Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I like OC, but I'm way too stupid for it. Never get any questions right...

I used to be OBSESSED with Pointless. But they've kind of painted themselves into a corner, IMO. The questions are getting kinda silly now, which ruins the fun for me.

OC is difficult, but not getting it doesn't make you stupid. It requires lateral thinking as well as sometimes obscure knowledge.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    OC is difficult, but not getting it doesn't make you stupid. It requires lateral thinking as well as sometimes obscure knowledge.
    Yeah, my Obscure knowledge is far more suited to Pointless. I OWN that show. Actually applied to be on, but didn't get picked.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Yeah, my Obscure knowledge is far more suited to Pointless. I OWN that show. Actually applied to be on, but didn't get picked.
    The one I always struggled with and made me feel dumb was University challenge. That was until they did a movie sound tracks round and no one could get even basic films like LOTR or Pirates of the Caribbean.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    so new news are that aparently actors playing Jodie's companions are quiting the series because of abysmal ratings and the possiblity that it can negatively affect their careers.
    C'mon, you really don't have to make up stupid crap like this to make the situation more of a dumpster fire than it already is. >_<

It's pretty clear that the actor who plays Ryan signed a new contract to do an American TV series, and the actor who plays Graham has always had scheduling conflicts. It's actually a bit of a surprise he lasted this long as a companion, TBH.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Ratings for the series 12 finale were terrible. It pulled a 3.78 overnight which is the second lowest for the series, only higher than last week.

Some have speculated that with the ratings so terrible, they are going to have to break the emergency glass to attract an audience. That means series 13 *must* bring back David Tennant, Matt Smith, Billie Piper, etc. *If* they can get them. I mean I doubt they can get Karen Gillan (shes too big of a star now) nor Chris Eccelston (he hates Doctor Who). Its an interesting theory I've heard so I thought I'd mention it here and see if it actually happens. Speculation also is that series 13 will release in fall 2021, which makes sense of course.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a Multi-Doctor episode would happen just for ratings purposes.

Another thing they have (that not many people noticed) is the whole "Redacted" section of the Matrix that the Master couldn't see. i'm more than suspecting that was written in as a bit of a panic-button for the next season to undo this Timless Child nonsense... announcing the Doctor (REAL Doctor) was really just a clone or something spawned from the original that went rogue. Not that enough of the people who left would see/know that undo button happened, of course...

Chibnall already voiced a desire to get Amy/Rory back in some way - and I don't think Karen's too full of herself to make a cameo in one episode.

Surprisingly, Chris Eccleston MIGHT not be completely out of the picture as you may think! He's been recently making a lot of progress on his opinion of Doctor Who, and uncharacteristically has recently attended the Gallifrey One Convention as a guest in Las Angeles - the largest American Doctor Who Convention.

Would Jenny (The Doctor's Daughter) count as another Timeless Child?

I always wondered what happened to her in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    No I'm just not looking under the desk for ways to surrender to the far right, or treating introverts as the ultimate evil as you love to post or whatever conspiracy theory you love next). If you knew anything about Bradley Walsh you'd know he basically hasn't had a day off in about 4 years. If you knew anything about Doctor who, you'd know companions barely hang around.
    Setting aside all that nonsense, do you really think that human beings automatically just tell the truth about why they leave a job? You didn't answer the question.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I enjoyed the season a lot. I think Jodi Whittaker really, really excels in the more fun parts of the stories, where her whole 'unhinged yorkshirewoman saves the day' shtick plays out great. Some of the more serious stuff isn't as good, and the sidekicks aren't as good as some of the others, but they're likeable enough. I thought Sacha Dhawan was iawesome, the best part of the season, and the best Master.

In the ending I thought the whole revelation of the Doctor's origin was a bit underwhelming. I didn't mind her being the timeless child, but the Master talking about it in the season openers had me imagining something more monstrous. I was thinking perhaps the Doctor/timeless child and the Master were the last survivors of some other race that what became the time lords 'consumed' for genetics/regeneration abilities or something like that. All in all, I hope we see more of Dhawan's Master in the next season, because he's just great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I enjoyed the season a lot. I think Jodi Whittaker really, really excels in the more fun parts of the stories, where her whole 'unhinged yorkshirewoman saves the day' shtick plays out great. Some of the more serious stuff isn't as good, and the sidekicks aren't as good as some of the others, but they're likeable enough. I thought Sacha Dhawan was iawesome, the best part of the season, and the best Master.
    I have to agree that Dhawan's Master is one of the best. I mean I love Gomez and her "reformed" Mistress, but this giggling psycho is just too much fun. And it plays well against the sort of "fun crazy" of the Doctor. Like, this is the Doctor if they let all the shit they've been through get to them, this is the kind of power their genius really has, they just don't put it to this use.

And yeah, Jodie does really seem to nail "goofy fun crazy" Doctor really well, but just doesn't really hammer home the serious bits. But goddamn for like, 30 seconds in one episode Jo really did, so, maybe there's hope.

They REALLY need to cut some companions though. It's just too much to cram on screen between other Doctors, great Masters, quirky NPCs, bad guys with depth, to have three companions running around. Yaz is clearly the most compoetant. Graham is the most genre savvy. And I still really don't know why Ryan is here, it's not like he's crushing on the Doctor like past companions. And frankly, I'm glad they've dropped the DoctorXcompanion awkward schadenfreude/stockholm syndrome romance sub-plot.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    And I still really don't know why Ryan is here, it's not like he's crushing on the Doctor like past companions. And frankly, I'm glad they've dropped the DoctorXcompanion awkward schadenfreude/stockholm syndrome romance sub-plot.
    100% agreed. SO glad that at the very least, him and Graham are leaving in the special. Potentially Yaz, as well. They need to bring in a Donna tier companion, for next season.

