Poll: Best Overall Tanking Class in Cata

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Best Tanking Class so far?

Hello fellow gamers...

I was wondering what class people think is the strongest so far in Cata..

This should be a combined assessment of survivability, threat generation and ease of healing.

So, what is your choice and why?

i personally wouldnt say that any tank is stronger over the other 3, all have their strengths n weakness'

having said that in my opinion popularity is more towards paladins followed by druids, with DK's and warriors being tied in numbers
    TIRION: It is done
    RHONIN: I know it's done, I'm the d00d that did it
    TIRION: But without a lich king to chain it, the scourge will rampage across Azeroth, destroying all life, I am the only one who can bear this solemn burden.
    RHONIN: Because you did such a good job with the coliseum? I thought I fired your ass, Why are you even here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior are in a very good spot right now. If all tanks are 100% balanced then warriors are at an advantage since the class has been one of, if not the most popular class since Nov. 04
    Last edited by Warod; 2011-01-19 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Typo
    Feral Druids are the most "feared" class in PvP.
    Warodl - Warod

Quote Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post
    Hello fellow gamers...

I was wondering what class people think is the strongest so far in Cata..

This should be a combined assessment of survivability, threat generation and ease of healing.

So, what is your choice and why?
    Yea, all 4 are pretty balanced. Warriors are not the best at anything atm, but they are good at a lot. Bears seem to thrive on bosses.

The class that is played by the most skilled person.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Let's see here:

Pallies have great DPS as tanks, they can heal themselves on the odd occassion, they bring fantastic buffs and their mitigation is topnotch.
    They also have some awkward mechanics and IMO aren't that fun to play atm.

Warriors have great mitigation, some life saving CD's and can effectively manage large groups as well as single bosses.
    They also have average DPS, bring very little in the way of buffs and from what I've seen, their threat generation is a little lower than other classes.

Druids.... you can be a bear (honestly I have no idea how viable they are atm, but not many around)

DK's have the least mitigation of all classes and require high dodge/parry ratings to make up for it. They also self heal a lot which takes the strain off healers a little and their CD's compliment their healing to make for a strong class that doesn't depend on intensive healing like the others.
    Come patch, they will also be able to stack their bloodshields to make for better mitigation. They are not favoured as main tanks at this point.

As you can see, pros and cons all around, pick what feels the best to you.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Warriors are really strong in fights like al'akir and nefarion. Vigilance gives alot of vengeance for them, that no-other class has, this makes them awesome for tanking adds in those fights. Then again, I am a feral druid, and I am currently main-tanking both bosses for my own guild, though it has more to do with the warrior being better at adds, than me being able to "Over-tank" them.

Edit:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...shardik/simple

that's me, I am mainly dps for my guild, so no reforge to dodge etc(I currently use the same gear for both, though I got a token for the set helmet when the new dps meta arrives). Many healers did report that I take less damage than our MT(beefbucket - warrior) or our other 2nd tank(riordan - Paladin). No idea if they have their tanking gear on.
    Last edited by Freakwave; 2011-01-19 at 03:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate the responses, and the feedback is all good.

I am not asking this to choose one, as I have lvl 85 tanks of all 4 classes personally....I was wondering what people were seeing in their raids.

If you look at the top progression guilds in the world, they all use different tanking setups. I am aware that bring the player not the class is part of blizzards new mantra, but was curious what people were experiencing in their raids.

As for me, I will always love tanking on my warrior, but I am a bit subjective as it was my first char and have tanked one since vanilla. But even in my guild there seems to be differing feedback from our healers as far as mitigation goes, so I just wondered what the wider world was seeing!

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to go with warrior option, only thing we really lack is some more selfhealing.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

Yeah, my main atm is my Death Knight, and I've found Blood Tanking to be pretty damn fun, but my guild generally uses Pally tanks when we raid & i just go in my dps spec.

But overall, I'd have to agree with what's been said - the tanks all seem fairly even

To answer your most recent post - I've seen mostly Pallies tanking in raids thanks to Kings/Might, and Word of Glory and Lay on Hands in emergencies

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be very suprised if progression guilds dont have either a Pally or Warrior as one of their tanks.

I off Tank with my DK during raids and our main is a warrior.

Taking Argaloth as an example (since damage is spread pretty evenly between tanks)
    On average I will take 10-15% more damage by the end of the fight. I will also heal myself for around 20% of total damage done to me during the fight.
    I prefer to have a warrior tank during times of enrage's and other effects that require big CD's to be popped, as DK's are fantastic for a 1 off slaughterfest from mobs thanks mostly to Icebound Fortitude, but lack the CD's to continually deal with large portions of damage.

With the changes coming to Bloodshield in the next patch I'm hoping to see around a 5% decrease to overall damage taken, and up from there with CD's in effect, which will make taking enrages etc slightly easier to bear.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Few things I forgot to mention. I am specced for Nurturing instincts in my tank spec, it really helps in Nefa P2 when I can help with healing during electrocute(6k healing from my agi, awesome for tranquility etc), same in Chimaeron during feuds. Same with our Paladin tank, he can do -20% damage to everyone every other electrocute.

No idea about DK tanks, but the tanking really seems balanced atm.
    Last edited by Freakwave; 2011-01-19 at 03:30 AM.

As a healer I have to say that I have a easier time healing Death Knight tanks because of the self healing and self sheild that they have. I also have not seen a Death Knight lose threat before. Though I guess I have never seen a fail Death knight tank so far in cata. I hope I never find one either.

10+ Year Old Account
    as a healer, i preffer palys and warriors. and definitely not DKs.

I don't see how Druids can be too viable, especially after the patch. All we have is Barkskin, Survival Instincts, and Frenzied Regeneration, and the main reason for bringing a Druid was the health pool. Not so much the case anymore. Also, all of our Bear attacks are getting nerfed. Anybody care to defend Bears?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, me.

We are getting buffed in armor soon. We also favor agility, something no-other tanking class does, other tanks have to favour defensive stats to get defense, we can favour offensive stat to get both offense and defense. As a follow-up to this, we have a talent called nurturing instincts http://www.wowhead.com/spell=33873 that we can pick up, without losing anything important(either lose haste from stampede or quick stacking of FFF).

Healing is also really mana-intensive atm, so you can use the NI to help with that when not tanking(most bosses have phases where you don't get hit).

But, it really depends on your guild. Nothing that I said really applies to top guild, but if you have just recently cleared normal content on 25man(like me), feral tanks can be pretty awesome.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just done a little bit of casual raiding and I am always drawing threat off warrior tanks even if they are similarly geared, DKs are a bit harder to pull threat off.

I am a pally tank. They should probably nerf Holy radiance lol

Well i gotta say dk tankng has been easier since cataclysm, what with there being a dedicated tree, me not getting harassed by the spriest for being in blood spec while tanking, and the fact that our heals compliment the healers increased workload now