan

NIGHT ELF

Common Night Elf items:
    Scandalous Silk Nightgown
    Highborne Pyxis
    Green Dragon Ring
    Inlaid Ivory Comb
    Coin from Eldre'Thalas
    Cloak Clasp with Antlers
    Shattered Glaive
    Kaldorei Amphora
    Hairpin of Silver and Malachite
    Delicate Music Box
    Chest of Tiny Glass Animals
    Cracked Crystal Vial
    Silver Scroll Case
    Scepter of Xavius
    String of Small Pink Pearls
    Umbra Crescent
    Necklace with Elune Pendant
    Carcanet of the Hundred Magi

Rare Night Elf items:
    Wisp Amulet
    Queen Azshara's Dressing Gown
    Highborne Soul Mirror
    Druid and Priest Statue Set
    Kaldorei Wind Chimes
    Bones of Transformation
    Tyrande's Favorite Doll

ORC

Common Orc items:
    Tiny Bronze Scorpion
    Skull Drinking Cup
    Tile of Glazed Clay
    Gray Candle Stud
    Fiendish Whip
    Scepter of Nekros Skullcrusher
    Rusted Steak Knife
    Maul of Stone Guard Mur'og
    Fierce Wolf Figurine

Rare Orc items:
    Headdress of the First Shaman

DRAENEI

Common Draenei items:
    Strange Silver Paperweight
    Anklet with Golden Bells
    Scepter of the Nathrezim
    Fine Crystal Candleabra
    Dignified Portrait
    Plated Elekk Goad
    Baroque Sword Scabbard
    Carved Harp of Exotic Wood

Rare Draenei items:
    The Last Relic of Argus
    Arrival of the Naaru

VRYKUL

Common Vrykul items:
    Scramseax
    Thorned Necklace
    Flint Striker
    Intricate Treasure Chest Key
    Fanged Cloak Pin

Rare Vrykul items:
    Nifflevar Bearded Axe

NERUBIAN

Common Nerubian items:
    Infested Ruby Ring
    Scepter of Nerzar'Azret
    Vizier's Scrawled Streamer
    Spidery Sundial
    Six Clawed Cornice
    Gruesome Heart Box
    Ewer of Jormungar Blood

Rare Nerubian items:
    Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron
    Blessing of the Old God

TOL'VIR

Common Tol'vir items:
    Cat Statue with Emerald Eyes
    Soapstone Scarab Necklace
    Tiny Oasis Mosaic
    Engraved Scimitar Pommel
    Sketch of a Desert Palace
    Canopic Jar
    Castle of Sand
    Crawling Claw

Rare Tol'vir items:
    Ring of the Boy Emperor
    Pendant of the Scarab Storm
    Crawling Claw
    Scepter of Azj'Aqir
    Scimitar of the Sirocco
    Staff of Ammunae

Common items created are unpredictable however the order in which you complete rare Artifacts is the same for everyone. Also you are only capable of completing 1 of each Rare Artifact where as common ones are unlimited.

Q:When can I get fragments from other races?
    A: 1-300 -- Fossil, Night Elf, Troll, Dwarven
    300-375 -- Orc & Draenei (Outland ONLY)
    375-450 -- Vrykul & Nerubian (Northrend ONLY)
    450+ -- Tol'vir (Uldum ONLY)

Night Elf Digsites are more abundant in Kalimdor and very rare on Eastern Kingdoms
    Dwarven Digsites are more abundant in The Eastern Kingdoms and very rare on Kalimdor
    Troll Digsites are more abundant in Eastern Kingdoms but are limited on Kalimdor
    Fossils are about even only both Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms

Once you hit 450 Archaeology Digsites on Kalimdor will begin sharing sites with Mount Hyjal and Uldum. Where as on Eastern Kingdoms sites will be shared with Twilight Highlands and Vashj'ir

Q:Whats the best way to quickly level and a good path to follow?
    A:For an Alliance player with a Flying Mount stay in The Eastern Kingdoms with Hearthstone set to Stormwind. First go either North or South, based on which has the most digsites. When you finish all artifacts that are either South of Stormwind or have completed all Northern Digsites then hearth and head the other direction. Going one direction will allow a smoother pathing. Generally when you complete one direction's digsites your hearthstone will come off cooldown, if it isn't then just fly to next direction.

For an Alliance player that reaches 450+ and wanting Tol'vir Relics you will need to use the portals located in Stormwind. Having to go to Kalimdor either take the portal to Mount Hyjal and head South till you get majority of digsites sitting near Uldum. Hearth and then take Uldum Portal and continue North till majority of digsites are near Mount Hyjal. Hearth once again, and take Mount Hyjal portal and repeat.

