Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unhappy I need a GREAT rotation. (Survival) Please!

I've got pretty good gear, but i can't seem to find the right rotation, some help and how much dps that certain rotation does for you would help me a lot!
    Thanks!

It's really not a rotation, it's a priority system, and that's probably what your problem is. Would you mind linking your gear?

Priority is generally, for most people (but not all, as some have reported dropping Arcane Shot is a small DPS increase or their gear):
    Serpent Sting>Explosive Shot>Kill Shot if available>Black Arrow>Arcane Shot@+75 focus, Cobra Shot.

That's all that can really be said, the rest is just practice. Linking your gear to see if there are any glaring issues you may have missed may help.

IMO just check elitistjerks if you need help in that department rather than posting about that you don't know h2p your class.

Stickies at the top of the class page can answer most if not all general questions like this. Peruse and if then you still have questions start a new topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Priority is generally, for most people (but not all, as some have reported dropping Arcane Shot is a small DPS increase or their gear):
    Serpent Sting>Explosive Shot>Kill Shot if available>Black Arrow>Arcane Shot@+75 focus, Cobra Shot.
    Dropping arcane shot from your prio is only higher dps if you dump your focus too often and therefore aren't be able to cast explosive shot and black arrow on cooldown

A good rotation to start out with (After you get the feel of what it's like to DPS as a Survival hunter, you'll be able to determine what's right and wrong for you) goes as follows: (assuming this is a single target boss fight) Start out with a hunters mark, then SS-> CS -> ES -> CS -> BA. From here, you want to use ES whenever it's up, as it is our bread and butter ability, followed by using BA on cooldown as well. Use AS (As the gentleman who first replied said) when you're around 75+ focus, to dump. But be careful with this, if you get caught in a situation where you have 60-70 focus, and BA and/or ES is almost off cooldown, you're going to not want to dump with AS, and instead save your focus for your upcoming ES and/or BA. You don't have to worry about "keeping SS up", as CS obviously does that for us.

When you get an LnL proc, the highest DPS rotation currently is to ES -> CS -> ES -> CS -> ES (if you have the focus remaining after the two free ES's, which you should) Then just do double KS when the target is below 20%. Keep in mind that when you have all shots on cooldown, not enough focus to dump, you should be spamming CS until one of the many shot opportunities presents themselves, and you should be topping meters in no time.

lol @ OP surv is so easy now
    also there are forum posts on here about hunter rotations everyone serious or semi serious about the game also knows about elitist jerks / femaledwarf ect
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Open up with explosive, then serpent, then black arrow, and spam cobra shot till you have enough focus to do explosive shot, do that and refresh black arrow before you use explosive shot if you have the focus, and use kill command as a focus dump. Oh and for LnL procs, I just use explosive shot, kill command, explosive shot again, then continue with spamming cobra.

I've been averaging about 16-18k dps in 25 man raids, and about 14k in 5 mans. Also keep a cat and dog pet on hand to make up for whatever buffs are missing in 5 mans, and keep a ravager too, since no class can replace what the ravager brings to the table in case both cat and dog are covered.
    Last edited by Barash; 2011-01-14 at 05:52 AM.

Get your hast to ~6%, you'll be able to fit 3 cobras in between explosive's, make sure you always have enough focus to keep ba/es off cd, for lnl es/cs/es/as/es works pretty well, as always depends on the situation

Survival haven´t got a rotation! it´s a priority system! you will find it in Survival hunter Guides!

Quote Originally Posted by Blowlol View Post
    Survival haven´t got a rotation! it´s a priority system! you will find it in Survival hunter Guides!
    I can assure you that all the good hunters press the exact same buttons at the exact same point of time in all encounters. Right now you can ignore focus cap since the difference in DPS is so low it doesn't matter (less than 50). So basically, the rotation looks like this (with 757 haste):

SrS > BA > ES > CS x3 > ES > CS x3 > ES > CS x3 > ES > BA > CS x2 > ES ...

If you feel confident you might be able to stick in some arcane shots to dump focus, although the gain is very little.

Happy facerolling.

1. it is impossible to always press the same buttons at the exact point of time in all encouters! this is fact!
    2. its an damage decrease if you cast BA before ES! because ES is your main dmg source and you want to push it even more! so you cast it before BA!
    of course its just a minimal increase so a casual player can use your "rotation" but you can´t tell me that a "good hunter" use this rotation! hahahahhah xD^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scmeck View Post
    I can assure you that all the good hunters press the exact same buttons at the exact same point of time in all encounters. Right now you can ignore focus cap since the difference in DPS is so low it doesn't matter (less than 50). So basically, the rotation looks like this (with 757 haste):

SrS > BA > ES > CS x3 > ES > CS x3 > ES > CS x3 > ES > BA > CS x2 > ES ...

If you feel confident you might be able to stick in some arcane shots to dump focus, although the gain is very little.

Happy facerolling.
    Explosive before BA.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowlol View Post
    1. it is impossible to always press the same buttons at the exact point of time in all encouters! this is fact!
    2. its an damage decrease if you cast BA before ES! because ES is your main dmg source and you want to push it even more! so you cast it before BA!
    of course its just a minimal increase so a casual player can use your "rotation" but you can´t tell me that a "good hunter" use this rotation! hahahahhah xD^^
    1. Casual does not mean bad, unskilled, or uncaring about living up to their potential.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by themiller View Post
    Explosive before BA.

Also, Explosive before SrS.

ES > SrS > KS > BA > AS > CS

Arcane Shot should only be used after the target falls below 80% HP and when your focus is above 62 (or 75 to be safe).
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."

Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru View Post

Arcane Shot should only be used after the target falls below 80% HP and when your focus is above 62 (or 75 to be safe).
    I get a significant DPS loss using arcane shot at anything less than 80 focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru View Post

Its actually Serpent before Explosive because of the 10% damage if gives to everything.

Open with SrS, ES, then BA. You do NOT use ES first, you will not have the focus to use it again at 6 seconds due to the heavy amounts of focus used when opening (unless you are a belf with arcane torrent, then you can actually open with an ES first). The reason you do SrS first is for the 10% damage increase so you are getting more out of your initial opening combo, which is also important for threat purposes....it's lost dps if you don't do it this way. CS does hit harder than AS above the 80% mark because it has a very high chance of critting....if you are geared enough you can even have CS crit capped until 80%. Still might throw an AS in if I'm very high focus, but a lot of it is a judgement call.

Anyways, SrS >ES >BS>CS>AS is your standard priority...but AS and CS are very situational so those often swap...there is no scenario where CS is always better than AS and vice versa, its a judgement call thing depending on current focus, boss HP etc. KS pretty much takes number one priority when its up, and it helps to be as close to min range as possible then so your glyph can register. Alas, Bind Rapid Fire and Call of the Wild together. I prefer to use it fairly early on the fight but it depends on lust etc....you can use it twice in most fights (3 in some) so try and plan to do so accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by themiller View Post
    Its actually Serpent before Explosive because of the 10% damage if gives to everything.
    Actually turns out it's Explosive first. Sounds counterintuitive, but you won't make up the lost tick of ES throughout the fight from the SS bonus. I didn't believe either, but the math makes sense.

I just skimmed, so maybe I missed someone else say it, but:

Hunters Mark fucking basic.
    and pop any cooldowns you have that are 3min or less (i.e trinkets) as often as possible (I like to use mine on mobs with 1mil+ hp), unless you KNOW you are 3min or less away from a boss.