Unholy Mastery Idea: Necrosis

After looking at the unholy mastery change and how it just mimics frost, I had a bit of an idea. What would other DKs think if the unholy mastery was necrosis, but a bit modified. Scaling unsure of hence the "%" and the pet and minion part is on since unholy does use both. Any thoughts/suggestions would be nice.

Unholy Mastery: Necrosis
    Allows you, your pet and minions melee damage deal an additional % of the damage as shadow damage.

It's basically the same as the new +shadow mastery with the disadvantage of only being useful for single target damage. Necrosis and blood caked blade were making haste too good for unholy anyway so don't get hopeful.

Bleh i prefer the other one
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping for some kind of Proc. Alot more fun than just "+x amount of dmg."

Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    Yeah random chance for "x crap to happen" is way better, worked out really well for ret pallies I hear

Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    omg please no more rng shit.
    procs = bad

new mastery is good as it is!

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    RNG procing is bad for dps. its bad period. Leaves tons of room for error. If it was steady but based on how well you actually played (can't thing of an idea right this second) instead of just damage or whatever that might be ok but procing for a mastery would lower how beneficial it would be over the other stats and just bring it back to where it was before. The new one is much better.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Procs are not fundamentally bad, they are just hard to balance with the sort of accuracy that blizzard wants to apply to stat values.

For example, as it is runic empowerment/corruption is fine. But it would make an awful mastery because it would be very difficult to balance it such that mastery is on roughly the same level as the other stats because it would change how the class is played too much.

Proc based masteries can work, they are just usually more trouble than they are worth.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2011-01-17 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well the tanking plate shield masteries are proc based but they aren't different than they were before. now they just made it universal to apply such as they did with DKs. but a proc based DPS masteries provide too much randomness to want to pick up due to the uncertainty. It would only put mastery back at the bottom of the "to get" list. at least it would for me unless it was something pretty massive.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.

The only thing wrong with proc based dps masteries is that they are usually hard to balance, being random is not a bad thing on its own. Absolutely everything in this game is random.

People still gear for crit even though they could just get unlucky and not crit as much as they should. People still use proc trinkets and pick up proc talents even though they could get unlucky. The randomness isn't a big deal because over the several minutes of a boss fight the randomness will even out to produce relatively consistent results between different attempts.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2011-01-17 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    The only thing wrong with proc based dps masteries is that they are usually hard to balance, being random is not a bad thing on its own. Absolutely everything in this game is random.
    not everything. i can tell you when my runes are up. i can tell you when they will be up. i can look at my mod that tells me when to press what button when. but there is no mod that says "your proc is next be prepared to press this button"
    i don't mind randomness at all but if my dps is so "random" that i do 15k this time and 10k next time on the exact same single target pull of the same type of trash while pressing the same buttons that's not going to make me feel any better. I still think the current mastery change they have in mind is sufficient. Especially compared to the current one.

Well, that mastery isn't very good because what happens if your pet dies. I'll agree that our mastery is "boring" but its the best, non rng mastery we could ever ask for. Only other thing they could do is a mastery like this

"Increases your damage by x% on all abilities per disease you have on the target."

This would give you a real reason to have diseases up. But I like the one they are planning on better because you always have that +damage, haha

10+ Year Old Account
    even still, that wouldn't make the mastery better than the one they are planning to implement now. would still not benefit the pet which is still a large portion of our damage. Not benefiting the DK AND the pet just means you will ultimately deal less damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    not everything. i can tell you when my runes are up. i can tell you when they will be up.
    Runic empowerment.

And ignoring boss mechanic rng no spec is random enough to have a 5k dps difference between different pulls of the same fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Runic Empowerment may randomly pop up but in UH it can still be accounted for by addons.

And the difference may not be that different on long pulls but the point is that a random ability that also doesn't apply to your pet(making it still not as useful as the previous stats you would pick up) means you would have to hope and pray RNG is nice to you all the time at unpredictable rates per encounter. it may not be 5k difference per 10 minute fight but it certainly can be on 30 second pulls.