10+ Year Old Account

Will we ever see any influence/ homage to any of David Eddings lore creatures in WoW

Most is not all fantasy books/games/films etc follow a similar formula regarding it's races and creatures (dwarves, orcs, dragons, ogres, trolls etc) but does anyone reckon or feel that some of David Eddings fantasy creatures from the Belgariad should have a place in WoW? I personally would love to see them in new content and future expansions.

Belgariad beastiary (shameful c&p)

"Eldrakyn, Algroths, and Trolls. Trolls are found in the North of Cherek; little is revealed to the reader regarding them.

Algroths are native to Ulgoland, but occasionally venture into the areas surrounding the Ulgo mountains, usually Arendia. They are pack hunters and their claws are poisonous. Algroths are a species of monster dwelling in Ulgoland. It resembles a scaly ape with goat-like features. Their claws are poisonous, and make hooting sounds when in battle.

Eldrakyn, the strongest and smartest of these three bestial humanoids, are found near Ulgoland and may live for centuries. They have been known to raise and breed packs of Rock-Wolves. A similar creature called an "Ape-Bear" inhabits the Dalasian Protectorates in Mallorea.

Ape-Bear look a lot like the Eldrakyn and can be easily mistaken for them. They can be found in the mountains of South Mallorea

Hounds of Torak or Chandim were once Grolim Angaraks, changed by Torak into giant dog-like monsters. After Torak's defeat at the Battle of Vo Mimbre, Urvon went amongst them and convinced them that he spoke for Torak. He managed to convert a few back to Human form. They retain their intelligence and gift for sorcery, but the centuries have stripped all remnants of humanity from them (except perhaps sarcasm and sadism). They are also more dangerous in packs and like dogs are fanattically loyal to their master - Urvon.

Hrulgin are predatory creatures that closely resemble horses except for their fangs and claws. They are pack hunters, led by a single stallion.
    Hrulgin are a species of monster dwelling in Ulgoland. It resembles a horse from a distance, but up close you can tell that they have claws instead of hooves and fangs in place of teeth. They eat meat

Raveners are found in southern Cthol Murgos, and eat the bodies of the dead. In times of famine, pestilence or war the Raveners can go into a frenzy and attempt to eat the living as well as the dead. They are able to run for days, feeling nothing but all-consuming hunger. The only thing they fear is the sea, which they consider even hungrier than they.
    Rock-Wolves More closely resembling hyenas than wolves, these creatures are fierce pack hunters. One of their few fears is fire. It is not uncommon to see a pack of relatively domesticated rock-wolves under the command of an Eldrak."

I personally am very fond of the Belgariad & Mallorean, but would also like to see some of these creatures receive some recognition.

Anyone else's thoughts and opinions?

Dwarves, Elves and Goblins are all standard MMO fare.

Belgariads, Malloreans, Hrulgins, Qwerts and Wagfihgjbs are not.
    They are not going to directly lift unique creatures from a book, they might make pop culture references in quests but they have their own canon that they use for most of the monsters.

Hell yes! Love his books. My main is Beltira, a mage. This is the first post I've seen actually talking about his stuff. Just fantastic. I'd love to see more recognition of his stuff in popular fantasy media like WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a priest called Belkira lol?

That's what I'd love to see Eddings creations seeing some recognition if other media, Tolkien as far as I am aware, created the Ork/Orc did he not? yet now that is mainstream, so what is wrong with redefining a little bit of the fantasy genre and bringing a little more to the limelight.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    God I hope not. Easily one of the worst fantasy authors of all time.

---------- Post added 2011-01-11 at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    Do you have a priest called Belkira lol?

That's what I'd love to see Eddings creations seeing some recognition if other media, Tolkien as far as I am aware, created the Ork/Orc did he not? yet now that is mainstream, so what is wrong with redefining a little bit of the fantasy genre and bringing a little more to the limelight.
    No. Orc is a creature from mythology that Tolkien used. LotR is actually basically a mixture of Norse and Celtic mythology. Tolkien was trying to create an epic history for England similar to Norse mythology for the Norse. Nothing in Tolkien was new. Absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    Tolkien as far as I am aware, created the Ork/Orc did he not?
    I think you'll find that Tolkien in turn borrowed quite a few of his ideas from ancient folklore and writings such as Beowulf. I'm a fan of Eddings as well, but more so for his characters. There's no really good way to capture the magic of novels in a video game ... aside from just putting in an NPC with a name. WoW is doing it's own thing quite well... I'd prefer to enjoy Eddings books on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    Nothing in Tolkien was new. Absolutely nothing.
    I think that's a bit extreme. Tolkien's characters and their interaction was his own. No need to try and completely diminish what the guy did.
    Last edited by ent0mbed; 2011-01-11 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc

I mean having creatures in content, a new area or continent with some of Eddings creatures as mobs would be interesting a nice little nod as well.

Me and some friends often doscuss if Hrulgin could be a mount or a mob, could it be tameabale? Would Algroths be like Gnolls? etc