Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Cool, I'll fade and Leap of Faith you to break Feign Death. Nice try though
    I will then Deterrence and wait for Feign Death to come off cool down, (Glyphed).

As a healer, I will heal and dispel pets but they are at the bottom of my priority list, so when there is incoming damage to the whole group, I'll heal tank>healer>dps>pet, so unfortunately sometimes they die before I get to them.

I'm a healer (and play lock as well), and I do heal pets. Great buffs and added DPS are worth having unless the idiot has the pet's taunt turned on, then I let it die. Plus, if the player isn't terrible he can tank with the pet in a pinch.

Health funnel got nerfed and doesn't heal for nearly the amount it used to, so now it's a fast channel, uber minor heal. It's usually faster to just resummon them if they die if the healer isn't healing them at all.

Not have pet health bars turned on is just....dumb, sorry. Plus it shows me if it's actually getting aggro so I can bitch out the player that has their pet taunting.
    Last edited by Poodles; 2011-01-01 at 01:54 PM.

Deleted
    lol healing pets - nice joke. Heal them yourself and even if they die you can resummon as demo instantly anyway with the talent

I'm here to heal the party, not micro-manage your pet for you. You chose the pet spec/class, it's your job to take care of your minion.

10+ Year Old Account
    MY pet contributes to MY dps, it's MY companion since level 48, so it's MY healing spell that keeps it alive.

If it dies, it's my fault for cruddy pet controlling, not the healer's fault.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Could you go over how it is a mana saving to cast a spell that costs mana over not casting a spell that costs mana?
    Its very simple actually.

Soul Link (Glyphed) transfers 25% of my damage taken to my pet.
    Fel Synergy 2/2 has a 100% chance to heal my pet by 15% of my damage dealt.
    Mana Feed 2/2 restores 4% of my total mana every time my pet critically hits with its normal attacks (4% mana that I do not have to lifetap for)

Because of this combination of spells and talents significant saving is made to the healers mana pool in most circumstances. It is my belief that the few instances where my pet requires a heal from the healer to prevent him from dying is less mana cost than the savings already provided above.

Now my pet consistantly does 25% of my dps, so lets take the theoretical example of a boss fight where the boss has 4 million health and I, and the other 2 dps are doing a total of 10,000 damage per second, the tank is doing 5000 damage per second and the healer is doing 0 damage per second. This means my pet is doing 2,500 damage per second. The total damage per second for the group with my pet alive is 35,000 resulting in a fight that lasts 114 seconds. The total damage per second of the group with my pet dead is 32,500 resulting in a fight that lasts 123 seconds. This means there are 9 seconds in this example where the healer is not required to expend ANY mana because of my pet.

Obviously that example isn't perfect because it assumes my pet dies at the start of the fight without having done any damage, but it suffices to make my point that increased dps equates to less healing required.

Quote Originally Posted by frunken View Post
    Every warlock should be tapping, topping off their pet with funnel (which can take a bit since funnel heals for shit) and soul harvesting between pulls.

So basically you'll start healing lock pets asap? Good to know.

A healer that cant toss a small heal -if they have the mana and time- to a pet that will die is just as lazy as the hunter/lock not healing it. It's that same mentality as not healing a person in fire, or a tank not taunting a loose mob. If you can afford to do it then do it. Yeah, they should be playing better, but shit happens, stop being so uptight.

Exactly as it should be.
    any fight where a pet is likely to take enough damage to eat through it's 90k+ health pool is one that will likely need the healer to be focussing on healing other more valuable team members. Keeping the pet up for 25% of your damage and the +10% spell power is hardly worth losing the tank, themselves as the healer or a dps that doesn't require a separate party to be healed to keep them at maximum capacity.

If you can't keep your own pet alive then maybe you should think of re-rolling to a non-pet class.

as a side note if a pet is doing something important, ie. off tanking a mob for some reason then I will toss it a couple of heals to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickkelbackk View Post
    I will then Deterrence and wait for Feign Death to come off cool down, (Glyphed).
    And what will you do for the other 20 seconds with no healing, aggro from the mobs and a dismissed pet? Apart from keep them busy while I run to the door with my mini sprints from Body and Soul and my 15% increased movement speed from Inner Will

On topic, if it's your pet it is your responsibility. Unless you are doing something wrong, your pet should not take enough damage to require direct healing from the healer, it has a 90% damage reduction from AoE and can be targeted by AoE heals.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2011-01-01 at 02:04 PM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemetha View Post
    So am I given to understand that as a demo lock I will no longer be expected to do the things we are relied on for, such as killing the groups of smaller adds on certain boss fights with Felstorm, or CCing mobs with seduce (which has a very long cast time and cannot be recast until it is broken).

I really don't mind if my pet isn't topped off completely. What I am asking for is that healers do not let my pet die when a) Their mana isn't at a critical level and b) Nobody else in the group is in dire need of healing and c) My pet is doing what it is supposed to be doing, be that killing adds or ccing etc etc.

Once again, if the logic of my argument is followed, healing a pet is a mana saving not a loss, so I am at a loss to understand the vitriolic responses from healers. I will be the first to say my pet is not the first priority, I will even accept that it should be the last priority, but I cannot accept that it doesn't have a priority.
    Ehm, your pet has -90% damage reduction from AoE, you should have Fel Synergy, healing your pet for 15% of all your damage. If these two + Health funnel are not keeping your pet alive then a) your pet is in the wrong place at the wrong time, your pets positioning is your responsibility b) your pet is tanking, its not a tank, stop that. I let dps die who try to tank, tell me why i shouldn't let a tanking pet die (unless its saving my arse 'cause the tank is bad / dead)

in short, my mana is too valuable to be considering pets, esp demo / bm pets that have perfect damage migation and passive healing. for the little bit of healing it should need either my AoE healing or your health funnel should suffice. I never have and never will have pets on my grid.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.

