Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaap View Post
    Seeing as goblins and gnomes would be the only race fit for a class like this, its nothing we will ever see.

Cmon really, a worgen being a "tinker" ?
    Gilneas was pretty advanced. Don't see why Worgen couldn't be Tinkers.

Out of all the popular hero classes that keep coming up, this is by far my least favorite. This is someone's day-job, not a walk of life that can be used to save Azeroth. There can be no Heroic bakers, no Arcane accountants, and no Runic cattle-ranchers. Yes, yes, robots are teh cool, but they are represented just fine in engineering. Fantasy game has fantasy classes.

Stick with your Runemaster thread which is much better and fits in this universe ten times more appropriately. This is horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenais View Post
    I agree, though wouldnt it be better for engineering to get something like this temporarily instead of a base class?

EDIT: maybe similar to metamorphasis for locks, but within reason, dont want it to be OP
    I think a class is the better option, since technology is pretty rampant throughout WoW, and there isn't a class that reflects it. Kind of weird to have knights and archers fighting ancient Robots in Halls of Origination, or even modern robots in Gnomeregan with no race taking advantage of these technological wonders all around them.

Sounds great but I have one question. What would a tinkerer do in pvp when melee gets in its min range? Would its gun work at min range or does he have to use his sole 1h sword to get away, since it cannot dual wield?
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    Sounds great but I have one question. What would a tinkerer do in pvp when melee gets in its min range? Would its gun work at min range or does he have to use his sole 1h sword to get away, since it cannot dual wield?
    Great post, and a big oversight on my part. The Tinker would clearly have to have some melee attacks outside of his/her mech to be viable.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a cool idea but I doubt Blizzard will ever do something like this. Everyone and their mother would roll this class since it can tank/heal and dps, and basically its 50x more awesome than any other class. I do agree that MMOs need something new, they are all pretty much the same, a mage/wizard shoots spells, a hunter/ranger shoots arrows, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Out of all the popular hero classes that keep coming up, this is by far my least favorite. This is someone's day-job, not a walk of life that can be used to save Azeroth. There can be no Heroic bakers, no Arcane accountants, and no Runic cattle-ranchers. Yes, yes, robots are teh cool, but they are represented just fine in engineering. Fantasy game has fantasy classes.

Stick with your Runemaster thread which is much better and fits in this universe ten times more appropriately. This is horrible.
    Actually the mechanic/tinker/engineer/scientist/alchemist/etc. class is a pretty common class in the fantasy genre. And again, technology is pretty rampant throughout Azeroth, Northrend, Outland, and in the current expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    As long as there's a mad chemist in another Tinker class suggestion thread, I'm happy. I just so wanna be a real Forsaken Apothecary.
    Hahaha Putricide / Putress in player form? Do want.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Only one of the specs is magic-oriented. Outside of that spec, what abilities or attributes did you feel were magic-based?
    I might have a bit quick on the gun to say magic-oriented. The point is that it's not enough engineering-oriented. Neither magic nor Alchemy have the same feeling as engineering, small technical parts, explosions, and advanced machines I think when I hear "Tinker".
    Clockwork is a great idea though. That one is playing off all the right values.

My idea, while not as elaborated as yours, would be this:
    Three different specs: One for tanking, one specializing in guns and tinkering around with them, and finally one based on melee combat / utility. Hitting enemies with cogwheels, laying explosives, CCing with machines and robot pets could all go into the melee spec.

It would have to be polished and further developed, but personally I think those would be better and more relevant specs for a "Tinker" class.

Deleted
    Is that true? Considering that I used Blizzard's lore and copyrighted material, I don't see how I could have any legal standing if I tried to collect any intellectual copyrights on this idea.
    No, my point was that they're too proud to implement community ideas of this magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaap View Post
    Seeing as goblins and gnomes would be the only race fit for a class like this, its nothing we will ever see.

Cmon really, a worgen being a "tinker" ?
    Can you really see a Tauren being a mage?
    No.

Thats why they arent mages.

And thats why Worgens wont be tinkers.

The races that probably will are;

Goblin,
    Gnome,
    Human,
    Dwarf,
    Forsaken (Possibly)
    Orc (Yet again, a possibility)
    Blood elf.

And some of those may be a long shot aswell.

This is, however, if Blizzard make this a normal class, and not a hero class.