For a Horde player you're best to stay on Kalimdor and set hearth to Orgrimmar or Thunder Bluff. Like the Alliance simply start by going either North or South and complete all digsites in that direction and then hearth then go other direction. A Horde player can continue the normal path if they want Tol'vir Artifacts. However if wanting Dwarven relics then you can take the Orgrimmar portal to Twilight Highlands. Keep in mind some digsites exist in Vashj'ir and slightly annoying to traverse, to minimize your travels as a horde player you can accumulate a large amount of fragments without solving, thus not pasting 450, till you are satisfied with the amount where you can then start solving. Else your best bet is to either ignore Vashj'ir and wait till you have a large amount of digsites there.

Q:This profession is slow and boring.
    A:To most this profession lacks very little incentive to doing but let me give a few perks you'll get from picking this up that would possibly make this feel less like a grind and more like a reward.

Archaeology gives experience to players for each relic you dig up. The amount of experience is about equal to half the XP a typical quest your level rewards. Although I wouldn't recommend leveling on Archaeology BUT it certainly won't hurt to go to nearby digsites while leveling.

Leveling Archaeology seems slow at first, however if you follow the paths I mentioned previously as well as acquire fast transport between digsites then it would be the fastest way. If you're not immediately after a certain rare artifact you could level Archaeology on either Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor 1-525. Personally I felt Outland to offer quicker Archaeology levels however Outland possess few rare artifacts.

The rare artifacts are the whole point of leveling Archaeology and they can be very useful ranging from rare mounts and non-combat pets to Bind on Account epics that could help you gear easily. Among the rarest of items is a Tol'vir artifact, Canopic Jar, which IF and alchemist can reward a recipe to obtain "Vial of the Sands" which is a mount that transforms you and allows an ally to ride on your back. This gives you a unique and fun mount.

Also Archaeology offers a variety of Achievements for our achievement lovers. A few achievements even reward a Title that is much more enjoying than that Jenkins title.

Q:How do I get these achievements?
    A: Digger - 10 Common Artifacts Completed
    Diggerer - 50 Common Artifacts Completed
    Diggerest - 100 Common Artifacts Completed

I Had it in My Hand - 1 Rare Artifact Completed
    What Was Briefly Yours is Now Mine - 10 Rare Artifacts Completed
    It Belongs in a Museum - 20 Rare Artifacts Completed

Its Always in the Last Place you Look - Complete 1 Artifact for each Race

Seven Scepters - Complete the following Artifacts
    --Scepter of Charlga Razorflank - Dwarf
    --Scepter of Xavius - Night Elf
    --Scepter of the Nathrezim - Draenei
    --Scepter of Bronzebeard - Dwarf
    --Atal'ai Scepter - Troll
    --Scepter of Nekros Skullcrusher - Orc
    --Scepter of Nezar'Azret - Nerubian

Tragedy In Three Acts - Complete the following Night Elf Artifacts
    --Delicate Music Box
    --Hairpin of Silver and Malachite
    --Cracked Crystal Vial
    --Cloak Clasp with Antlers
    --Chest of Tiny Glass Animals
    --Silver Scroll Case

Blue Streak - Complete the following Artifacts all from Dwarven Fragments
    --Notched Sword of Tunadil the Redeemer
    --Scorched Staff of Shadow Priest Anund
    --Dented Shield of Horuz Killcrow
    --Silver Kris of Korl

Kings Under the Mountain - Complete the following Dwarven Artifacts
    --Mithril Chain of Angerforge
    --Winged Helm of Corehammer
    --Skull Staff of Shadowforge
    --Warmaul of Burningeye
    --Moltenfist's Jeweled Goblet
    --Ironstar's Petrified Shield
    --Spiked Gauntlets of Anvilrage

The Harder they Fall - Complete the following Orc Artifacts
    --Tiny Bronze Scorpion
    --Gray Candle Stub
    --Maul of Stone Guard Mur'og
    --Rusted Steak Knife

The Boy Who Would be King
    - Complete the following Tol'vir Artifacts
    --Cat Statue with Emerald Eyes
    --Tiny Oasis Mosaic
    --Sketch of a Desert Palace
    --Soapstone Scarab Necklace
    --Engraved Scimitar Hilt
    --Canopic Jar
    Last edited by Worpig; 2010-12-27 at 02:58 AM.