Deleted
    Pets are well worth healing in 5mans.
    In raids its abit more diffcult. I think alot of healers don't show pets on there grid, including myself. However if I have a rather quiet period (Parts of the fight where I know the damage won't spike) i'll target pets and heal if need be.

15+ Year Old Account
    If there is time to heal the pet between the damage the rest gets then MAYBE the pet gets healed. Other than that its screwed if the "master" doesn´t heal it. As allready mentioned you got abilities to heal it yourself so do it.

Who gives a crap about our pets, how about healing the godamn dps? as a hunter, i go whole fights at 30% health without heals

Deleted
    In heroics, pets' health bars are always showing but they're at the bottom of my priority list. I will only heal them when there's time and mana for it.
    You'd be a retard if you're having trouble what to chose. A dead pet, or a dead tank.

And besides, even though the buffs and the extra DPS from the pet is good, it that is the only way to kill a boss ... something is really wrong

This is what I dont understand when should your pet ever NEED a heal to not die?

You heal your pet for 15% of your damge done so say you deal 10k dps that 1,5k hps, this ontop of the fact that pets benefit from aoe heals, bouncing heals and group heals. Another point is that pets now have much lager health pools which with the 90% less aoe damage means that even if something bad happens and your pet take a hit you can allow it to stay low and felsynergy is going to bring it back to full.

Unless you try to tank mobs, break cc, forc him to stand infront of cleaves which his ai avoids on his own I dont see any time in current content unless you are playing badly that your pets should need more healing then you can give him.

I remember back before fel synergy and aoe damage reduction that pets could be hard to keep alive and often keeping a imp phase shifted was the best option, I also remember how liberating it was to sac your succy so you did not have to worry about your pets constantly dieing. But with all the changes pets are more or less just free dps that you have to press crtl+1 once a fight to get.

If you can mention ANY situtaion outside of soloing and pvp where you are having problem keeping your pet alive but with the content we got right now I just do not see it.

10+ Year Old Account
    For demology locks would this not keep you pet alive? Seems like a easy talent to pickup with any spec a lock can get.
    It maybe doesnt seem as a dps boost but since most healers want to use there mana smart (not wasting it on pets ) it would mean your pet stays alive and provides you with the dps boost you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    MY pet contributes to MY dps, it's MY companion since level 48, so it's MY healing spell that keeps it alive.

If it dies, it's my fault for cruddy pet controlling, not the healer's fault.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. This guy is going places.

While i do agree that pets are last on my prio list, saying that you will never ever have them on grid or any other raid interface is just plain stupid. They CC, dps or pick up that pesky mob going for the healer (if the hunter/lock is aware).
    If the pet in question is getting hammered i wont heal it, if only for healer agro. But when its doing its job i toss some heals at it when i have a free CD.

I am a healer to keep everyone in party and raid alive. That includes pets, and like any other member they have a rank on the prio list.
    Me > Tank > DPS > Pets (with the exception of mindless dps who dont kill adds )

Quote Originally Posted by Missbenedict View Post
    Who gives a crap about our pets, how about healing the godamn dps? as a hunter, i go whole fights at 30% health without heals
    What does it matter if you spent the whole fight at 30% if you didn't die? That actually sounds like you had an amazing healer who knew just how much to heal everyone.

This isn't Wrath, people don't need to be topped off and it's usually prohibitively expensive to do so. I have to keep reminding the paladin healer in our raids to not top people off so he doesn't oom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzimwhite View Post
    Since no one will say this I will, YOU ARE A METER HUMPER, no one cares about your DPS especially in cataclysm, DPS comes with the gear, its not about being ontop, its about coming out of an encounter alive. Pets benifit from AOE heals, thats all they need since the already come with some damage mitigation. ALSO I know for a fact beast master and Demo locks have talent points for a Instant rez on their pet if it should die.
    Healers cant waste their time on pets when there is others to keep alive, mana is hard to come by now these days. So as a healer F your pet, use a GCD to keep it alive and drop a slot on the meters, because chances are that person thats above you is going to die because they dont pay attention to mechanics all they see in numbers. Thats why in my guild those guys dont get loot. ALSO every one of you guys that has something to do with a pet L2 recall the pet if it starts to die. You have control over it not us, I dont heal people that stand in the fire and is not smart enough to move anyways, its a waste of mana, and IMO a waste of loot for people that continously do it.
    My advice turn off recount watch where your pet is, use the recall button and try to heal it yourself.
    My post has nothing to do with my DPS numbers except where it equates to shorter fight durations, which are a mana saving. It is about mana efficiency. As I have stated a number of times already, I have no expectation of any healer to heal my pet except as a last priority. I fully understand that healers are currently very concerned with mana costs. This is where the debate gets fuzzy for me. I have shown a series of logical arguments that a well placed heal on my pet is a mana saving for a healer, but healers continue to refuse to heal on a pet. To me this seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If someone can present me with some logical arguments as to why healing a pet is always a mana cost in the larger scale, then I will happily consider it, and if the reasoning is sound accept it and give up my argument, but so far all I have been met with is "l2p" "you chose a pet class" and "you are a meter hog". I do heal my pet as I have already said. Yes I did choose a pet class. Most of the time when my pet gets in trouble is when he is providing some kind of group utility such as killing smaller adds or ccing targets, or at a pinch tanking where the tank has fallen. None of these is the issue. The issue is purely around mana efficiency. Can any of the naysayers refute the logic of my arguments regarding mana efficiency?