I aprove =P...could probably get away with the ideas that would be too OP for engineering...& giving them to tinkers xP

Ooooo the fun we could have <3

But yer, I like the mech idea =P...what would happen when theyn are out of mechs though? Instantly die? Be too weak to acualy fight? Mabey they could have a few escape mechanics?

Another big problem I think is that because the ech cant be healed exept by repair, then in both pvp & pve, a decent amount of dmg from somthing like a large AoE attack, or being focused in pvp, is that the mech would always die realy quickly leaving teh tinker kinda useless...ways to solve this would be higher hp or stronger repair...that makes more problems though because enough hp to survive would be kinda over powered...probably atleast 5x that of tanks. As for the repair, youd just have the tinker spam repairing the mech, & the tinker cant be locked down due to the fact that hes IN the mech =P

It's an exelent idea, but theres definatly some challenges to overcome
    I'd play a tinker no problem ^^

---------- Post added 2011-02-22 at 01:04 AM ----------

[QUOTE=Clempson;10523309]Can you really see a Tauren being a mage?
    No.

Thats why they arent mages.

And thats why Worgens wont be tinkers.

The races that probably will are;

Goblin,
    Gnome,
    Human,
    Dwarf,
    Forsaken (Possibly)
    Orc (Yet again, a possibility)

Blood elf.

(the quote ends here...I always cut them off for some reason & its realy annoying)

I think those would be definate...alchemy is made for forsaken...have u SEEN all the stuff they do with their chemicals? xP Plus their dead humans, so if a human can do it surely a forsaken can (exept paladin)

As for orc, Hellfire citadel any1?

Id have to agree with the worgen / Tauren thing though...the whole HUGE/furry hands thing they've got going on would make tinkerin more than tricky..all the delicate wiring & mechanics & they would probs be clumsy with chemicals
    As for trolls, Same as worgen/tauren, but they've never realy been very...mechanical =/
    & Dreanei, altho technelogicaly advanced, their advanced alien tech/crystal thing doesn realy fit the whole tinker feel
    Last edited by Fogsworth; 2011-02-22 at 01:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmakerr View Post
    I might have a bit quick on the gun to say magic-oriented. The point is that it's not enough engineering-oriented. Neither magic nor Alchemy have the same feeling as engineering, small technical parts, explosions, and advanced machines I think when I hear "Tinker".
    Clockwork is a great idea though. That one is playing off all the right values.

My idea, while not as elaborated as yours, would be this:
    Three different specs: One for tanking, one specializing in guns and tinkering around with them, and finally one based on melee combat / utility. Hitting enemies with cogwheels, laying explosives, CCing with machines and robot pets could all go into the melee spec.

It would have to be polished and further developed, but personally I think those would be better and more relevant specs for a "Tinker" class.
    I included Magic because there are constructs and other mechanical units that utilize magic as a power source (see HoO). I included Alchemy because some races mix Alchemy with technology (i.e. the Forsaken), also its a great way to create a healing/support tree. I like your idea as well, and I'll definitely include talents that improve explosives and guns in the Clockwork talent tree.

---------- Post added 2011-02-22 at 01:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fogsworth View Post
    I aprove =P...could probably get away with the ideas that would be too OP for engineering...& giving them to tinkers xP

Ooooo the fun we could have <3

But yer, I like the mech idea =P...what would happen when theyn are out of mechs though? Instantly die? Be too weak to acualy fight? Mabey they could have a few escape mechanics?

Another big problem I think is that because the ech cant be healed exept by repair, then in both pvp & pve, a decent amount of dmg from somthing like a large AoE attack, or being focused in pvp, is that the mech would always die realy quickly leaving teh tinker kinda useless...ways to solve this would be higher hp or stronger repair...that makes more problems though because enough hp to survive would be kinda over powered...probably atleast 5x that of tanks. As for the repair, youd just have the tinker spam repairing the mech, & the tinker cant be locked down due to the fact that hes IN the mech =P

It's an exelent idea, but theres definatly some challenges to overcome.
    Well first off, any class that is focused on in PVP has a 90% chance of dying.

As for repair, and the Tinker's survivability outside the mech: There could be talents that make repair work faster, and like I said above, s/he would need some melee abilities to make them viable until they get their specialized mech form.