Also, I was talking about ths season with my friend, yesterday...

We both agree: The big reveal would have been 10000000x better if THE MASTER and not The Doctor was the timeless child. It would explain how he keeps coming back, explain how he survived Missy's end AND explain the Crazy, a bit. He was driven mad, because when he looked into the untempered schism, it partially unlocked his memories. So he has brief flashes of hundreds of regenerations... but doesn't know where they're coming from, because he's been fed the lie of the 13 regeneration cap all his lives.

Then, for bonus points! The woman that took him in and did all the experiments? That was the Doctor. That's why he has this love/hate thing for her. Because she raised him, but also experimented on him... but he can't remember any of that. So he has this deep love for her, but also memories of pain and betrayal at her hands. add in his memory schisms and BOOM. A gibbering psychopath, who loves and hates the Doctor in equal measure.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    100% agreed. SO glad that at the very least, him and Graham are leaving in the special. Potentially Yaz, as well. They need to bring in a Donna tier companion, for next season.

Also, I was talking about ths season with my friend, yesterday...

We both agree: The big reveal would have been 10000000x better if THE MASTER and not The Doctor was the timeless child. It would explain how he keeps coming back, explain how he survived Missy's end AND explain the Crazy, a bit. He was driven mad, because when he looked into the untempered schism, it partially unlocked his memories. So he has brief flashes of hundreds of regenerations... but doesn't know where they're coming from, because he's been fed the lie of the 13 regeneration cap all his lives.

Then, for bonus points! The woman that took him in and did all the experiments? That was the Doctor. That's why he has this love/hate thing for her. Because she raised him, but also experimented on him... but he can't remember any of that. So he has this deep love for her, but also memories of pain and betrayal at her hands. add in his memory schisms and BOOM. A gibbering psychopath, who loves and hates the Doctor in equal measure.
    I mean, there's no reason this can't be true either. It's best assumed that everything the Master says is a lie, which means he could have tampered with the database, and the database in turn could be messing with the Doctor when she plugs into it. The Master has always had a vendetta against the Time Lords(and everyone else), and he wants the Doctor to join him in that, so why not just flip the script. The Doctor was the poor abducted abused child that the evil Time Lords experimented on. Or maybe the Master is the woman who found the Doctor as a child and he's trying to cover it up to get the Doctor on his side.

I think the "big reveal" is still vague and questionable enough to go a lot of directions with some clever writing.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the "big reveal" is still vague and questionable enough to go a lot of directions with some clever writing.
    While that is 100% true... Can you imagine the reaction, if they tried to change that reveal, now? you can't end on a huge twist like that, and then Retcon it away again.

10+ Year Old Account
    While that is 100% true... Can you imagine the reaction, if they tried to change that reveal, now? you can't end on a huge twist like that, and then Retcon it away again.
    I think people take far too much of this kind of stuff as absolute when it happens. It's not a retcon to reveal the Master is a manipulative liar.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people take far too much of this kind of stuff as absolute when it happens. It's not a retcon to reveal the Master is a manipulative liar.
    You know that. I know that. The general populace will just see a reveal that proved to be quite divisive (the Doctor is the timeless child) being changed, potentially because of public outcry. Bad precedent to set.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know that. I know that. The general populace will just see a reveal that proved to be quite divisive (the Doctor is the timeless child) being changed, potentially because of public outcry. Bad precedent to set.
    I think the "general populace" enjoys watching a fun TV show, and it's dedicated fans who flip their shit or get divided over this sort of thing.

Just, be kind.

Setting aside all that nonsense, do you really think that human beings automatically just tell the truth about why they leave a job? You didn't answer the question.
    When it comes to idiots on the forum claiming A with no evidence or the actor claiming b. Anyone who isn't a retard would believe the actor whom you know already has a ton of other work that has been going on for years and has less viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    so new news are that aparently actors playing Jodie's companions are quiting the series because of abysmal ratings and the possiblity that it can negatively affect their careers.

but im sure Chibnal will just double down on the direction that show has taken in next season .
    That's a stretch - Tosin has been cast in a US drama and Bradley has been cast in a new UK drama as well. Yaz is still staying apparently though, so it'll be nice to go back to one companion.

I have to agree that Dhawan's Master is one of the best. I mean I love Gomez and her "reformed" Mistress, but this giggling psycho is just too much fun. And it plays well against the sort of "fun crazy" of the Doctor. Like, this is the Doctor if they let all the shit they've been through get to them, this is the kind of power their genius really has, they just don't put it to this use.

And yeah, Jodie does really seem to nail "goofy fun crazy" Doctor really well, but just doesn't really hammer home the serious bits. But goddamn for like, 30 seconds in one episode Jo really did, so, maybe there's hope.

They REALLY need to cut some companions though. It's just too much to cram on screen between other Doctors, great Masters, quirky NPCs, bad guys with depth, to have three companions running around. Yaz is clearly the most compoetant. Graham is the most genre savvy. And I still really don't know why Ryan is here, it's not like he's crushing on the Doctor like past companions. And frankly, I'm glad they've dropped the DoctorXcompanion awkward schadenfreude/stockholm syndrome romance sub-plot.
    well its looking more and more likely that after revolution of the daleks that graham and ryan are leaving but yaz is staying
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    well its looking more and more likely that after revolution of the daleks that graham and ryan are leaving but yaz is staying
    seems like a season to skip. and so will milions of former dr who fans.

cant wait for christmas special gathering sub 1 mln audience.

The origin story / season finale posted the lowest consolidated rating in the history of New Who.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The origin story / season finale posted the lowest consolidated rating in the history of New Who.
    Yeah,you are right.