Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I disagree with your assessment of WASD. I can easily reach up to 7. not 5. and you seemed to leave out a lot of other keys in the area as well... zxvbgt for example.... that gives me 16 keys. + shift + ctrl + alt modifiers..... yeah...... sure, some of them don't work well with certain modifiers (alt 7 for example) so that reduces the number a bit.... but your number is certainly way off. oh yeah, and 5 F-keys i can hit all with ctrl or shift modifiers (not alt! lol)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    ESDF untill i die!!!

I dont like TFGH cause the modifier keys are too far away from my fingers =(

Here is why I am better than the OP. I use dominant fingers to control main abilities. i.e. index, middle and sometimes ring. The pinky is too weak and inaccurate to press all of the suggested buttons with anything close to the degree of precision that any of the other fingers can.

Deleted
    do not make simple things to complicated....

I would love to see some statistics how many different Spells / Keys players use / press in a heroicmode Raidbossfight. 10-15?

I don't use any ctrl modifiers, and have 3 alt modifiers, the rest are shift and regular keys (I have a little under 30 depending on what I'm playing) I never have any issues with keybinding, even in pvp, why on earth would I want to break in a new habit for no reward (even if I could easily reach more keys, what the fuck is left to bind?) that's also going to screw with me in other games because I'm used to moving my hand?

I used to play ESDF but imo TFGH is too far

For someone who doesn't have access to superior gaming equipment e.g. razer naga, this might be helpful. The only problem is the modifiers are too awkward to reach, and with the modifiers, you can have just as many binds as the TFGH or more. Interesting idea nonetheless.

Qwe for life.

I don't use TFGH myself. Although it allows me to use more numbers, I don't go past 5 since I consider it too far to reach, TFGH leaves Shift and Control out of comfortable reach. Also, as some have mentioned before Keyboard turning in general is not good. Specially in PVP where you need quick reactions. With keybinds including (`12345qertfgzxcvb) and adding modifier and smart use of macros you can play any class effectively. Now I agree Warlock are a pain, never have enough keybinds, but those only happen in PVP. Furthermore, These days everybody has 3 or more buttons on their Mouse. Utilize them before saying there are not quick key binds.

P.S. Lack of keybinds in PVE is a joke, honestly how hard is it to find 5 keys to bind for your DPS class. or 8 keys for Healer/Tanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TunderingAeacus View Post
    P.S. Lack of keybinds in PVE is a joke, honestly how hard is it to find 5 keys to bind for your DPS class. or 8 keys for Healer/Tanks.
    You're joking right ? Hahaha!! On my warrior tank I have at least 20 binds and other [long cd] clicks. On DPS I usually have 12-15 binds.

OT: I'm using WASD and 1-5, then combinations with shift.

Deleted
    I use 28 binds as holy priest (PvE). TunderingAecus is a troll anyway. On topic, even RDFG is too far away from shift and control making using them unnatural. (for my hands)

Deleted
    got around 60~ including the naga, WASD > WQE

10+ Year Old Account
    TFGH - Number of reachable keys, 40(that is every letter/number key including ~,. and stuff on the entire keyboard[note, realistically, not all of them are reachable, like ~ and =])
    WASD - Number of reachable keys, 15(going up to 5 on numbers as furthest over) + CTRL, ALT and SHIFT mods = 60

I think we see who won...

Also, WASD not natural? WASD is the furthest left position, easy to get to, TFGH is in the middle, slightly harder to center yourself than to go all the way left.

WASD is also better for people who click heal(or mouseover heal for that matter), as you get all the modifier keys in reach, making the same button do the multiple things. (Imagine '4' being Mind Freeze and SHIFT-4 as Strangulate. Then '4' + modifiers is always some sort of interupt)

I will say that ESDF is prob best, still have access to mod keys easily and you get a whole extra row of keys to use and modify.

I agree this would put more buttons in your left hand range, but like has been said by some others: how would you easily reach any modifier keys besides Alt?
    Also, this theory is based on full action bars, there is always the solution of a macro or, as has also been said by some, a Logitech G-series keyboard. Hell you might even want a Naga with so many buttons the rate at which you gain RSI is tripled.

All in all, I guess this -is- an option but it's not likely to catch on, I think.
    There are just better and easier and less needing-to-get-used-to alternatives.

Deleted
    The wonders of WASD are the Modifier keys that are close to your hand positioning, which allow you to basically use 3 to 7 times the keys you would be able to use without these. Also, I rebound my Q and E keys for abilities since Strafing and generally moving with a mouse is better and more controlled (Holding down the Right mouse button in order to strafe tends to be more efficient if you want more keys available to you since you're going to do that with Circlestrafing anyways). Next to that, a good players often remaps the S key to an ability since backpeddling reduces the character speed and thus inefficient. So with the WASD "system" that I use, I have:
    These easy accessible keys for abilities: QESRFTGVCXZ`12345\
    The following modifier keys(no combinations) used by thumb / pinkie: Shift, Alt, Ctrl
    Result: 18*4 = 72 abilities bound

With your TFGH "system", I can only reach my alt key with my pinky, right CTRL key when placing my hand in a very uncomfortable position (So basically only the Alt keys is of use here) and I would be able to use the following keys (assuming i have no strafing keys or backpeddle bound): 345678ERYUJKSDGXCVBNM< (can't use W key in combination with Alt Modifier)
    Resulting in: 22*2 + 1 = 45 abilities bound.

Whilst your system certainly is more viable for players who don't use modifier keys, it is still inferior to WASD when you consider modifier keys.

Note: This is purely taken from MY tests, MY playstyle and MY handsize. I do not have the biggest handsize, I always want one hand on the mouse and this is from a standpoint of a melee dps on the move (Meaning: Atleast one or two fingers on the WASD or TFGH), also not considering the razer naga.

With the razer naga set to numerical, I have 12 extra buttons to press that do not infer with my current setup, 2 extra mouse buttons, thus giving me:
    (18+14)*4 = 128 bound abilities.
    With the Anansi, this would be: (18+14)*8 = 256 abilities bound.

As you can see, WASD might be inferior to ESDF, but 68 key binds are more that sufficient to play your class effectively, Consider a naga and 128 buttons is more than enough to excel. An Anansi is just pure overkill.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2011-06-09 at 03:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WASD + Naga = Hotkey Problem solved

Deleted
    I prefer WASD since they are easy to find in keyboard (preventing missclicks), in G15 there is hole between capslock and A-key ^^

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malhkebre View Post
    You're joking right ? Hahaha!! On my warrior tank I have at least 20 binds and other [long cd] clicks. On DPS I usually have 12-15 binds.

OT: I'm using WASD and 1-5, then combinations with shift.
    same, I have about fifteen binds for my rogue in pve.
    Wasd, ctrl and shift are my friends.

I actually feel bad for people who have have A and D bound to "turn left/right" and S bound to back. If you noobs only knew how much harder you're making the game for yourself.

Oh well...its your $15 a month...if you have fun being bad I cant change your mind.

What about left handers? WASD works perfectly for me. TFGH sounds fail. How would I reach all the G keys on my G15?