I was considering giving them the mechanical arms seen here;

As a baseline ability that has some mechanical abilities like Rocket punch. Don't know yet, but the feedback I'm getting here is really helpful, so keep it coming.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2011-02-22 at 01:37 AM.

I included Magic because there are constructs and other mechanical units that utilize magic as a power source (see HoO). I included Alchemy because some races mix Alchemy with technology (i.e. the Forsaken), also its a great way to create a healing/support tree. I like your idea as well, and I'll definitely include talents that improve explosives and guns in the Clockwork talent tree.
    That's a little like saying "I included a Conjuring Tree for mages because many mages make food through the arcane". Making food is a cool and relevant ability, people like it and use it, but it's not a main focus of the Class. A mage focuses on either Fire, Frost or Arcane. These are the core ideas of all mages. They can all make food, but that doesn't mean they should have a conjuring spec. Because slowing is a cool and useful utility, doesnt mean they should make an own "Slowing"-spec.

Where I'm going with this is that yes, it's true that the Forsaken combine engineering and alchemy, and some robots fuel on magic, but that doesn't mean these are good Core Ideas for a Tinker class. A Tinker class should be about tinkering and engineering, the same way a Warrior is about fighting and weapons.

You could add a chemical bomb as an ability, or give them magic-fueled robots. But I don't think Alchemy and Magic are good core ideas for a Tinker class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellmakerr View Post
    That's a little like saying "I included a Conjuring Tree for mages because many mages make food through the arcane". Making food is a cool and relevant ability, people like it and use it, but it's not a main focus of the Class. A mage focuses on either Fire, Frost or Arcane. These are the core ideas of all mages. They can all make food, but that doesn't mean they should have a conjuring spec. Because slowing is a cool and useful utility, doesnt mean they should make an own "Slowing"-spec.

Where I'm going with this is that yes, it's true that the Forsaken combine engineering and alchemy, and some robots fuel on magic, but that doesn't mean these are good Core Ideas for a Tinker class. A Tinker class should be about tinkering and engineering, the same way a Warrior is about fighting and weapons.

You could add a chemical bomb as an ability, or give them magic-fueled robots. But I don't think Alchemy and Magic are good core ideas for a Tinker class.
    Well conjuring is one subset of one branch of magic. My point is, there are tinkers who use magic to power their machines. There are tinkers who use chemicals and alchemy to power their machines. Then there are tinkers who use more conventional methods to power their machines.

A class should be broad enough to include all of those aspects. It would be strange to not have a tree that doesn't deal with magic based technology or alchemy based technology when it exists in the WoW universe. The Clockwork tree handles the more conventional methods you're talking about.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2011-02-22 at 01:36 AM.

Well conjuring is one subset of one branch of magic. My point is, there are tinkers who use magic to power their machines. There are tinkers who use chemicals and alchemy to power their machines. Then there are tinkers who use more conventional methods to power their machines.

A class should be broad enough to include all of those aspects. It would be strange to not have a tree that doesn't deal with magic based technology or alchemy based technology. The Clockwork tree handles the more conventional methods you're talking about.
    I see your point. However, I still feel it's kinda like giving Warriors one "Fighting Tree", which covers all the "conventional" warrior stuff, and then two gimmick trees like a "Charge" tree and a "Throwing weapon" tree. Charge and Throw Weapon are both cool, but not core ideas.

(...) there are tinkers who use magic to power their machines. There are tinkers who use chemicals and alchemy to power their machines. (...)
    If you want a class about machines only, then make a "Robotic" or something. You presented many great ideas, like Gun-fighting, Mechanical arms and explosives. In my opinion, these need to be more in focus. Machines is merely a part of the class, the way I see it. And I got the impression you thought the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added a pic featuring High Tinker Gelbin Mekkatorque to the OP. Never thought I'd see a cool Gnome picture.

Now you're just taking the piss with this Rift bollux. Aren't the Defiants technically "tinkers" themselves? Could be viable tho. I think it would be very interesting indeed, but too similar to Rift.

Gilneas was pretty advanced. Don't see why Worgen couldn't be Tinkers.
    Also Dwarves. And I guess Humans and Undead

When i saw the title, i thought, "lets see how cheesy this'll be...." but reading the specs and abilities u suggested, it seems well thought out, and would be a cool idea for a class. GJ